corrosion issues on stainless steel 113 H sleeve

Started by broschro, January 12, 2015, 05:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Quote from: alantani on January 17, 2015, 04:51:32 AM
Quote from: broschro on January 12, 2015, 05:12:06 PM
I think it's the washers inside the gear causing this problem I take good care of my equipment clean fresh water wash down and air compressor blow off after each trip.did not see this on the other tank

guess i missed this.  were the drags greased?

Greased with Cals -we are speculating that the compressed air blew the grease off the gear sleeve.

alantani

Quote from: jurelometer on January 17, 2015, 04:57:15 AM
I think it's the washers inside the gear causing this problem I take good care of my equipment clean fresh water wash down and air compressor blow off after each trip.did not see this on the other tank

Greased with Cals -we are speculating that the compressed air blew the grease off the gear sleeve.

was i just surface corrosion? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jurelometer

Quote from: alantani on January 17, 2015, 05:10:41 AM

guess i missed this.  were the drags greased?

Judging from the photo- more like a squirrel chewed on it.  I read that this is what happens with galvanic corrosion on stainless- the corrosion digs in on the small areas where the passivisation is lost. lots of stainless on stainless scraping with the drag washers and all.  Since the oxide layer is crazy-thin on stainless, grease would seem to be a must in this environment.  Then life is good :)

broschro

Quote from: alantani on January 17, 2015, 05:10:41 AM

it was eaten up pretty good,