corrosion issues on stainless steel 113 H sleeve

Started by broschro, January 12, 2015, 05:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

I think it's the washers inside the gear causing this problem I take good care of my equipment clean fresh water wash down and air compressor blow off after each trip.did not see this on the other tank

RowdyW

Hi, it looks like water is entering through the space between the plate & spacer sleeve. Probably from the pressure from a water hose or the air pressure. Try using a heavier coat of marine grease or drag grease on the gear sleeve. All metals will corrode when subjected to moisture & air if not protected from the elements. Just take it easy around reel openings with air & water pressure (spool edges & ends of side plates). I dry my reels with a chamois.    RUDY

Shark Hunter

I think Rudy is onto something there Jamie. The compressor is blowing the water in.
Life is Good!

foakes

Not saying this is the problem -- but it is a likely culprit -- water intrusion, as stated above.

What works for me is:

Any possible entry for salt water -- gets extra MARINE GREASE -- this includes gear sleeves, spacers, spool edges, eccentric opening, etc..  This helps a lot, and the Marine Grease resists salt water -- and stays consistently smooth without breaking down.

Plus for easy breakdowns -- all screw threads, inside of rings, stand clamps, threaded bearings and bushing caps, inside of both sideplates, and all interior metal surfaces get a light coat.

A liberal coating of Cal's or Shimano Drag grease will take care of the drag stack -- and help prevent rust issues.

After fishing the salt -- just rinse off the reel with no additional water pressure -- just let the fresh water flow gently over the reel from the spool and left side -- not getting aggressive or forcing any water into the right head side, if possible.

When back to home, I break down the reel to inspect the interior -- not completely -- just the head side and spool ends.  Re-grease and oil -- store in a cloth bag when done.

Now, some of you may laugh at this -- but an air compressor generally does more damage than good, IMO.  It forces moisture into the case of the reel.  I use an old diffuser type hair dryer set on low power -- it works well when needed, and dries out most moisture when in a hurry.  The indirect air flow works great in a pinch back at the dock or hotel room.  

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jurelometer

Quote from: foakes on January 12, 2015, 07:57:07 PM
Not saying this is the problem -- but it is a likely culprit -- water intrusion, as stated above.

What works for me is:

Any possible entry for salt water -- gets extra MARINE GREASE -- this includes gear sleeves, spacers, spool edges, eccentric opening, etc..  This helps a lot, and the Marine Grease resists salt water -- and stays consistently smooth without breaking down.

Plus for easy breakdowns -- all screw threads, inside of rings, stand clamps, threaded bearings and bushing caps, inside of both sideplates, and all interior metal surfaces get a light coat.

A liberal coating of Cal's or Shimano Drag grease will take care of the drag stack -- and help prevent rust issues.

After fishing the salt -- just rinse off the reel with no additional water pressure -- just let the fresh water flow gently over the reel from the spool and left side -- not getting aggressive or forcing any water into the right head side, if possible.

When back to home, I break down the reel to inspect the interior -- not completely -- just the head side and spool ends.  Re-grease and oil -- store in a cloth bag when done.

Now, some of you may laugh at this -- but an air compressor generally does more damage than good, IMO.  It forces moisture into the case of the reel.  I use an old diffuser type hair dryer set on low power -- it works well when needed, and dries out most moisture when in a hurry.  The indirect air flow works great in a pinch back at the dock or hotel room.  

Best,

Fred

The compressor will blow the grease off the coated surfaces.  It won't blow off the dried salt layer on the surface  of the metal.
My fly reels  take quite a beating in the summer.  They get visibly caked with salt.  I actually give these reels a short soak in a bucket of fresh water every week or so.  Let them drain and then air dry.   Lube the bearings every year or two.  Fresh water is a great solvent for salt.   If the bearings are lubed and the carbon fiber or cork drag washers are greased- fresh water shouldn't damage  saltwater reel  parts (excluding AR bearings), but salt will. We all soak our 18-8 stainless silverware in fresh water every day.

I thought the Newell manual recommended soaking the reels in fresh water.  Is this right?  Does anybody else soak their salt water reels in fresh water?

-J.

TomT

I agree with Fred.  I just do a freshwater rinse of the reel with little to no pressure.  Then towel or sun dry the outside of the reel.  With normal servicing of the reel, I have been fortunate to not have internal corrosion problems.
TomT
I have not used a hair dryer for drying but can see how that would be effective.

alantani

i run star drag reels with a little extra drag grease.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

After a day on the beach with my Senators. I put them in the shower. If there is an outside shower handy, that is perfect. Give them a good bath. Not too powerful and then just blot them dry with a towel.
I do the rod too, people don't realize how corrosive the ocean can be.
I do this every day religiously. When I return home from my trip, I clean my rods really well with a wash rag and some light detergent. Then apply pledge furniture polish to the rod and guides. If the rod is a roller. then its a complete dismantle and oiling with reel x to the rollers.
The reels get a teardown and inspection. I work too hard to make sure my reels are just right to neglect them. I look at it as protecting my investment. ;)
I might smell like fish and beer, but my gear is clean! ;D
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

I shower with my fishing reels and rods.  Warm water dissolves salt better than cold water.   Spray with shower head then let my water splash as I shower.  Then re rinse and shake excess water out of the reel and let dry on counter.  Yes I do get the evil eye from my wife...but not as bad as cleaning reel parts in the dishwasher.  Lol

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

day0ne

When I lived in an apartment, all my rods and reels went into the swimming pool to soak. Never had a spot of corrosion in many years and I fished several days a week. Now I have a house (no pool) I use a shower or garden hose. I don't think it does as good a job bur still no corrosion, just harder to do.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

foakes

Alan is right about the drag grease on Star Drags -- more is better.  And it never hurts to slop it on -- since the excess is forced out when compressing the drag stack -- and just the right amount is left.

Carl Newell quotes:

Saltwater Fisherman after each trip should submerse reel in Fresh Water.  Star drag should be tightened before submersing.  Soak for 15 minutes, back off the star drag, shake and wipe off with cloth.  Place reel in sunny or warm room to allow reel and line to dry.

When rinsing any star drag reel with fresh water -- the drag stack should be tightened down -- then backed off to dry.

Newell reels are nearly entirely SS in and out -- with thermoplastic sideplates reinforced with Carbon and Glass Fiber.  The old Newell drags were the red marbled thin smoothies with SS discs -- no CFs.  But even with all SS -- your reel must be serviced regularly, and cared for.  Even high quality SS just means the reel will rust slower if not attended to properly.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broschro

Ok guys this reel was greased with cals only.I was running out out of peen grease so I used Cals only. going to get some yamaha grease today.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: broschro on January 13, 2015, 11:45:16 AM
Ok guys this reel was greased with cals only.I was running out out of peen grease so I used Cals only. going to get some yamaha grease today.

Amazon has a good deel on yahama grease. I got 3x 14oz for $23 shipped