Sand Trap

Started by Shark Hunter, October 22, 2014, 11:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Outstanding job there Daron. That handle is really cool looking and I know where that one came from. Pretty work buddy.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Doug on November 23, 2014, 02:24:30 PM
Really nice job Daron! How hard was it to remove the bearings , aside from the cleanup I thought that would be the most difficult part without doing damage to the housing  Doug  
The main gear bearings weren't that tough Doug. I just supported the case with pieces of wood and found a correct size metal sleeve and knocked them out. The pinion bearing proved to be tougher.
I don't have a puller small enough for this, so I just thought for a minute. I have a steering wheel puller that might have worked, but I was afraid of cracking the case. I used a crescent wrench on the pinion. I put the nut on the end of the pinion and slid the jaws under it. Turned the reel over and hit the crescent with a hammer. It took a couple good whacks, and I alternated sides. That baby was in there! But If anything broke, it would have been the pinion I was taking out or the nut attached to it. I knew if I tried to push it out from the inside, I would have broke the support.
Life is Good!

Doug

Very clever solution might have to try that one myself if I need to   Doug

Shark Hunter

I get bored sometimes and look through old posts. Sometimes it is more Gratifying and It keeps me off Ebay, Buying more.
Sand Trap Before.

Sand Trap after. ;)

I can't wait to get back to the Coast.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

There is alot of great info buried in the older posts here.  I like to peruse some of them periodically. 

Daron,
Did you hear about that monster Hammerhead from the sand?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mo65

Wow Daron...this makes me want to go find a complete piece of crap and rebuild it. I'm glad you resurfaced this thread...I've been looking through the archives but hadn't seen this one. Great work!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 03, 2016, 05:37:53 AM
There is alot of great info buried in the older posts here.  I like to peruse some of them periodically. 

Daron,
This one?
Great to Hear it swam away.
http://www.kionrightnow.com/news/nation-world/3-anglers-catch-13foot-hammerhead-shark/41029164
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 03, 2016, 05:35:19 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 03, 2016, 05:37:53 AM

Daron,
This one?
Great to Hear it swam away.
http://www.kionrightnow.com/news/nation-world/3-anglers-catch-13foot-hammerhead-shark/41029164

That's the one. 

Getting good release is particularly valuable to the population on these big females.  The GOM (and Atlantic in general) Hammerheads are doing much better (moving towards recovery) then their Pacific counterparts.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

swill88

How long will it take for the saltwater to eat away the hook?

steve

Dominick

Daron I just know you had fun bringing that sucker back from an early grave.  We live for those challenges.  Good job.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

reelrepair123

great job like always daron nice,   way to go.   harryk