Older Rod Re-wrap

Started by Reel 224, January 16, 2015, 11:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

A question for you Jon. I have an older custom stick that was built for a friend back in 1977 and is in need of new guides, but there is also some diamond wrap at the for-grip that I do not want to change and also the rod builder signed the rod and added my friends name and date,that I want to leave also. I have already sanded the finish on the diamond wrap lightly with #400 wet&dry paper and wiped with Alcohol. DO you think the over coat with epoxy will hold?Also the signature and name do not look like they were coated with what ever was used back then...so I'm thinking just using one or two coats of Diamond II should hold nicely.

Your Thoughts would be appreciated.     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Reel 224 on January 16, 2015, 11:49:11 PM
A question for you Jon. I have an older custom stick that was built for a friend back in 1977 and is in need of new guides, but there is also some diamond wrap at the for-grip that I do not want to change and also the rod builder signed the rod and added my friends name and date,that I want to leave also. I have already sanded the finish on the diamond wrap lightly with #400 wet&dry paper and wiped with Alcohol. DO you think the over coat with epoxy will hold?Also the signature and name do not look like they were coated with what ever was used back then...so I'm thinking just using one or two coats of Diamond II should hold nicely.

You did everything I would have done.  The D2 should have no problem bonding on top of the wrap especially since you sanded it.  Make sure to take some masking tape and get all the dust off of there and you should good to go

Reel 224

Quote from: Jon Vadney on January 17, 2015, 06:08:10 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on January 16, 2015, 11:49:11 PM

You did everything I would have done.  The D2 should have no problem bonding on top of the wrap especially since you sanded it.  Make sure to take some masking tape and get all the dust off of there and you should good to go

Hey thanks Jon, this is the first time I'm leaving wrap on a rebuild and was a little unsure of myself. I would have preferred to keep the guides and re-wrapped but the guides are shot.

Just a brief history on this rod. It belonged to a good friend who lost his battle with lung cancer in 1996 and I use this rod and wanted to keep it as original as possible.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

Where you have sanded over the old wraps that you want to save, just wet a paper towel with denatured alcohol and rub over it. You will see exactly the brightness to expect when you recoat it. I have done a few old Star rods and the old wrap and graphics look like you just walked out of the store with them.

Reel 224

Quote from: Newell Nut on January 18, 2015, 01:20:37 AM
Where you have sanded over the old wraps that you want to save, just wet a paper towel with denatured alcohol and rub over it. You will see exactly the brightness to expect when you recoat it. I have done a few old Star rods and the old wrap and graphics look like you just walked out of the store with them.

That is the results I was hoping for I just wasn't sure it would turn out that way. I have wiped the rod with denatured Alcohol and some cloth, but I will do it again after removing the old guides.

thorhammer

did you wet the 400 grit? i have a Penn Int II that I need to rewrap but want to keep the original butt wrap; the whole rod has a strange haze like someone use an incompatible solvent to wipe it down.

It will the get fresh U40.

Reel 224

Quote from: thorhammer on March 23, 2015, 07:43:33 PM
did you wet the 400 grit? i have a Penn Int II that I need to rewrap but want to keep the original butt wrap; the whole rod has a strange haze like someone use an incompatible solvent to wipe it down.

It will the get fresh U40.

No I didn't wet the paper I just sanded it dry very lightly. If I was trying to finish a plain surface with no wrap then I wouldn't worry about heavier sanding by wetting the paper and surface, but in this case I wasn't sure of the product used to coat the butt wrap and as is the thread was very close to the surface and did expose in some places. I just wanted to etch it so the epoxy would adhere to it, I had to apply two coats of epoxy for a smooth finish.The outcome was better then I had expected so I am happy with the results.

thorhammer

good stuff, all. i have a couple of rods in similar shape that I'd prefer not to fully rewrap so as to keep original threadwork intact where possible. newell nut just reminded me i have a nice old star thats faded and i'm encouraged to re-epoxy it now where i ws going to strip and rewrap. one day i will learn how to use photobucket and share results

Reel 224

I use Irfan View to reduce my photos and then post them from my pictures or Documents, depends on where I save them. It's much easier then photo bucket.

thorhammer

noted, i'll check it out, thanks!

thorhammer

can you post pics of the refinish job? I think I'm about to get back after that project.

thanks!

John

Reel 224

Ill have to take some pictures of that rod and post them as soon as I can get the chance, I looked on the computer and couldn't find them so I have to take a few later. Wrong rod. Sorry

Reel 224

Okay here are some pictures of that refurbished Rod.

thorhammer

wow thats pretty clear finish! i hope I can reclaim these two I have; we'll see.

John

Reel 224

Quote from: thorhammer on June 22, 2015, 06:49:36 PM
wow thats pretty clear finish! i hope I can reclaim these two I have; we'll see.

John

John I used Diamond II finish. John Vadney has it and sells it. Great finish material. PM John I'm sure he can help.