salt reels and salt prevention

Started by Brewer, October 18, 2010, 03:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewer

i live up here in wa. state. guys seem to have a extreme fascination with abu reels and using them in the salt. i feel this is a poor tool (abu) for the salt water.  i get 6000/7000 series abus' frequently with extreme corrosion throughout. then wanting the stiff/stuck solid problems to be fixed. takes alot of work.

any thoughts on what style and brand of penn or diawa reels would be better suited than the 6000/7000 series abus.?

next i find guys that spray wd40 on the abus' and feel this will be all the preventative maintainance needed after the fresh water rinse. any further thoughts a better solution if any?
"stay thirsty my friends"

CapeFish

Shimano Torium 14 or Trinidad 14 or 12, but now they even make them in size 10. They can handle extreme abuse more than most Daiwa models and Penns. You can swim with them day in and out, rinse them off and as long as you open them every so often to lube they work like a charm. I am not sure if the Torium 14 has a driveshaft bush like the larger models, but if it does replace it with the corresponding bearing as they tend to corrode onto the frame. Reports from guides that fished the surf dayly, a Daiwa SL30 lasted a month, Shimano 15/30 six months and a Trinidad 20 2 years.

My Toriums often go for a swim, when a wave brakes over your head after the cast it's a great backlash preventer! Spraying with WD40 doesn't seem to make much difference, but I leave them on an open shelf to dry after rinsing in freshwater and they all get the AT treatment on the inside. No sign of corrossion anywhere. If you packed them away in a box in a very humid environment WD40 on the outside should help

Bryan Young

I use my Abus in salt water all the time.  I coat all internal parts, screws, screw holes,... with Yamaha or Evinrude marine grease, use corrosionX and TSI301/321 on worm drive and other moving parts.  Was down well with fresh water after each trip.  Open reel up every 6 months to check and reapply grease/corrosionX/TSI301/321 as needed and good to go for another 6 months.  Probably could last a year, but I just check it every 6 months since the reel opens up easily.  Change drags out to Carbontex and you will be amazed on the drag performance.

No corrosion so far.  I don't think you need to change as all reels will have issues if they are not properly protected.

If you haven't read many of AT's posts, you will discover the same treatment for all reels, keep in mind, Alan fishes salt water only.  If the reel is only intended to be fished in fresh water only, coating all interals with grease will not be required, but I would still coat the screws and screw holes, and lube all moving parts.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Brewer on October 18, 2010, 03:44:32 PM
any thoughts on what style and brand of penn or diawa reels would be better suited than the 6000/7000 series abus.?
Brewer,
I just went surf fishing with my brother-in-law and I had to crack open his Daiwa SL30H to fix the non-functioning anti-reverse dog.  While inside I found saltwater corrosion on the dog spring holder (key #36) [fixed it,] and sand inside the right sideplate. Also sideplate screws had some corrosion on them. The screws were all tight so I don't know how the sand got inside. He uses the reel for surf fishing, always rinses his reels after and takes good care of his gear, and said it's been professionally serviced (with too much grease inside!). After removing the excess grease, I spread a THIN coat on the innards to prevent corrosion.  Look at Alan's repair tutorials - good place to find info on strong and weak points.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem on the SL series?

I used my Newell 220-5 for surf fishing and it performed without a hitch.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Phinaddict

Hey Brewer,
You didn't say what the reels were being used for so I'm guessing salmon and  bottom dwellers.

I would offer up a Shimano Charter Special TR1000LD for light trolling and bottom fishing duty... Graphite frame, dependable and easily repaired.

For casting, (and low price), the Penn 525 and 535, the Daiwa SL20Sh all have graphite frames as well. They are inexpensive, reliable, great drags and fast retrieve. Easy to work on too. Since they are graphite with lots of stainless, they tend to last quite awhile before needing service..... that's my  $.02

The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Brewer

yes the reels are being used for salt salmon and some bottom fshing.  thanks for the help and suggestions.

Bryan Young

I would go with the charter specials as Phinaddict indicated, and remove the line guide, and get a solid aluminum frame http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=501.0 if you need additional strength.  That is if you are not planning to use those Abus.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Wolli

has anybody experience with this stuff called Salt-X
as per my reserches not a CorrosionX product.

http://www.saltx.com/saltx_prod_saltx.htm

http://www.salt-x.com.au/

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

alantani

the trick with the ambassaduers is to go through them first.  a light coat of grease throughout the reel will go a long way towards preventing corrosion.  greased drags will eliminate failure.  open bearings will last longer and can be easily lubed.  i agree, though, that they can be a nightmare to work on if they are not serviced first. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Roger

I've been fishing ABU's in saltwater for over 45yrs and still fish them today. My son works on a research vessel in the GOM and he keeps a 7000 on the boat with him. I've had very few problems with them over the years. Have to swap out a few parts on them every now and then but that's normal. Regular service is the key....
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Dave Bentley

My ABU 7000 (Swedish Version) has been used in the Western Australia salt and sun for more than 20 years and the only parts replacement has been the level wind after 15 years and Dawn's drag upgrade. Tried Ceramic bearings but didn't like them and now back to SS.

I also use a SL30 and 50 in the surf for casting lures without a problem of salt or dirt ingress.

There are a lot of reels that are twice the price of mine but twice as good, mmm don't think so.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

Brewer

honestly i'm thinking that guys up here in the PNW don't think to have thier abus' serviced for salt prevention after purchase.  i do my very best to coat and lube each reel i service for any salt use. it's just tiring trying to get salt harshed reels back into fishable service.