Sand Trap

Started by Shark Hunter, October 22, 2014, 11:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

How does a reel with this much sand in it still function and look like new on the outside?
It would only turn about a half a crank. I was hoping to just find it dried out on the inside.
Crap! Its a Sand Trap! >:( How did all this get in there?
I couldn't hear the dogs clicking, but the anti reverse worked. They are froze up.
Don't judge a book by its cover. ::)

Life is Good!

Doug

Wow   Wait till you try to pull the bearings I hope you have a good puller  Doug

cwillis85

That looks like a friend gave someone bad advice, "Why use grease when nature give us so much natural lubricants,  just go pack the reel with sand and salt water." Sorry someone pull one over on you, good time to find a brass main and pinon I guess.
Chris

handi2

You are lucky the screws came out. I see them like that a few times a year. Why do anything till it quits working???
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

When Daron is done with this reel -- it will function very well.

That is these old Penn reels, for you...

Try that sand trick with a graphite (marketing description for plastic) reel, and cheap gears -- and you will be fortunate to salvage the crank, and just throw the rest in the trash bin.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

The reel came yesterday and I couldn't wait to get home from work and open it up. Boy, was I disappointed. I told the seller to credit me $25 and we would call it even. I can save her.
Keith, I use a small impact driver to remove stubborn screws. A regular screwdriver wasn't going to work here. I don't think it was saltwater. The main bearing came right off the gear. I think its creek silt.
The hard part is going to be getting all the grit out. ::)
Life is Good!

bluefish69

So Daron is going to take of Golf now. Watch out for Sand Traps.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

wallacewt

sh,try the vinegar trick for an hour or two
to get you started ;)

Shark Hunter

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 22, 2014, 09:32:40 PM
So Daron is going to take of Golf now. Watch out for Sand Traps.
No Golf Mike. I Despise it!
Life is Good!

the_reel_doc

Looks like someone was building sand castles at the beach and forgot their shovel and that reel was ALL they had to dig with. I see a few like that from time to time. Even had some that were worst if you can believe that!

fsrmn

Last time I had something like that I had to use a bead blaster to remove the sand. It had bonded with rust and corrosion to the metal.

Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

handi2

If you need any parts let me know. I seen to have an over stock of these parts.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

I sent you a pm Keith.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I finally got time to go through this Sand trap. The bearings took a little persuasion with a Hammer, but I got them out, removed the shields, re oiled and replaced.

I used WD-40, simple green and some wire brushing with the dremel to bring this reel back to working condition.

Everything greased. Ready to wrap this up.

Down to the pivot, I got this. No parts needed. I Prevail!

Piece of Cake. The Sand Trap Lives Again! ;D
Life is Good!

wallacewt

your a marvel MR SHEEN ;)