Comunication

Started by Keta, December 04, 2014, 06:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Due to a severe lack of funds and a even worse lack of quality (Charter sucks and charges far too much for crap) we are cutting off our cable/internet as of 9/12.  Hopefully we will have a seamless transition to a new internet provider but if I go away it will not be for too long.  As soon as the internet is back up we will be cutting our phones back, $150 a month is BS.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Hi Lee --

I understand.

We are up in the mountains of Central California -- no cable and no reliable Satellite internet.

But we do have high speed DSL through our phone company.

We also have an antenna for TV -- but might only watch a show once or twice a year.

Instead, we pay about $59 for our Internet, and a separate charge for our landline -- which we do not need at all.  So that is a rip off.  We have a ROKU we bought for $50.  This enables us to subscribe to Netflix and Amazon for about $8 each per month.  We really don't need Amazon, but Amazon Prime includes free shipping on most items purchased online -- so that is worth it.  These two services have no advertisements, more than we could watch in a lifetime, always updated -- plus we can get PBS and about 100 other free networks that come with the ROKU.

The high speed DSL enables us to download, and more importantly, upload much more swiftly.

With our router, we have access from any computer, our IPads, printers, etc.

We have an extender on our phone system to make our house a mini cell tower through Verizon.  So even up here we have 4 bars of service on our cell phones.

You should be able to save $50 to $70 by making some adjustments to your communications.

Good luck -- and let us know what systems you figure out will work the best for you.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

i see a few trips to the local coffee shops in your future!  good luck with the transition. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

We bought a digital antenna and can get 6 or 7 channels, no CSPAN though.  "Slow" internet I can deal with for the $75 savings.  Cel phones I'm not sure about but I'm planning on billing my kids (all in their 20's) for theirs or shut them of.

Everyone needs to tell their cable and phone providers to stuff it and then prices might fall.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Lensters

I've done antenna TV my whole life, it isn't bad if you know a little bit of EM theory.  I only have had cell phones for emergency use except when my old job applied "the leash" as a benefit (too bad for them I didn't answer it when they called).  Now I pay $86 for the landline and highspeed DSL which I think is too much but I can't find a better solution out here in the stix.

I should mention that I'm an electrical engineer and a big part of that "old job" was working on the design of cell phones.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Shark Hunter

I pay $142 a month for Basic Cable and High speed Wifi. I pay $128 for my auto insurance and that's full coverage on two new Vehicles and liability on an old pick up. Yeah, thats fair. >:(
Time Warner Cable is the highest priced I have ever had, but I really don't have any other options besides satellite.
My wife needs the Wifi for her laptop and continuing education as an RN.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

I have been done with cable! I only do interest and watch all my TV through that. Stream it to my tv! On $60 a month!

Reel 224

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 05, 2014, 12:04:21 AM
I pay $142 a month for Basic Cable and High speed Wifi. I pay $128 for my auto insurance and that's full coverage on two new Vehicles and liability on an old pick up. Yeah, thats fair. >:(
Time Warner Cable is the highest priced I have ever had, but I really don't have any other options besides satellite.

I get the $142 a month charge for cable and WIFI..I mean that is a bit pricy. But $128 for auto insurance ??? Is that per month? Or year? I pay $1400.00 a year for insurance and that's for two vehicles which one is for farm use only, I have a perfect driving record and so does my wife,we both have college educations and excellent credit..so we are paying the lowest rate for auto. Cable here with WIFI and land line runs about $130.00 a month. I don't want to get into property tax. :'(
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

One of the reasons we are cutting back is to come up with the $ to pay our property tax, and it's cheep at just under $1000

Mark Twain

Lensters

Quote from: Keta on December 05, 2014, 03:39:53 AM
One of the reasons we are cutting back is to come up with the $ to pay our property tax, and it's cheep at just under $1000

Wow, only $1K, that is cheap for Oregon.  Mine rang in at just under $4K and I only have an acre and a half.  Benton County is pretty bad though, they pass every levy they can.  The bureaucrats are starving, give them more money!
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Keta

Klamath County is cheep.

Mark Twain

Reel 224

Okay so ya want to talk property tax >:( we are on a two acre property what is considered Agricultural Residential. Our tax bill is $8000.00+ each year The average tax in this area is $15000.00-$20000.00 so we are considered on the lower end ::) ??? NJ taxes are the highest in the country and we live in one of the highest paying County's in the state. THAT'S WHY I DIDN'T WANT TO TALK PROPERTY TAX!!! It sucks.

For a person who loves fishing this is a wonderful state, expenses to live here is out of control. I definitely don't want to talk about our political situation......     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 05, 2014, 02:40:36 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 05, 2014, 12:04:21 AM

I get the $142 a month charge for cable and WIFI..I mean that is a bit pricy. But $128 for auto insurance ??? Is that per month? Or year? I pay $1400.00 a year for insurance and that's for two vehicles which one is for farm use only, I have a perfect driving record and so does my wife,we both have college educations and excellent credit..so we are paying the lowest rate for auto. Cable here with WIFI and land line runs about $130.00 a month. I don't want to get into property tax. :'(
That's $128 a month for three vehicles. Two are new. A 2014 Chevy Cruz and a newer extended cab Silverado 4x4. The other one is a 1989 Silverado.
My property tax is $1090 a year. I have one acre in a suburb. Three bedroom Bi-level.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Well, in my area in California, I'm on an 6000 square foot lot and pay well over $8k/year in property taxes and another $1000/year in property tax for my boat (I cannot understand this one if my boat is on my property).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

I'm on an acre in north jersey and our property tax is just north of 17k. And I hear another increase is on the horizon. I gotta move :-\
luck is the residue of design.