113 MTL

Started by Newell Nut, December 21, 2014, 04:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

One of the mates needed some cash and sold his 113MTL and rod to a buddy for 100. I think it was a good deal. I took it home to service it and I was surprised to see the drastic difference from a standard 113. It had a steel gear with the thicker CFs with the ears and all SS washers were keyed. Under the gear was two SS dogs which was interesting. The drag is really strong and smooth now that it has some Cals on the washers.
I keep forgetting to get batteries for the camera and did not even get a picture of my 13 king macs that I caught yesterday.

Alto Mare

Dwight, take a pic of the main gear and pinion for me, if you could. I've asked members here a while back, but it never happened :-\.
Thanks again for the goodies, I haven't played with them yet.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

I have 3 of them new in the box. They are the same as the Baja Special. 100 bucks is a great price..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Newell Nut

Just for you Sal. Interesting that the dog springs pull the dogs instead of pushing them like the old style.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Nice! That's a well built reel!

johndtuttle

Ugly as sin, functional as all get out. ;)

Alto Mare

Just what I needed to see Dwight, thank you. The pulling of the dog is actually a much better design.
Thanks again buddy, I knew you wouldn't let me down ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

I thought it would be a cool reel to have and went to Scott's to check on parts and Penn has discontinued the drag washers for it. The handle side plate is $192, WOW.

BMITCH

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 21, 2014, 06:56:41 PM
Just what I needed to see Dwight, thank you. The pulling of the dog is actually a much better design.
Thanks again buddy, I knew you wouldn't let me down ;)

Why is the pulling of the dog a better design?
luck is the residue of design.

handi2

Quote from: Newell Nut on December 21, 2014, 07:05:28 PM
I thought it would be a cool reel to have and went to Scott's to check on parts and Penn has discontinued the drag washers for it. The handle side plate is $192, WOW.

Hey friend,

It uses the 525 mag drag washers and I have plenty if you need some.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Just look at the pic Bob and you should be able to determine it for yourself. On the other hand, it could be just me :-\

Tightlines667

Congradulations on tue great day of fishing.  I'm still having trouble getting my dad motivated to plan a last minute fishing trip here.  Not surprising that the Pasttime Princess is all booked up this week.  Hopefully I can get him to trailer tye boat over to New Symrna beach on Friday morning, guess we will see. 

That looks like a great little reel.  I like that dog setup.  Interesting that they decided to use a stainless main, and bronze pinion.  I suppose you could replace the gear sleeve, jack, yoke, and consider a new SS pinion if you wanted to make everything truely bulletproof.  Will the aftermarket SS 113 parts fit this reel?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

The pastime may be booked up with groupons but not for full fares. Just the number on the site and make a reservation. If they have 50 groupons the boat does not sail until he has enough full fares to cover expenses. They also have veterans discounts too.

Back to the reel. The pinion is SS but the sleeve is bronze or brass.

Alto Mare

That pinion might be heat treated John, the one on the Baja that I have is also brass in color, but it is heat treated stainless steel.
Bob, about the dogs, I'm comparing them to the standard 113h, our new custom bridge and dogs that is due in soon brings it up another notch . ;)

BMITCH

I'm still not understanding how pulling is better than the pushing spring, other than the fact that the dog and pin are looped over by the spring. Not as inclined to go shooting across the room I guess ???
luck is the residue of design.