Wireline reels

Started by FatTuna, October 17, 2014, 01:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

Thanks a lot guys.

I had to take the line off regardless but I like the idea of removing it at the end of the year. I like to know what my spool looks like and that's a good point about checking it for kinks. The thing I really like about your setup is if you have a kink you can just cut out a section and reconnect the dacron. That way you don't just waste a bunch of wire.

I found this online but I don't know much about the quality: http://www.eastcoastfishingwire.com/. I might order some and test it out. If so I'll report back.

I think that my friend had monel because his wire felt nice and soft. It definitely is worth the extra money.

Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do with all that stainless I have. Maybe I'll try turning it into bluefish leader?

George4741

Quote from: Sudsy on October 31, 2014, 11:56:12 PM

....most of the parts that Newell made for them can go on the 350.

Sudsy, did you have to do any modification to the sideplates so the Newell spacer bar would fit?  I tried to fit one to my 350 and the screw holes didn't quite line up.
viurem lliures o morirem

broadway

That's the best part... you only lose 75' instead of 300'.
I just checked out that site you posted and I have to say I'm very curious about the custom I-wire that has no memory ???
Monel is day and night better than the stainless... I hate the stainless and won't fish it any more.  The only thing it has going for it is that it's easier to make a haywire twist in because it's stiffer.
Stay well and go get those stripers,
Dom

FatTuna

That's huge. The first time I fished wire, my buddy got a kink and junked the whole spool ???. It seemed like an incredible waste.

There is no price listed next to the I-wire. Maybe I'll shoot that guy an email and inquire about it. If I end up getting some I'll report back. Probably won't be for a while though because the stripers are long gone up here. I'm already getting ready for next year  ;D.

Thanks again for the info, I learned a lot.

broadway

Looks like we're in the same boat ;)
Preparation is the key to nailing the big ones.
Dom