Quality Screwdriver sets...suggestions?

Started by Tightlines667, December 15, 2014, 02:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Islandgypsy

Reel 224

Fred: No need to say any more then you have already. Great explanation!! 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

LTM

Good post,

I really like that set that Fred has (heck I like most of Freds gear). However I can understand the price keeping alot of people away. I have an expanded Chapman set thats over 30 years old and still going strong at about $80. I started out using it for gunsmithing and now for both reels and guns. Hollow-ground bits/tips are best for removing fastners.

Leo

MattT21

fishhead69

The best screwdriver set I have ever used I got at the gun show. It is called the Wheeler 89-piece deluxe professional gunsmithing screwdriver set and I remember paying between $50 to $100 for this set. What a bargain.

Shiftee

Of the sets listed by the OP I'm with Fred. Although, I'd like to check out the Forester set. I have some of their other stuff and always found their quality to be spot on. I know a lot of guys use Wheeler stuff and maybe I've just ended up with bad products but I've had terrible luck with every Wheeler product I've ever owned. Between the two Brownells sets I'd probably be willing to pay $110 more for the fixed-blade set not licensed by the NRA. I'm not a big fan of theirs anymore.

Reel 224

Quote from: Shiftee on December 19, 2014, 06:38:39 AM
Of the sets listed by the OP I'm with Fred. Although, I'd like to check out the Forester set. I have some of their other stuff and always found their quality to be spot on. I know a lot of guys use Wheeler stuff and maybe I've just ended up with bad products but I've had terrible luck with every Wheeler product I've ever owned. Between the two Brownells sets I'd probably be willing to pay $110 more for the fixed-blade set not licensed by the NRA. I'm not a big fan of theirs anymore.

My two cents again, I was told probably 40 years ago by a gun smith that I studied under to buy the brownells set that I have today and I have dealt with them ever since. The gun smith I mention has a few pattens in Washington's patten office of guns that he had designed. I have to say his advice was right for me. NRA aside. They don't make the tools.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shiftee

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 19, 2014, 01:14:34 PM

My two cents again, I was told probably 40 years ago by a gun smith that I studied under to buy the brownells set that I have today and I have dealt with them ever since. The gun smith I mention has a few pattens in Washington's patten office of guns that he had designed. I have to say his advice was right for me. NRA aside. They don't make the tools.   
I was being slightly facetious - saying that between the two brownell's sets I'd pay $110 more for their higher end model (even on principle of not being an NRA licensed item). I'm aware that the NRA doesn't make them. Again, was being facetious/sarcastic and I apologize if that was misleading.

foakes

For those of you who may not be aware of Grizzly Industrial -- check this out.  

And send off for their free 700 page catalog -- and get on their mailing and email list -- you will not be sorry.

Most of their products are made in Asia -- but that is not a bad thing.  This is a 32 year old company that is here in the US -- and they really know how to take care of customers.  From workworking, machining, hobbies, gunsmithing, and a ton more.  They screen their products, and use them -- plus guarantee them.

This set of screwdrivers is on sale for $20.00.

A little research, and you will find the same exact set offered by Smith & Wesson, Japan Woodworkers, Bald Eagle, and others.  I do not have them in my hand to compare -- but I would suspect these of either being  knock-offs of Brownell's -- or maybe this is where Brownell's sources theirs?  Who knows?  But fot $20 -- I may just try them to throw in my "mobile tool go-bag" -- that goes with me wherever I may be.

See this item in our 2014 Grizzly Catalog!

SKU: BE1023
MPN: BE1023
In Stock
Add to Cart
Need it by Mon. Dec 22nd?
Just order by 3:00 PM PST today and choose expedited shipping during checkout.
Internet Special! Order today and save $15.55.
Showroom Pickup
Add to Wish List
SALE!
Reg. $35.50   $19.95
Fits dozens of brands of handgun and rifle screws, this six-piece screwdriver set is great for adjusting scopes and general gunsmithing applications. It's also ideal for any application where maximum torque is required to tighten or loosen tiny screws. Features magnetic tips and precisely ground blades hardened to Rc60.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Quote from: Shiftee on December 19, 2014, 04:09:57 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on December 19, 2014, 01:14:34 PM

I was being slightly facetious - saying that between the two brownell's sets I'd pay $110 more for their higher end model (even on principle of not being an NRA licensed item). I'm aware that the NRA doesn't make them. Again, was being facetious/sarcastic and I apologize if that was misleading.

