Teflon, Delrin or UHMW

Started by Bryan Young, December 12, 2014, 05:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I need to place the reel on a fish fighting machine and see what the effects are on different systems.  Who has access to one?  I think they are made in France.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 13, 2014, 06:02:04 PM
So, the problem is compression of the undergear drag washer, and Delrin provides a flatter surface.

As many of you are Penn Fanaticals, how about theses...creating a Penn version of Newell's 4 Stack, or now 6 stack?

These are Alan's new jigmaster gear sleeves.  The washer on the right is for 113, and others that use 6-113 or 6-60 drag washers.  The one on the right is with a drag washer 6-309 (jigmaster).  

The compression of the undergear drag washer is now supported by a solid base and the compression of the drag washer should be minimal. 

Copying the old Newell 4 stack is a good move. They work great when you turn it into a 6 stack and smooth. Can always use delrin on top to get it a tad smoother.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 13, 2014, 07:06:02 PM
I need to place the reel on a fish fighting machine and see what the effects are on different systems.  Who has access to one?  I think they are made in France.

A fish fighting machine?  That sounds pretty cool.  What kinda speed, and pressures can this baby produce?  Any pics of one?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

They are 4 of them at them at the Okuma Museum in Taiwan.  So much fun. You pick the fish and the fight is different between fishes.  Very cool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Thanks to Dave for letting send me a few of those 113h Delrin washers... can't wait to test them in the spring time.
Sal, Thank you for the delrin selection you've supplied me with.  When I test Dave's custom star out with those delrin washers I will be sure to report back.
Tell you the truth, I can't wait to test out so many new parts that I can barely contain myself...  Black Pearl's gears, Bryan's washer kits, Dave and Sal's washers, Adam and Dave's drag stars, etc.
The fishing I do doesn't push these reels to the max, but I will be able to test function and smoothness.  Ya never know, I might be able to catch that Thresher that I've been hunting, so I can really see what these custom parts are made of.
To each his own... carbon fiber or delrin, we still have far superior upgrades than most guys that just fish Penn reels out of the box.
Bryan, one of those fish fighting machines would keep warmed up all winter long.  I'd never get off one of those things... until I couldn't feel my arms at least. ;)
Thanks
Dom

broschro

Quote from: Newell Nut on December 12, 2014, 08:20:33 PM
Bryan

The smoothest drags in my conventionals is the Newell 4 stack system with your 5+1 which in my case is 6 CFs including the one under the gear which is a full size CF.

The key is to have grip and slippage combined. What would happen if I put a delrin under the gear on this arrangement? If what I have works nice then why mess with it is another question? May try it one day when I don't have anything else to do.

Dwight
Dwight how long have you been fishing with cf under the gear and how often. I to love the way cf feels,but after half season of fishing the cf falls apart and causes problems.

Tightlines667

I have still been using CF under the gear on smaller reels, through I wonder if Teflon would be better.  The crashed CF seems smooth at lower drag settings.  I just put top and bottom Delron's in my 4-6/0s.  Just got 2 more BP gear sets, and I have all the goodies for a 9/0 and a 501.  Guess I need a 501.  I might try the slippery Teflon washer in the 501, with a top Delron and spacing sleeve, along with Brian's stack, and the other SS goodies.  The 9/0 is getting top and bottom Delron's, new gear set, frame, handle, etc, but I wish it had a Top hat made out of Delron.  CF washers are definately smooth under smaller gears, I like the Delron at heavier drag settings and on bigger reels though.  Just my opinion, to each his own.  Needle bearing/thrust washers and custom cut gears might be nice on some of the smaller reels. 
Hope springs eternal

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Keta on December 13, 2014, 06:15:05 PM
They will still compress but will not get into the ratchet.

Just as a question. With the washer under the main gear like newell nut has setup, wouldnt the cf washer compress at the same rate as the cf washes in the stack or is it more due to the pressure of the main gear.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

those fishing machines are very good,
we have one in perth
just recently i asked the owner could i bring my rod and reel over
and test it out."they dont work like that,they are programed to the fish species",
i had a go at a marlin and i  turned a dirty shade of grey.
no long strokes,short strokes are the go.
ps.
the one in perth is a scatri simfish.

Tightlines667

Quote from: wallacewt on December 14, 2014, 04:07:11 AM
those fishing machines are very good,
we have one in perth
just recently i asked the owner could i bring my rod and reel over
and test it out."they dont work like that,they are programed to the fish species",
i had a go at a marlin and i  turned a dirty shade of grey.
no long strokes,short strokes are the go.

Quick short pumps, and keep the line tight. 
Hope springs eternal

Newell Nut

Quote from: broschro on December 14, 2014, 03:21:04 AM
Quote from: Newell Nut on December 12, 2014, 08:20:33 PM
Bryan

The smoothest drags in my conventionals is the Newell 4 stack system with your 5+1 which in my case is 6 CFs including the one under the gear which is a full size CF.

The key is to have grip and slippage combined. What would happen if I put a delrin under the gear on this arrangement? If what I have works nice then why mess with it is another question? May try it one day when I don't have anything else to do.

Dwight
Dwight how long have you been fishing with cf under the gear and how often. I to love the way cf feels,but after half season of fishing the cf falls apart and causes problems.

I fished 60 trips and caught a lot of nice fish without a failure. Quite of few of my reels and built to duplicate the old Newell 4 stack with a SS washer epoxied to the sprocket. I have ordered some .020" Delrin which is the thickness of these SS washers and I plan to test a thin delrin with a .5mm CF under the gear. This will eliminate any chewed up CF that some of you may have experienced or think you may experience. So this way you get some grip and some slick. Will be interesting for sure.

One thing that I have noticed on sprockets is that some of them have a little sharp edge on them and when I find one I just smooth it with a little mini file. Those little mini files are on $10 a set at Ace hardware and very handy when working on reels.

VW

So, the problem is compression of the undergear drag washer, and Delrin provides a flatter surface.

As many of you are Penn Fanaticals, how about theses...creating a Penn version of Newell's 4 Stack, or now 6 stack?

These are Alan's new jigmaster gear sleeves.  The washer on the right is for 113, and others that use 6-113 or 6-60 drag washers.  The one on the right is with a drag washer 6-309 (jigmaster).  

The compression of the undergear drag washer is now supported by a solid base and the compression of the drag washer should be minimal.

Are the flanges an integral, machined part of the sleeve?  If so, that is how I always thought they should be.  Considered asking if someone could make some.  

Alto Mare

I believe we need these handle screws in stainless steel, Alan Chui just doesn't have the time right now, anyone willing to step up to the plate?

I'm noticing the threads on the brass screw don't hold up on the stainless sleeve ander lots of stress. I know my tests are hard on reels, but it would still be nice to get these in Stainless.
I've mentioned to Alan C. that since he's making the new bridge, maybe a smooth bridge post with a c-clip to hold the sleeve would be nice, we would then need a ss cap nut, a much better choice. Alan wants to keep the design as close as possible as the original, I don't really blame him.

I know there are a few good machinists on this site that I know of, so if you want to check into this, on trying to get these stainless handle screws for us that would be great, maybe even extend the threads 1mm on all.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: VW on December 15, 2014, 08:57:33 AM

Are the flanges an integral, machined part of the sleeve?  If so, that is how I always thought they should be.  Considered asking if someone could make some.  
The flanges are integral part of the gear sleeved by machining.  Funny, we have talked about this for years, and only until Newell Nut did his Newells, we though, why not on Penn's  So here it is.