Facing Your Mortality

Started by ChileRelleno, October 07, 2014, 07:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Well, I had a scare yesterday & wound up spending 24hrs in the hospital for treatment, observation & testing.

Started off my Monday feeling fine, a few hours into my day & I was tired enough to take a 15min nap.
Normally I nap as needed & feel like a $1000.00 afterwards, not yesterday.
Two customers later I was exhausted, breathing hard, pressure in chest/head, light headed, numbness in right jaw & sweaty.
Customer told me I looked like sh**, I felt like it & took heed.
I dropped my trailer & bobtailed to the Emergency Room at the Washington County Hospital in Chatom, AL.

They took quick notice, all the signs of a cardiac event, I was on a gurney in a minute.
Fast forward several hours, EKGs, monitors, various meds, blood work, xrays & ect, I'm feeling much better.
I just wanted to go home, see my Primary & Cardiologist.
But the Doc did not want to let me out of the hospital, not even to go straight to home & see my Docs.
He was very adamant, "Mr.Cox I believe you're at serious risk of a full blown Heart Attack, you've some irregularities on your EKGs, I want you here under observation."

I could leave of course, but I would have to sign an 'Against Medical Advice' release waiver.
I could refuse to sign it, but they'd send it in to my insurance just the same.
Point is, my Insurance won't pay on a AMA discharge... And my wife was standing with the Doc... Lose/Lose.

24hrs later, IV, blood work, monitors & more... I'm finally back home & have appointments to see my Primary & Cardiac docs.
I'm glad I stayed, better safe than sorry.

Listen to your body, it will talk to ya.
I really think if I'd pushed it/or waited longer yesterday, I might not be here today.
Thank you Lord for another day.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Glad you are OK John. Time to lay off the triple Whataburgers. :o
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 07, 2014, 07:47:22 PM
Glad you are OK John. Time to lay off the triple Whataburgers. :o
Yep, and the caffeine too.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Oh no! not the coffee too.  Get well Chile.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Better safe than sorry...so you can be around another day...fishing.

Get well buddy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Dominick on October 07, 2014, 07:58:27 PM
Oh no! not the coffee too.  Get well Chile.  Dominick
Don't do coffee, I like the high octane energy drinks.
Ragnar Benson:

Marcq

Just wondering, why no caffeine ?

Marc..

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:

Marcq

Quote from: ChileRelleno on October 07, 2014, 10:04:20 PM
Quote from: Marcq on October 07, 2014, 09:21:30 PM
Just wondering, why no caffeine ?

Marc..
Gets my BP up.

I always thought that would be the case but my doctor/Cardiologist never asked me about my caffeine intake, for them it was always "are you still smoking"

One thing that helped me a lot to get my BP down was reducing salt/meat intake, it's not to hard since my wife doesn't eat meat anymore and I'm the one that cooks so it's helping me at the same time, I eat a big fat juicy steak once in a while and lots of fish

Marc..

MFB

Hope you make a speedy recovery.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Alto Mare

Hang in there but, make some changes and you will be good. I've noticed lots of fried fish on your plate in the past, stay away from it, just throw it on the grill and splash some olive oil and lemon juice on it from now on.
Get well soon.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

whew!!!  glad you got through ok!  too much caffeine, but i never smoked.  my dad still smokes, though.  mom says that he gets so mean tempered when he tries to quit that she says she would rather have him smoke and die early than have him quit and have to put up with him for those extra years. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marcq

Quote from: alantani on October 08, 2014, 12:27:03 AM
  mom says that he gets so mean tempered when he tries to quit that she says she would rather have him smoke and die early than have him quit and have to put up with him for those extra years. 
;D That's a good one

Marc..

ChileRelleno

Quote from: alantani on October 08, 2014, 12:27:03 AM
whew!!!  glad you got through ok!  too much caffeine, but i never smoked.  my dad still smokes, though.  mom says that he gets so mean tempered when he tries to quit that she says she would rather have him smoke and die early than have him quit and have to put up with him for those extra years. 
I quit smoking long ago, one of the hardest things I ever accomplished.
They say tobacco can be as hard as heroin to quit for some people.
I've quit tobacco, alcohol, drugs & coffee.

Now I have to quit another major addiction, my bad eating habits.

Yes'sir Sal,
way too many fried foods in my diet... Recommendation noted, I love grilled fish.
Ragnar Benson:

DaBigOno

Take care of yourself Chile, and fish another day
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono