Thoughts about snap ring installation (E clip)

Started by Unutt, December 29, 2014, 09:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unutt

If you have not done so, please consider these thoughts about installing the snap rings (or E clips) in your reel.

Most snap rings are stamped from a sheet of metal (typically steel).  That means they have a crown to them.  If you look at a snap ring, you will see that one side has smooth rounded edges (the bevel side) and one side has sharp edges (the bottom as it was stamped).

In many assembly applications, the assembly procedure is designed to account for that bevel.  It is so crucial that snap rings are often 'keyed' to make sure they are installed correctly.

I apply that same thinking to the snap rings (or E clips) that I install in fishing reels.  I never want the sharp edge of the ring to rub against the moving component.  For example, the snap ring that holds the drive shaft is always installed bevel down (beveled side with smooth edges against the top of the drive shaft).  I never want the sharp edge of the steel snap ring to rub against the top of the brass drive shaft.  The clip that holds the worm bearing is also installed bevel side to the bearing.

That orientation serves two purposes.  The moving component is not forced to move against a sharp edge, AND, the sharp edge of the snap ring holds better in the groove in which it is seated.

Something to consider the next time you snap ring a reel component into place.
So many reels, so little time.

Tiddlerbasher

Islandgypsy

That is some good,common sense info often overlooked. Thanks!

Dominick

Quote from: Islandgypsy on December 29, 2014, 11:55:53 PM
That is some good,common sense info often overlooked. Thanks!

Correctomondo.  I agree.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

VW

I do the same thing with pinion yokes.  Install so the springs are touching/pushing on the flat side, the rounded side pushing against the groove in the gear.

Unutt

Interesting.  The yoke on an Abu Garcia pro max is not held in place by springs, but I get the concept.  The effect is the same.  I will keep that in mind when I work on other reels. 
So many reels, so little time.