Long Beach 66

Started by Newell Nut, November 20, 2014, 03:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Thanks Ted! No, no dremel to this baby. The stand also has no numbers and no taper. This reel appears to be new, I don't believe it was ever uses.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Thats a beauty Sal. I can never have a nice reel like that. Makes me want to fish it even more  ;D

Superhook

Hello Sal, I'd guess your reel would be about 1941 or newer. The one before had the same scene but without all the raised letters. Nice find.

Alto Mare

Yes, I'm also guessing mid 40's. I believe the spool isn't original, the last one I had a while back came with a plastic black spool. everything else seems to be original.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I wonder how penn made those scenes on the plates back in the day? You think they were done by hand?
Life is Good!

Doug

Back then the only why would be to engrave them into the mold by hand   Doug

Maxed Out

Quote from: Superhook on December 18, 2014, 11:28:38 AM
Hello Sal, I'd guess your reel would be about 1941 or newer. The one before had the same scene but without all the raised letters. Nice find.

So are all the pre-war long beach reels generically stamped "long beach" ??? I never knew about the raised letters. I have a couple that I believe are early 40's and the head plate logo just says "long Beach", no size, Hershey clicker and one has rod clamp that wasn't an option till early 40's. Then I see a mid 40's long beach and the size is stamped into the logo. I always assumed the size stamping started right after the war ended, when the factory started making reels again. Of course that is all conjecture from years of messing with those reels. Much thicker metal on the handle arm and star adjuster are a dead giveaway of a pre war long beach. After the war those metal parts were noticeably thinner with un-polished edges.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

After seeing your pic Sal. I found a really nice 60 with a red Handle and the same plate. This brand new 14 has a nice plate too! ;D Thanks for the Chocolate Covered Cheerios Dom! ;)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

This is how I like to find them. ;) Almost New, no corrosion, stainless spool and all that is needed is some fresh grease and Cal's.
Its a 67 and its in great shape. Just one upgrade, a stainless sleeve. This little reel is a Beast!
All I had to do was scrounge up a clamp. I think it was a good investment for $30.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Long Beach 67 with picture plate. The handle is a little wobbly, but I think this is a great find. ;)
One of the posts had a screw broken off in it. A 113H post is a perfect replacement. ;)
Just needs a good cleaning. I have a party to go to, or I would do it now! ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

That's a nice looking truly 'vintage' reel you'very got there Daron.  Don'the double dog that one.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I won't John. I'm going to go back and put the 66 in stock form too.
Life is Good!

Fishit 2

A friend from Philly gave me an old LongBeach 66, haven't taken it apart yet but it looks like it was never opened. The left side plate has a chip in it so I would like to find an engraved plate, Im guessing I can use a plate from a 60,65 and 68?
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

foakes

Hi fishit2 --

Needs to be a 27-66  --  66,67,68 reel -- these are the right diameter and hole pattern.

The 60s & 65s have 4 posts instead of the 6 needed, and a smaller diameter plate.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Picked up another 66 this week.
Looks to be a 40's model in great Shape.
These aren't as easy to find as they used to be. ::)
Life is Good!