Not at all, no need for any apologies. They are great tools and I'm sure you will be happy with them I certainly am, and believe be in 38 years or so Ive put them thru the paces.

Reel 224

Quote from: foakes on December 19, 2014, 05:29:20 PM
For those of you who may not be aware of Grizzly Industrial -- check this out.  

And send off for their free 700 page catalog -- and get on their mailing and email list -- you will not be sorry.

Most of their products are made in Asia -- but that is not a bad thing.  This is a 32 year old company that is here in the US -- and they really know how to take care of customers.  From workworking, machining, hobbies, gunsmithing, and a ton more.  They screen their products, and use them -- plus guarantee them.

This set of screwdrivers is on sale for $20.00.

A little research, and you will find the same exact set offered by Smith & Wesson, Japan Woodworkers, Bald Eagle, and others.  I do not have them in my hand to compare -- but I would suspect these of either being  knock-offs of Brownell's -- or maybe this is where Brownell's sources theirs?  Who knows?  But fot $20 -- I may just try them to throw in my "mobile tool go-bag" -- that goes with me wherever I may be.

See this item in our 2014 Grizzly Catalog!

SKU: BE1023
MPN: BE1023
In Stock
Add to Cart
Need it by Mon. Dec 22nd?
Just order by 3:00 PM PST today and choose expedited shipping during checkout.
Internet Special! Order today and save $15.55.
Showroom Pickup
Add to Wish List
SALE!
Reg. $35.50   $19.95
Fits dozens of brands of handgun and rifle screws, this six-piece screwdriver set is great for adjusting scopes and general gunsmithing applications. It's also ideal for any application where maximum torque is required to tighten or loosen tiny screws. Features magnetic tips and precisely ground blades hardened to Rc60.

Best,

Fred

That is a very nice set of drivers for the price...but in gun work it would not handle a lot of site or scope jobs because of the fact most manufactures have went to hex and star socket head screws (fasteners). For reel work as far as what I own it would be a great deal and work as good as any driver for that application.

I own the Brownells maga-tip driver set because it has many versatile tips to handle almost any job in gun work. I also have a set of single hollow ground drivers,and a ton of others. for me it was a investment not a hobby so I could justify the cost. But in this case you have given a hobbyist a money saver.   

foakes

Yes, Reel224 --

If I am doing a modification or service on a Glock, AR, old Charles Daly, or S&W -- the Brownell's set is all I would use.  And also for most of the reels that come across my bench -- even a cheap Shakes with graphite body and zinc screws -- since to someone, it is important.

However, for $20, I am curious to have these in my hand to compare with Brownell's.

I probably only have about 400 fixed screwdrivers -- what's another 6?

Time for a yard sale.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Fore sure Fred there never seams to be enough tools on the work bench. My wife and I shoot trap and reload all of our ammunition, that takes up a ton of room. I have an old JC Higgens single that I am checkering the stock and re bluing the action and barrel. Most of my gun smith work is on older firearms anymore. Ive given up on the newer military stuff..it's to much of a hassle in NJ. We are planing a move to Texas soon maybe things will be better there. Close to the Gulf! ;D

My new hobby Fishing and tinkering with Reels.

Joe     

Shiftee

Quote from: foakes on December 19, 2014, 06:27:44 PM
Yes, Reel224 --

If I am doing a modification or service on a Glock, AR, old Charles Daly, or S&W -- the Brownell's set is all I would use.  And also for most of the reels that come across my bench -- even a cheap Shakes with graphite body and zinc screws -- since to someone, it is important.

However, for $20, I am curious to have these in my hand to compare with Brownell's.

I probably only have about 400 fixed screwdrivers -- what's another 6?

Time for a yard sale.

Best,

Fred

Hey Fred, lemme know when you set the date on that yard sale. I might have to add it to my calendar and clear my schedule for the day.