12/0 budget build

Started by Shark Hunter, December 15, 2014, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

My Buddy Larry (aka, the reel doc) gave me this 12/0 for a song.
The stock sleeve is toast, all I have is a new one that doesn't quite match the older bridge.

I shimmed the sleeve to a new bridge and dug out a new clicker plate. He sais it had no clicker, he wasn't kidding, there was just a hole in the plate.

Replaced the brass main with steel and laid out a custom 8 stack for it.

Total investment with Custom Handle, $175. I have new respect for this reel in stock form after seeing John reel in a 11'7" Hammerhead like it was a walk in the park. ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Very nice Daron, $175 with the custom parts is not easy to get, you did really good. I would remove that top CF washer and replace it with a Delrin washer. Anything above the last Keyed washer is only a spacer anyway and doesn't produce any drag, your reel is actually a 7 stack.
If you're not getting enough travel with the star, I would also remove one of the metal keyed washer on top, the Delrin will do just fine if it sits under the spring washer....just a thought.
Another mean fishing machine ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

With the .120 CF, I can get that last cf in the gear with a keyed on top. This was a premade stack I had in my parts box. I put the Delrin Under the gear, forgot to put it on top. I'm waiting on some parts from Ted and I'm going to change that bridge. If you look close, that Sleeve is shimmed higher than I like.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Nice reel at a great price!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 15, 2014, 02:08:28 PM
With the .120 CF, I can get that last cf in the gear with a keyed on top. This was a premade stack I had in my parts box. I put the Delrin Under the gear, forgot to put it on top. I'm waiting on some parts from Ted and I'm going to change that bridge. If you look close, that Sleeve is shimmed higher than I like.
A keyed following another doesn't give drag, in or out of the gear, but it does help with extra room. I can't see the sleeve, if its more than usual it might be a problem. I would probably drill another pin hole a little higher, on the opposite side, if you do mess it up, you'll be at the same place you're now ;). How do you get such great deals ;D.
I just got my shipment from ted, now how have to get cranking arguing with him, so he'll charge what's fair. :-\ He reminds me of Lee, they'll give you a ridiculous number. ::)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Sal, it was a one time deal cleaning out old stock from a local tackle shop. You want to pay more than your share, and I respect that, but if you see what Daron and Dom got for pocket change, then you would see that $75 for your parts was more than enough. If you decide on a different amount, then I will respect your decision, but $75 covers your share of the costs. Hope you enjoy the albacore I sent.

Daron, your box has 3 new bridge assemblies for 12/0 and it should arrive today.........talk about good timing eh ???

Ha ha, Dom may need a forklift for his box.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

Hey Sal,
    I'm not sure what I did to deserve such a fair deal, but I do know what you do for all of us.  You have hooked nearly everyone on this site up at one time or another...  You test everything out for us so we don't have to stress our own gear, you send people what they need/ want at no cost to us, and have passed on a ton of knowledge to make our fishing experiences even more memorable, and the list goes on.  Ted, worked out an amazing deal, and we should appreciate his willing ness to pass that deal onto us. You can't just give all the time, ya gotta take once in a while (if for nothing other than) to make us feel good to, ya know?  All we have to do is take his lead and pay it forward, which you do on a regular basis already.  As for my package, all I can say is my back is out since I carried it home (5 blocks.) ;)
PS- If you think the parts are a good deal, you're gonna feel like you owe a lot more when you try his albacore. ;)
Thanks again Ted!,
Dom

Alto Mare

I hear you Dom, me and Ted go back a few years, you got those parts because of me, I told him that he needed to join us here ;D.
You're right, I just tasted the Albacore and it's amazing ;).

Thanks for everything Ted, please check your Personal Message. Sal

Shark Hunter

I didn't get any Albacore, just a great Deal! ;D
Sal the last keyed doesn't follow another. It is the very last washer in that stack, its just a eared and not a keyed. I want to Thank You and Ted for paying it forward. I've never seen parts like this! ;)
Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Sorry Daron, your package left no room to spare for a jar of tuna. I think Sal got 2 cause yours wouldn't fit.

Daron, I hope that gives you enough to get you started on a couple low budget awesome 12/0 reels, or at least one anyhow. You just add the expensive stuff lol
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 17, 2014, 12:22:58 AM
I didn't get any Albacore, just a great Deal! ;D
Sal the last keyed doesn't follow another. It is the very last washer in that stack, its just a eared and not a keyed. I want to Thank You and Ted for paying it forward. I've never seen parts like this! ;)
Daron, I guess I need to get new glasses. Above the last eared washer, you're showing  a carbon fiber washer, a keyed washer, another carbon fiber washer and another keyed washer, that second carbon fiber washer doesn't give any drags.

That Tuna from Ted is almost gone I have very little left. Good job on that Ted, thanks again.
Sal

Shark Hunter

Not a Problem Ted. You Enjoy My Albacore Sal! >:(
Thanks again Guys. You are Awesome! ;D
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I hear ya buddy. The problem is what I'm showing didn't actually go in this reel. It was for illustrative purposes. ;) Now go and enjoy the rest of my Tuna. ;)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Ok,
Here is the actual 8 stack that I put in this reel.

The last eared washer sits flush in the gear with the .120 cf.

Here is the bridge in question. It is shimmed higher than I like. After swapping a few sleeves and checking different bridges. I think the problem lies in this particular bridge and not the sleeve.

These shims are 10 thousandths thick. They are a perfect for the 114H and up senator bridges.
I only needed two on this brand new bridge and sleeve, leaving no side to side play.

Delrin washer on the bottom and top completes this 8 stack. Just the Belleville on top. ;) I hope this clears up what I consider an 8 stack. No double dogs on this one. Just a stainless spring with steel gears on a single dog. I know what this reel is capable of. ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Now, that's more like it. For some reason my last eared washer doesn't fit using the 1.20mm carbon fiber washers. :-\

maybe the brass gear compared to the steel has something to do with it  :-\, or the metal washers are not the same.
The CF were checked one by one.
Never the less, you got yours in. ;)