penn 105c drag

Started by ppvj64, December 11, 2014, 03:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppvj64

Ive got a penn 105 c with some kind of plastic drag plates that Ive greased and tried everything else. I use it for surf fishing and it reels in smaller fish just fine but if I hook something big and I have twice and lost both because the drag tightens up by itself. Its way beyond annoying losing what could have been a sweet fish because of it ,so Im wondering if there is a way to fix it or is there a upgrade for it.  Any help would be great cause Im frustrated with it THANKS ALOT
Pete j

akfish

Those teflon (or whatever) drag washers just aren't any good. You can stick in Penn HT-100s and improve things considerably. I believe the right size is 006 155 or perhaps 006 060. Also, make sure the metal drag plates are in the correct order. The "eared" plate should not be on the top.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

Greased Carbontex washers make a big difference.  I also replaced the bushing with bearings on one of the reels and it made little, but noticeable difference in the smoothness of the reel.  Bearing were not cheap though, but for a solid aluminum bodied frame, well worth it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ppvj64

Thanks for the quick replys I have some of the ht 100s you speak of that I will try And any thing that makes a reel better like bearings are worth replacing no mater the price cheaper than a new reel unless you buy bocas :)
Pete j

Alto Mare

Your reel comes with teflon washers, it might not be easy for you to find the carbon fiber washers as a replacement, unless you cut your own.
Try not to put too much money into that reel, it is an ok reel but there is much better out there. With the money you would spend on a set of bearings, I would use it to get a nice used 650ss. You would have a much better reel that would be your friend for a long time.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: ppvj64 on December 11, 2014, 11:20:27 PM
Thanks for the quick replys I have some of the ht 100s you speak of that I will try And any thing that makes a reel better like bearings are worth replacing no mater the price cheaper than a new reel unless you buy bocas :)
I had to pull the bearing out and measure and then buy from Boca.  It's an off size, so I bought 2-3 sets.  I think they were $17 each plus shipping.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ppvj64

Im going to try the ht 100s and if they work good thats the way the reel will stay cause it is kind of a clunker. Ive used a 550ss in alaska for salmon years ago and I remember thinking this is one sweet reel so now I want to find the 650ss. THANKS AGAIN
Pete j

Alto Mare

Your 105 will be ok, I just didn't want you to drop money into it for new bearings, it just didn't make sense to me. You will need to clean it often, if you do that it should last. I have a couple on my boat, I let the kids use them. If they drop them in the ocean, I won't feel too bad ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ppvj64

Oh I understood very well thats why I use it for surf fishing, Because of alot of sand wrecks reels fast and theres got to be a cheaper bearing than boca for it? Id hope if not and I cant make the drag better than a better reels a coming. Ive already lost 2 big somethings because of the drag so a better reel cant hurt:)
Pete j

Cone

I agree that a change to carbon fiber would be best but the drag still should not tighten up on a run. Here is the link to the schematic,
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/105c.pdf  I would check the order of the eared and keyed washers. The top drag washer should be a round metal one. It could be corroded in place or binding in the spool, HTH   Bob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

foakes

Hi Pete --

Echoing what others have already said -- change out the white Teflon washers to CFs lightly greased with Cal's or Shimano Drag Grease.

I personally would also change out the under spool Teflon thrust washer to Delrin.

Not change the bushings to bearings -- but if scored or bad, I would probably just part out the reel -- or leave it as is -- and just fish it as a back-up or spare for kids.

This reel already comes with SS drag washers -- eared one goes in #4 in the stack -- starting at the bottom and working up.

Also, I would do a complete cleaning and lube -- paying particular attention to the spool shaft for any corrosion or pitting.  "0000" steel wool would clean this up quite nicely if needed.

It is a very decent reel, for what it was designed for.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Hi Fred, do you have an extra spool and drag tension knob for the Penn 105C for sell?  If so, I may be interested in buying it.  I have a brother-in-law to be that I fixed his deceased father's reel, upgraded with bearings and new drags, but could use a new drag tension knob and possibly a new spool.  Please let me know and I'll find out if he plans to fish it (which I hope so or my upgrades mean nothing.).

ppvj64

I cleaned and put in the drag correctly but I dont remember a washer between the spool and that little gear so thanks for another problem to check:)
Pete j

foakes

Hi Pete --

Sometimes those are stuck to the underside of the spool -- and get lost when the spool is removed.

Nearly any Teflon, Delrin, resistex, asbestos, or similar washer will work.  It is just to make the spool run smoother when drag is engaged -- and also to eliminate most of the wear on the underside of the aluminum spool.

That is what we are here for -- to discover more problems for you.😄😄😄😄

If you can't find one that fits -- let me know, and I will send one out to you at N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Hi Bryan --

I have a couple of 105 spools with drag assemblies NIB -- without the drag knobs.

Part number 47-105 -- not sure if this is the same as the 105C?

If you need a drag knob, those are pretty universal -- and I likely have some -- but without a reel in hand to match it to -- it would just be a lame guess.  Got hundreds, or more in the parts bins as used ones -- but you probably do also.

Let me know if you need this spool -- I'll send it up.  It is the one in the pic above.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.