New to the world of reel servicing!

Started by cubanaso, January 07, 2015, 12:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubanaso

Hello everyone, my name is Andrew and I've been poking around this website for a few weeks now.  I've gleaned tons of useful information and can't wait to learn much much more. 

I've been fishing all my life and am very excited to get into servicing my own reels.  I was wondering if there was a very simple, spelled out almost walk through style guide on here?  I've searched a bit but haven't found one.  Sorry if this is silly to request just want to make sure I'm not making any grave mistakes.

Just FYI i like fishing newells and penns but am realyl getting into the avets!

Andrew

alantani

welcome!  most reels are straight in, straight out.  the guys that built these were all pretty sharp.  things are usually put together a certain way for a reason, so sticking a stock configuration will always work.  the manufacturers do take shortcuts, though, mostly when it comes to lubrication.  a light coat of grease is always a good.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fIsHsTiiCkS

As always Alan is right. A good cleaning and serviceing goes a long way with any reel. There are many walk through tutorials on various reels (mostly done by Alan himself) that take you through everything step by step. If you dont see your reel than most of the cleaning and greasing/lubing techniques can be applied to all reels. In example, greasing screws, cleaning and relubing bearings and such. Any questions just feel to ask and people much more knowledgable than me will gladly answer them!

Welcome to this great site!!!

Shark Hunter

Welcome Andrew!
You are in the right place! ;)
You need anything, just ask. ;D
Life is Good!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Andrew --

All reels are the same -- except they're different.

You'll do fine -- just go as far as you can -- then if you get stuck...let us know.

There are no dumb questions -- anything you need, just ask.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Andrew: You definitely stepped into the right site here. The people here are very knowledgeable and helpful. I speak from experience on the how to and trouble shooting that I have asked questions about, as Fred said there are no dumb questions....besides I've already asked most of them. ;D  Welcome!   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Marcq

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Welcome!  Looking through tue various model-specific tutorials will give you a good idea or basic template on how to proceed with a 'typical' service.  Such as take your time, start with simpler (i.e. remove tail plate first), take pictures of assembled parts, and lay out parts in the order and config they were assembled, and group them in subassemblies where they were found, what types of things to look for in terms of wear, damage etc, and how to properly clean, dry, and lube specific parts, how to reassemble, and final testing/tweaking after reassembly.  The forum also has alot of useful tips and warnings as well.  Spend some time reading the threads before you jump in.  And don't be afraid to ask for help (pictures are useful here).  We have a number of highly experienced people here that can provide valuable assistance.  Posting your results can also help ithers to learn.  Welcome, and make sure to stay calm and have fun while working on your reels.  It won't be long and you will be asking all of your friends to give you their reels to service as well.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

cubanaso

Thank you all for the warm welcome!  I can't wait to hone my reel servicing skills!