new guy from lompoc

Started by ppvj64, December 06, 2014, 09:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppvj64

New guy to this great site. I have always just tossed reels when they got worn out which were always cheap old reels from like malwart, Started buying better reels and fixing them myself which I do enjoy but I always just bought parts and replaced them Ive never even heard of greasing the drag or anything most people do to reels around this site. So Im just learning, I fish inshore saltwater mostly with penn 150s & 160s and a diawa sealine? level wind 450 I think?. There old but they have been great reels and all of them have caught many threshers and soupfins at gaviota pier before it got wrecked by a hardcore storm. I moved to lompoc when I discovered just how much my wife loves to fish and just because the fishing was so good at the pier and thats what me and her enjoy.I flew competition model airplanes for many years before I found out how much my wife loves to fish, So I, I mean we bought a boat in 2007 and the model airplanes sit gathering dust thats how much we enjoy fishing, One of the best things in life were finding something we both enjoyed and flying model airplanes was only fun for me:( almost like fixing reels my old lady has no intrest in that part of the sport but I do and I need to learn quite a bit more about fixing my great working old reels. Just from this site and personal experiance I have learned not to buy cheap junk and mods and fixing are good. Most of the reels we own are not even talked about on this site so Im guessing there not that good but we have to learn somewere. Thanks for reading my long boring story but we are here to learn and help the best we can so THANKS REEL PEOPLE. :) I cant believe Ive been on this site for almost 3 hours already HOLY CRAP:)
Pete j

fIsHsTiiCkS

Welcome! As a newer member myself let me tell you there isn't a better community of reel heads anywhere! That said get ready to spend a lot more hours on this site and your reels!

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Wally15

Welcome from another newbie. This site is addicting.
If it's true that a wise man is someone who knows how much he doesn't know, then I'm Einstein around these gurus.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

DaBigOno

Aloha!    Welcome ppvj64

You live in beautiful country.  I love visiting my brother in Santa Maria
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Alto Mare

PPvJ, not a long boring story at all, I enjoyed it. Nice to share your passion with someone you love, well I'm guessing you do ;D.
If you do your own maintenance on those airplanes, in a week or so you could show us some things on reel repairs ;).
Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

harryk3616

welcome ppv4   3hrs. is just a start, you will be on this site for many hours to come, reel repairs, fishing trips, just plain enjoyment shared among members, you found a new home with fantastic caring people

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

CaptainRMF

Welcome! Pretty new here myself but feel like I've been here forever. The people on this site are some of the best I've ever met, and the knowledge here is just amazing. Doesn't take long to get hooked !
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Reel 224

Didn't take me long to jump in and get my feet wet, I'm glad I did it's helped me improve two of my old reels already. You won't go wrong here,just ask questions and you will get answers. Welcome ppjv ;D 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Welcome, ppjv --

Lots of helpful folks on here.

Learn how to post pics, so we can see your ideas.

When I was a kid, we used to live near Lompoc, in Orcutt.

During the late 50s and early 60s -- saw many a rocket launched from Vandenburg AFB.  Sometimes in those days, they would need to abort an errant rocket shortly after launch -- and you have never seen a more spectacular fireworks show in your life.  We would hear and feel the rumble, rush outside day or night -- and watch them head up to space.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

Welcome! Three hours is just a start, I'm up to 6 days, 9 hours and 22 minutes. Lompoc is nice. I've spent a lot of time in Buelton, Solvang and Los Olivos.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Normslanding

Welcome guy from Lompoc. IMO this site is more like a knowledgeable family. Many of the people here will go out of there way to help. Having fun and learning has been what I get here. From Palmetto Florida, is the Surf Perch fishing still good in Lompoc?