Wireline reels

Started by FatTuna, October 17, 2014, 01:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

Can any reel with a chrome over brass spool be used for wireline? Would an older jigmaster be a good choice? I know a lot of people like the 113h for wire. Anyone else try a different reel?

Bryan Young

The chrome spools, if I recall correctly are 3-piece.  I would not recommend it.  I also think that the jigmaster would be too small for wirelining...but I have never done that type of fishing, so cannot comment positively.  Just seems like you'll be outgunned.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

FatTuna

Thanks Bryan, I don't have much experience with wireline either. I've used it about a dozen times on my friends boat and I want to try it on mine now. It's a pretty cool technique. It mimics a lobster in the sand.

foakes

Hi fatstriper --

You could consider a Penn 349 Master Mariner --

These are designed for wire trolling, lead core, or Dacron line.

Comes with a narrow, high, one piece spool.

Larger drags, either 2.5 or 3.25 to 1 gears, engaged reverse gear lever to prevent stripping of gears when letting heavy wire tackle out, double rings, harness lugs, heavier bridge.

These can be picked up fairly reasonably, and if one desires, there are some great upgrades that you would not spend too much for (cf & SS drag stack, greased), etc.

The 349 is a cut above the 149 and 49 -- just like a Senator is a cut above a Long Beach.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

FatTuna

Sounds like a good winter project  ;D. I saw a guy selling one on Ebay a little ways back. Does the narrow spool help with the wire?

foakes

Yes,

The narrow spool (1 5/8" wide) handles the wire much better since the weight of the wire is piled up higher in a straighter line.  And the weight of the wire helps with the rotation of the spool.

A wider spool would have more retrieve issues to deal with.  Narrow is much better and stronger with the right one-piece spool.

If you go this route -- show us some photos.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CaptainRMF

Hey fatstriper, it's Richy from New Jersey. Been fishing wire line up here in Raritan Bay for Blues and Stipers all my life. I have 3 Master Mariner 349's set up with wire and a spare 113H also. Mostly do trolling in the spring and fall for those big Bass with this setup. I run 150' of 30lb. Monel Wire backed up with 30lb. mono. It's great for getting Bunker Spoons or Rigs down about 20'-30'. Has never failed me yet. MOST IMPORTANT is to remember to spool it with your thumb when reeling in and don't give it slack or you're gonna get a bad KINK and it will snap. TRUST ME I know from experience !!! LOL.  Love the way the big side plates on the 349's lay right against your arm for great control of the reel when reeling in those 30lb. BASS. Enjoy.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

FatTuna

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. I will post up a picture of my setups when I get them.

Richy, it sounds like you have your striper fishing all figured out. I'm just started to get into some new techniques. Not many guys up here troll with bunker spoons or parachutes. I found some good areas where I want to try it out.

I haven't tried the monel wire yet but it seems worth the extra money. I read that it's softer and has less memory.

Do you use the outrodders for your bunker spoon setups?

CaptainRMF

Hey fatstriper, yes I do use outrodders. Have a guy in our boatyard that's a welder and made some  laydown holders that a great for trolling. Gets the lines way out from the boat with my 9' custom trolling poles so I can troll a center pole out the back if I want to without getting tangled. There is a guy from up here that makes and sells a nice set called Tony Maja Outrodders. He's on the web under that name. They fit in your poleholder and lay flat down and tilt up to remove the pole. As for the Monel, it costs a little more but way better than the Stainless wire. A lot less memory and doesn't kink as easy. I also use a 25' leader 60-80lb. mono at the end of the wire with snap swivel. Some guys up here use 300' of wire to get deeper but it's a waste of wire. I use a 2-6oz. beaded drail weight btwn the wire and leader to get down deep, you just have to hand line the leader and fish in. Next time down the boat will take some pics. and post. Good luck fishin.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Hey fatstriper just had another thought for you. If you are gonna go wire line make sure you poles have either Aluminum Oxide or Carbaloy guides on them. Anything else won't last. The wire will cut a grove in the tips on plain stainless or ceramic guides. My first trolling poles were Shakespear model no. BWB 1120 80. They are 8' with aluminum oxide gudies. Fished them for 20+yrs. and still in great shape plus they still sell them for about $75 if you don't want the expense of custom rods. Just an FYI. Richy                    PS: here's a pic of the rod with a 349 reel. Not the greatest but you get the idea.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Mornin fatstriper. Down at the boat yesterday, too windy to fish so took some pics of my trolling setup to give you an idea. The pole is not my 9' trolling pole just a spare 7' with a 4/0 on it to give you an idea. Safety line hooks to pole to take strain off the pole when trolling and unhooks when reeling in the BIG ONES ! Hope this helps you. Rgds. Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Etchase

Why would a three piece spoil be a problem with wire?

foakes

The 3-piece spools generally will tend to spread out --

This is true with the mono lines as they are retrieved under back pressure.  The mono tends to wind up very tight -- at a slightly smaller diameter when stretched.  Often when the pressure is removed, the line will expand back to its original thickness -- but something has to give -- and it is generally a weaker 3-piece spool.

Sometimes it will just jam up the reel, other times it will damage the reel.

Either way, it will spoil your day.

With the retrieve pressures involved, wire will also spread out a 3-piece spool -- particularly one as narrow and tall as the Mariner series.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

broadway

Fatstriper,
      Been wire lining quite a bit in the past 6 years or so.  I make my own umbrella rigs and customize my bunker spoons a bit as well to make them swim differently, but am by no means a pro.
When I spool up my 113h's I use 200' of 50lb hi-vis yellow dacron connected by a haywire twist to 300' of 40lb monel and make 3 breaks in the wire (using the dacron for 2' in between each 75' connected from haywire twist to albright knot) . The first at 75', next 150', and 225'. I use a sharpie to change the color of the hi vis yellow so I can tell how much line is out.  Mono isn't the right backing for wire as it will eventually have the wire cut into it and it degrades much more quickly than dacron.  I find the 349's to be too heavy (esp. top heavy) for our type of fishing.  I wind the wire on my reel as I fight the fish so it doesn't bunch up in the center and jam you up to where you'll be hand lining the last 50' because you ran out of room on the spool.  Always use the chromed over soils and never the aluminum.  I haven't tried the 3-piece spools because of the chance of spreading (like Fred said.) I remove the wire and place it on a spare spool every winter to prevent excess corrosion and retie all knots and heck for kinks.  If/when you lose your first cow, you'll see why I do all the extra work. ;)
Also, if you go the 113h route you'll be able to upgrade your 113h's with so many bells and whistles to pump them up to the nines to make sure you can winch in anything you get on the line. The jig master ain't gonna cut it, and either is the 112h (even with ss gears, trust me)
Stick with it! ...it's not like any other fishing out there, so be patient, you'll get the hang of it.
All the best,
Dom
PS- Do as rich said, and get a pair of outrodders and safety lines (Thanks Dominick! ;))  ...they're not optional, they're a necessity!

bluefish69

Do

Where do you get the tube for your umbrella rigs. I make them.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.