The Chronological History of Penn Reels, 1932-1957

Started by Bucktail, September 23, 2014, 12:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superhook

Hello to everyone,

I noticed there are many people interested in Penn reels and while i was reading through this thread about the wide 49's and the 49A's , i thought you might like to see the only 49A box I have ever seen. It was on ebay in Australia a few years ago. Somehow i managed to sneak through Alan's security and am now a member. This is my first posting here.

Lensters

I think that it is interesting that it has no outer rings.  I wonder why.

Also, welcome aboard.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Jerseymic

Superhook

Good observation . I'd be inclined to believe that someone removed them. The sideplates show they are moulded for the rings to be fitted. The #149's only had inner rings. We will have to see If other 49A's are found the same or with the outer rings fitted. I have seen South African 49A's and they were fitted with the usual 4 rings. Thanks for the welcome.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

broadway

Mike, good luck with the surf master. I'm sure you'll get it together with some persistence.
Cool find! If they made 1... I'm sure there are more out there but certainly not too many.
I can see a one of a kind reel being made as a prototype, but can't imagine a one of a kind prototype box.
Get some rings on that thing, so you can show her in her full glory. Thanks for letting us know that these things are out there.
Thanks
Dom

Penn Chronology

Hello Superhook, our adventure continues in what seems like a very Penn friendly place.

Greetings Penn Heads, it is good to be here.

Mike Cacioppo ;)

foakes

Good to have you on board, Mike --

We look forward to your sharing of Penn information.

Your knowledge is vast and accurate.

You are a Gentleman, a Scholar, and a judge of good reels...

All the Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Yeah buddy! Bout time you joined us, Mike.
I don't personally know you, but I've followed you on the orca forum, read some of your articles, and now I'm reading your book. You're definitely full of Penn knowledge and seem to be more than willing to share it.
Thanks for helping us understand our reels and their history better than anyone can.
Is it true that you have a revised version of your book in the works? Also, I heard about maybe a part 2 covering more recent reels than last book?
Welcome aboard.... You're gonna blend in here beautifully.
Thanks
Dom

Penn Chronology

Thanks for the welcome. I would have been hear earlier if I was aware of the site. I have been an ORCA member for many years, I work, Buy, Collect and Sell Penn and other brand Reels, take care of my family, write and sometimes even get time to go fishing.

I agree, what took me so long to get here? Now that I am here, I will gladly share and learn about whatever I can. Here are a couple of 49A pics.

For some reason the Preview feature is not working for me, so I am going to go for the post on the blind.

This first picture is a early Penn 49A which was found in a tackle shop in Alaska. The story goes, a visitor visiting Alaska from South Africa brought the reel into the shop for repair and never returned to pick it up. A few years down the road, the shop owner listed the reel on EBay, that is how I got it. It is a early 1950's model. Penn started working part numbered parts into their stock in the very early 1950's. Reels produced in those early 1950 years had a mix of numbered and non-numbered parts.  

Here is the logo. No way of knowing how many reels were made with the "A" imprinted after the model number but I do know that finding reels with the "A" in the logo outside of South Africa is no easy task. Even in South Africa, most of the wide 49's are not marked with the "A". Reason for that probably relates to the age. "A" marked models are older and more used up.

All 49's have trim rings on the outboard side of the plates as well as on the inboard side. The reel pictured with the box must have had them removed for a reason.

Well here goes my first attempt at posting here with photos.

broadway

Hey Mike,
   The photos came out perfect. I was just doing some research and thought you and the others would like to see the wealth of info that I found.
Page 2, 8 postings down is what I believe to be the answer to where/ why this reel came to be.
Very interesting stuff...
http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=84587&forum_id=39&page=2

Enjoy,
Dom
PS- Thanks for the explanation of why it would have a handle nut with numbers on it. I don't know why I didn't think of that after reading through your book.
You always say they didn't waste anything back then, so when they ran out of a part or box is when they changed over.
Thanks!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 17, 2014, 04:41:49 PM
Hello Superhook, our adventure continues in what seems like a very Penn friendly place.

Greetings Penn Heads, it is good to be here.

Mike Cacioppo ;)
Welcome aboard Mike, nice to have you with us.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Welcome aboard Mike!  Your reputation precedes you, and we look forward to having your wealth of knowledge available.  I too am an ORCA member and am looking forward to reading your book. 

Superhook,

Does the reel pictured above have the plastic/Bakelite spool on it?  My eyes might be playing tricks on me.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Welcome aboard Superhook, you're really coming in with a band ;D, thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.