Teflon, Delrin or UHMW

Started by Bryan Young, December 12, 2014, 05:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I second Lee's observation of a need for SS handle screws.  I have had a few older, fatigued stock screws fail on the 114h stainless gear sleeves as well.  A gear sleeve attached with a C clip also seems like a good idea as well, where appropriate.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

fIsHsTiiCkS

So does this mean Alan has the gear sleeves back in Stock  :)

Bryan Young

Alan has the SS gear sleeves and my think metal washers in stock.  I'm not sure if he has the under-gear Carbontex washers in stock though.  If he doesn't have the undergear washers, I can run some over to him for immediate shipment.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

VW

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 15, 2014, 06:11:49 PM

The flanges are integral part of the gear sleeved by machining.  Funny, we have talked about this for years, and only until Newell Nut did his Newells, we though, why not on Penn's  So here it is.

Great!  Now I get to spend more money.
Any other sizes available, or planned (113H, 114H)?  Will Scott's have them?

Bryan Young

The plan is to create them in the 113h and 114h.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

A member gave me some delrin washers to test.

I will install them in...probably a jigmaster reel and mount the reel to a rod.  I need to find a way to mount the rod...Maybe Alan's boat when it's on the road.  Tie the line to the bumper of my car and take off for 100 yards and see what happens with the drag stack and delrin.  My fears with using delrin is the heat that will build up causing stickiness and either breaking the rod or line...or tying it off to another boat while it takes off...have knife to the ready...and video the event.

I'll think of something to test it out.

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 17, 2015, 01:45:58 AM
A member gave me some delrin washers to test.

I will install them in...probably a jigmaster reel and mount the reel to a rod.  I need to find a way to mount the rod...Maybe Alan's boat when it's on the road.  Tie the line to the bumper of my car and take off for 100 yards and see what happens with the drag stack and delrin.  My fears with using delrin is the heat that will build up causing stickiness and either breaking the rod or line...or tying it off to another boat while it takes off...have knife to the ready...and video the event.

I'll think of something to test it out.

Bryan,

did you ever did that?
The Baja Guy

Three se7ens

Delrin has a maximum continuous service temperature of 180 degrees.  I dont think the carbon fiber drag washers could take much more heat than that before the binder breaks down. 

garyal

So now I am about done with my servicing binge on 30 reels. Just a couple left getting anodized. So like a dummy I start reading this thread.

"Gee, I have a McMaster Carr account for my shop at my business."
" Gee, I bet my shop guys have a shim punch" (The photo is what they brought to me) This one punches both inner and out holes at the same time with one hit of the hammer.

So I order some 0.031 delrin, two kinds! Some with Teflon and some without Teflon. And some 0.015" just because it was really cheap. It will be there tomorrow morning. I love MMC!

Now will someone help me out on diameter? Should I go the same size as the under gear CF washer from Bryan, or larger? I am thinking slightly smaller than the smaller diameter of the gear teeth notches?

I want to try the under gear AND the under star in delron on one Penn YT special and two Newells to start.

Looks like I am now hooked. Will these urges get worse over time?

Tightlines667

Great job on those reels.  Sal has a thread somewhere on recommended size to cut the Delron washers.  I think the idea was to use one large enough that the washer would never interference with the dog, though some recommended stock size (this is what I do and I believe what Dawn offers), and others recommend smaller then the ratchet.  Honestly, I think these washers are rigid (and flow-resistant) enough, where stock size should (and has been working fine).  

If you tell us what specific reel models you need washers for, I'm sure someone can provide measurements.  I think I just used the stock metal drag washers or undergear fiber washer to cut my first ones when I got a punch set and a press and a Delron sheet from Daron.  

Be interesting to see what you think of those with the Teflon in them.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

garyal

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 26, 2016, 06:15:33 AM
Great job on those reels.  Sal has a thread somewhere on recommended size to cut the Delron washers.  I think the idea was to use one large enough that the washer would never interference with the dog, though some recommended stock size (this is what I do and I believe what Dawn offers), and others recommend smaller then the ratchet.  Honestly, I think these washers are rigid (and flow-resistant) enough, where stock size should (and has been working fine).  

If you tell us what specific reel models you need washers for, I'm sure someone can provide measurements.  I think I just used the stock metal drag washers or undergear fiber washer to cut my first ones when I got a punch set and a press and a Delron sheet from Daron.  

Be interesting to see what you think of those with the Teflon in them.
Bryan,

You say "punch set and press" above. Should I use an arbor press instead of the hammer to punch these out? I have a smaller bench top arbor unit in my garage I use to press bearings on my Harleys and I have a larger 3 ton unit at work. I have never made shims before but my shop guys use a hammer.....

Tiddlerbasher

Using a hammer and punch can sometimes split the delrin/acetyl. I now only use an arbor press with the wad punches. You may find, on the smaller presses, that you will need an extension handle for better leverage ;)

Keta

I had a bunch of delrin washers water cut but the cutter does not like to cut it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

I punch the ones for the 113H reel 1/2" x 1 1/8". and the 114H are 9/16" x 1 1/16" or 1 1/8".

I use an arbor press and the very costly double punches like shown above.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

garyal

thanks for all your help.

I made one delrin washer this evening, for the 113H @ 1/2 x 1 1/8 and installed it WITH Bryan's keyed metal washer and this delrin in place of the fiber one under the gear. Of course this is with the SS gear sleeve, keyed all the way.

I had to use the arbor with a pipe to get enough leverage to cut thru 0.031 delrin acetal.

Set the 7+delrin to 20 lbs of drag with spring scale, very smooth! I will only fish it at 17lbs of drag, max. Mostly at 15.

A very nice and simple upgrade IMHO.

Sorry, forgot photos.

THANKS!