Metaloid free spool/handle binding

Started by MattT21, January 03, 2015, 06:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattT21

I recently purchased the Metaloid 5II. I tore it down and did the pre-fishing service on it and added a spool bearing sleeve. CorrosionX in the spool bearings, Shimano drag grease for the drag washer, and Penn grease everywhere else. A couple things I noticed after getting it back together are that the drag curve was improved so now there is now a steady increase in drag from free to strike, but my free spool time decreased from about 50-60 seconds down to about 15-20 seconds. The other problem I noticed is there is now slight binding/resistance when cranking the handle as the drag pressure is increased. Any ideas what may be causing these issues?

alantani

tear it down again, check the bearings, put it back together again and chances are it will work.  frustrating as it may be, this often works.  it's just some little glitch. 

however, it actually sounds like a right main side plate bearing.  when you're fiddling with any of these lever drag reels, it is possible to damage the bearing.  you can advance the preset knob too much, throw the lever forward, give the reel just a few cranks and crunch the bearing.  and if you throw the lever to full, you might even be able to damage the left spool bearing.  it's hard to do, but possible.  you might have to tear down the reel again and check the spoo bearings and the right main side plate bearing.........   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

maxpowers

maximum drag at strike that i got was 17.5 lbs with the spool sleeve.

MattT21

I made very sure not to set the drag to high. After re-assembly I slowly brought the preset up to 10lbs at strike and this is when i noticed the binding

MattT21

I will pull the reel apart today and take a look at everything.

Alan, when you say check the bearings, what exactly am I looking for?

johndtuttle

Quote from: MattT21 on January 03, 2015, 07:09:45 PM
I made very sure not to set the drag to high. After re-assembly I slowly brought the preset up to 10lbs at strike and this is when i noticed the binding

For a reel this size with no thrust bearing to protect from handle binding a 10lb preset is about what you would expect I would think?

MattT21

Quote from: maxpowers on January 03, 2015, 06:42:43 PM
maximum drag at strike that i got was 17.5 lbs with the spool sleeve.

Maxpowers,
Did you notice any binding or loss of free spool at 17.5 lbs?

maxpowers

no bindings.  there is some resistance on high gears but very little resistance in low gear.  what was your sleeve measurement in mm.  did you remove the 2 - clips?

alantani

Quote from: johndtuttle on January 03, 2015, 07:52:17 PM
Quote from: MattT21 on January 03, 2015, 07:09:45 PM

For a reel this size with no thrust bearing to protect from handle binding a 10lb preset is about what you would expect I would think?

i concur.  check all bearings for roughness. otherwise, perhaps a washer is in the wrong place, or simply out of order.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MattT21

Quote from: maxpowers on January 03, 2015, 08:13:43 PM
no bindings.  there is some resistance on high gears but very little resistance in low gear.  what was your sleeve measurement in mm.  did you remove the 2 - clips?

Maxpowers,
I did remove the two c-clips, and the bearing sleeve measures 21.87mm. Is this the correct length? All the bearings feel smooth, I cleaned them out and re-lubed them just to safe.

mitchman

Thanks for your experimenting! I am also wondering if you could drop the ARB from the Android into the Metaloid for instant anti-reverse & increased smoothness.

Tiddlerbasher

If you mean Andros (rather than Android  ;D) it doesn't have one! Just a sleeve between the two bearings. Double dogs provide the AR  - woof woof ;)

mitchman

Whoops  :o Slip of the wrist. Anyways, the previous model Andros had a roller bearing, and I am wondering if it would fit. I thought the new one did too but I guess not.

Tiddlerbasher

The orginal Andros has no ARB just a sleeve (see attached schematic)

mitchman

Ok, I realized that I had gotten some bad info. However, according to Okuma's website the  new single speed Andros will have a 1-way roller bearing. I checked the schematic for it and its not listed but schematics aren't always correct. So I am wondering if this 1-way roller bearing will fit into the metaloid.