corrosion issues on stainless steel 113 H sleeve

Started by broschro, January 12, 2015, 05:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

It's odd to see that kind of "corrosion" when using similar materials.  It could possibly be the chromed brass parts (spacer?) in the stack.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

I don't see anything wrong with using that sleeve, just clean it and put it back in. I'm with others, using compressed air is helping it corrode.
I've removed Newell ss gears in the past using a hummer and chisel, ss will do that if not using proper routine maintenance.
don't toss that sleeve out, if you need to, just send it over to me.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broschro

I think I just did not have enough grease on it and I used Cals only and a light coat. definitely going to reuse it Sal, With a bunch of blue grease on it :)

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

A good coat of marine grease will work fine. It won't contaminate the drag washers. I've been doing it for years & haven't had any problems.   

broschro

Lee just on the gears and sleeve.Cals on the CF.

broadway

I just use Cals on everything and have had zero issues at all.  My logic is so I don't have to worry about mixing greases and if any gets on the drag stack I'm still good.
A little pricier but they stay corrosion free.  It's all about what you do after your trip in the salt, that's the secret. ;)
Take a 2000 sand paper to that sleeve (gently) and you're good to go.  I use the 2000 or 3000 on my spool spindles to make them buttery smooth.
Dom

Tightlines667

I recently serviced a set of 4 Tiagra 130s and used Cal's throughout.  Hopefully I will get them back after a year of use and see how its holding up verses my nornal routine of cals and penn blue.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

jurelometer

Getting back to the original question:

(disclaimer- I am not an expert on this stuff- just did some reading up for making some carbon fiber parts)

Carbon fiber can cause significant galvanic corrosion on stainless when exposed to saltwater.   Graphite (pure carbon) is at the very (cathodic)  end of the galvanic series tables- past titanium and gold.  Manufacturers of aircraft and bicycle parts use titanium  for fasteners on carbon fiber parts, or introduce a barrier when using stainless or aluminum with carbon fiber.   When exposed to oxygen, stainless will form a a very thin layer (of chromium?) that passivises the surface (making it more cathodic).   Once this layer is penetrated the area of corrosion becomes "active" which leads to further localized corrosion - or as one source described it, -"like a squirrel chewed on it" :)

So my updated vote on what happened:  

1. The compressed air drove the grease out of the gear sleeve/drag washer junction
2  The sides of the carbon fiber washers are the most conductive zone on the washer ( the fibers are like little conductive wires).
3. With no protective barrier -any introduction of salt water would start the corrosion process where the tips of the carbon fiber threads came into contact with the gear sleeve, with the corrosion spreading locally.
4. Wherever the corrosion starts- the passivisation is lost- the corrosion is concentrated- leading to the "squirrel chew" effect.

Which leads to three more observations:

1.  This is another argument for lubing the drag washers (AKA wet drag stacks)  The lubricant acts a a barrier against galvanic corrosion.  

2. Perhaps an explanation as to why titanium is often used for those big lever drag surfaces (carbon and titanium are reasonably compatible)- BTW carbon fiber against aluminum without a barrier is highly conductive- not something I would want in any saltwater reel that I would own.

3.  Salt water makes a great electrolyte solution, fresh water makes a poor one.   Without an electrolyte- you will not get galvanic corrosion.   Fresh water is a great solvent for salt.  By introducing a large amount o fresh water to a small amount of salt water- you effectively get rid of the salt.   Carl Newell  was right -  soak in fresh water and dry.   I am still looking for some arguments as to why a soak/dry would be worse than the superficial freshwater spray.  

Also avoids that awkward conversation with the spouse about why you like to take showers with your reels :)  

-J.

Shark Hunter

Good Stuff jurelometer! ;)
My reels and I shower separately. ;D
Life is Good!

Cone

Jurelometer, great post. I would like to add that stainless steel is subject to " crevice corrosion." It tends to corrode in crevices. The anaerobic environment there does not allow oxygen to form the oxide layer back when it has been compromised. This leads to corrosion and pitting and sometimes failure of the fastener etc. People are often surprised to find the failure was on a portion of the stainless that was imbeded in an object. The part that was most exsposed to the environment often looks very good.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Three se7ens

Quote from: Cone on January 17, 2015, 03:44:01 AM
Jurelometer, great post. I would like to add that stainless steel is subject to " crevice corrosion." It tends to corrode in crevices. The anaerobic environment there does not allow oxygen to form the oxide layer back when it has been compromised. This leads to corrosion and pitting and sometimes failure of the fastener etc. People are often surprised to find the failure was on a portion of the stainless that was imbeded in an object. The part that was most exsposed to the environment often looks very good.   Bob

Thats a good point, and its very common on 304 stainless exposed to a salt or chlorine environment.  316 stainless is more resistant to salt and chlorine environments, but by its very name, stainless steel "stains less" than carbon steel in harsh environments.  You have to look to exotic materials to get completely inert.

alantani

Quote from: broschro on January 12, 2015, 05:12:06 PM
I think it's the washers inside the gear causing this problem I take good care of my equipment clean fresh water wash down and air compressor blow off after each trip.did not see this on the other tank

guess i missed this.  were the drags greased?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!