Facing Your Mortality

Started by ChileRelleno, October 07, 2014, 07:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I smoked for 35 years Dom. I actually like the e-cig better. You just have to remember to charge it and keep some e-juice with you.
When you get ready, I'll show you the way brother. its the best thing I ever did! ;)
Life is Good!

broadway

Thanks for the motivation and confidence. I'll be taking you up on the offer of guidance ;)
Gotta quit stat!
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on October 14, 2014, 08:11:25 PM
I haven't but it's on my Christmas list... any specific one better than the other.
I thought 12 years ago when I switched to rolling my own that it would help me cut down/quit... it just got me really good at rolling. :o
Thanks for the thought, Daron
Dom
Are you sure you're not rolling broccoli di rape that they sell on your corner? ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

joel8080

Get your self a portible Blood Pressure machine there not expensive, log your pressure every day and if you see any spike call your Cardioligist, it's cheap insurance.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

broadway

Big Tim

Chille: I'm glad you are doing better...Get the diet down and live longer...Dom, QUIT SMOKING...The day before our SOA trip my cousin(51 years old) had 3 heart attacks & a stroke & lucky to be alive...I quit smoking and drinking when I got home cold turkey and then put on 30 lbs. and I'm already fat, then the cellulitis in the right leg...FUBAR... Started drinking again and no more fried foods, but now I'm stable on the weight and working towards getting to live longer and ruin my grandsons as revenge the my boy ;D ;D ;D So far no smoking  ;D ;D ;D

Big Tim

bluefish69

Quote from: joel8080 on October 15, 2014, 01:35:19 AM
Get your self a portible Blood Pressure machine there not expensive, log your pressure every day and if you see any spike call your Cardioligist, it's cheap insurance.

Joel8080

I quite smoking over 25 yrs. ago. I drink lightly 1-2 beers a day. I take 3 different B P meds daily & it stays so-so good. If something goes wrong no matter what, then I have had BP of 200/100. That was when I was told they wanted to remove part of my right Lung because of Cancer.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

I drink lightly too Mike. ;D
Did you have high blood pressure John?
I never thought I would ever quit smoking. My work went no smoking, so I had no choice. I figured if I could quit at work, There was no reason to light up afterwards. I work a lot of 12 and 16 hour shifts.
The e-cig just keeps giving you your nicotine fix without all the other bad stuff.
I'm not selling anything, I'm just saying, If I could put them down after 35 years and have no desire to have one. Anybody can do it. I did bum one off of Chris's girlfririend on our last trip to Pensacola. It was only one. Well, maybe one from Bob too. ;D
Life is Good!

jonnou

You can do it DOM!!!
I was a long time rollie smoker Yellow fingers and bitter lips (yeuk)
took me two years of cravings but Know you couldn't force me to have one  ;D ;D
you are the only one that can fix this  ;)
Good luck Jon

MFB

I only drink on two occasions, when it's my birthday and when it's not ;D.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Tiddlerbasher

I quit on the Millennium. I was suffering from flu that ended up as pleurosy - every time I coughed it felt like being stabbed. Cravings were delt with one day at a time. Each day that passed made me more resolute. The hardest part - actually making up your mind to stop (and meaning it)! Cold turkey - it's the only way.
I only drink on days with a "y" in them  ;)

bluefish69

The Hospital that I worked in was No Smoking. I worked in the Machine Rooms on the Air Handlers that made the AC & Heating and ran the Absorption Machine for Chilled Water so I was the only one in there. I had my Ash Tray on my work bench with the remains in it. I was never bothered by Fire & Safety because he would light up with me. We only had Heat Detectors in the Machine Rooms no Smoke Detectors. I could smoke my brains out in these spaces.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

broadway

It's motivation to hear all the positive vibes and negative effects of smoking. As much as I know it's not good for me, it's nice to know I'm amongst others in the same boat.
It's really my only weakness other than... girls, reels, OCD, etc. Looks like I'm among good company. ;)  I'm not a drinker but will enjoy the nice Italian Zinfandel that Dominick brought us when he visited.
Tiddlerbasher, Does pleurisy go away? How ya feeling now that you're smoke free?
Bluefish Mike, I know the feeling...my biggest problem other than my addiction is the fact that I can smoke all day every day at my job because I work outside.
Jonnou, I haven't gotten the yellow fingers or lip issues because I use quintessential filter tips with my smokes... I'm very fancy 8)
Daron, I'd be scared to have a smoke after all that time off of 'em.  My old man quit twice for 5 and 6 years until he had one, then it was back to his old ways until emphysema on both lungs that made him quit for good. :'( I'm not trying to follow in those footsteps at all... gotta kick it stat!
Tim, My father gained nearly 70 lbs. when he quit but he breathes better than he did at normal weight and smoking. That says a lot right there. Better a few pounds over than smoke filled lungs. I'm sorry to hear about your cousin, but his misfortune may have added years to your life. Well done!
I admire you guys that quit, and you're gonna get me motivated to do the same. I'll keep yas posted.
Thanks again,
Dom

PS- Sorry to hijack your thread, Chile... How ya feeling after your ordeal? Feel good and get well soon.

Alto Mare

Dom, I've been off of them for over 25 years, what worked for me was to quit cold turkey. I never went back and don't miss them, well except for melting the tip on my fishing line.
By the way, when I quit, I had cigarettes in my pocket at all times...it helps.
Now, go ahead and show them who's the boss ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.