lubricants for aussies

Started by wallacewt, November 09, 2010, 04:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

lubs that alan mentions are mostly not avail; in oz.but inox is.here are the substitutes if you want to try.
corrosive x/inox mx3
open bearings/mx5
fiber drags/sealed bearings/inside on frames etc;mx6
prices $aud $18 spray cans,
grease $8=1oz
dont mix with other lubes,wont damage braid or mono
hope this helps,saw a yank spray the mx3 down his throat in an ad;food something or other.bit like mick dundee,taste like #### but you can live on it ::)

alantani

i've been fiddling around with the inox products and they are very nice!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boofhead

Quote from: wallacewt on November 09, 2010, 04:04:01 AM
lubs that alan mentions are mostly not avail; in oz.but inox is.here are the substitutes if you want to try.
corrosive x/inox mx3
open bearings/mx5
fiber drags/sealed bearings/inside on frames etc;mx6
prices $aud $18 spray cans,
grease $8=1oz
dont mix with other lubes,wont damage braid or mono
hope this helps,saw a yank spray the mx3 down his throat in an ad;food something or other.bit like mick dundee,taste like #### but you can live on it ::)
Hi mate good info ive been using inox on the surface of my reels.
if i wanted to grease the inside of my reels with inox products should i soak the parts in kero
to get rid of old grease first.
I have also been spraying inox under the spool around the drag everywhere. Does this effect the grease inside the reel.
Thanks.

alantani

for internal surfaces, i just use an old toothbrush and spread a light coat of the existing grease all through the reel.  i don't use solvents first.  i think it's unnecessary, and these solvents really cannot be good for your health.  it's bad enough getting grease all over your hands, but i'd like to avoid breathing solvents if i can.  as for the inox spray, it should be fine.  even if a little gets into the drag system, it should not have that big of an effect.  alan

aus bass

Dragging up an old post so i dont have to start a new thread. Looking at the Inox website today and doing a little research on their products i was wondering about the use of Inox MX8 for use in reels. MX8 is the high temperature PTFE. It is listed as excellent for bearings but im not sure if they are talking about trailer bearings or not. I would be looking to use it on the inside of reels, gears and possibly bearings if applicable.

Locally in Australia i can get this product for $17 for 450g grease. Much cheaper than other products available locally.

Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

wallacewt

inox recommend mx6 grease for reels.$8aud=1oz,its also ptfe,

Strewth

Anyone been using Inox MX6/MX8 for packing small bearings? Thinking of giving it a shot for the non-spool bearings in my baitcasters.

wallacewt

yep,i use mx6 on cf drags,bearings,frames,couple of years now.dont use mx5 anymore on open bearings,bit heavy and it also slowed up.alan sent me a can of tsi301 for the coming year.i tried cals grease and cant see any difference in  performence compared to mx6.in fact last summer i had a jar of cals next to the mx6,cals seperated in the heat and mx6 didnt.so with the price,cost,and performence i just stick to mx6.it says on the packet dont mix with other greases so i wash and clean with white spirits,allow to dry then apply mx6.best shot is to give it a try and see if it suits.$8 a tube and it cant do any damage.good luck

Strewth

The Inox website seems to recommend MX8 for fishing reels, rather than MX6?

alantani

well, we've got an inox guy here.  you may get an answer!   ;D

wallacewt

angela chandon the bosses daughter recommended mx6 to me.works fine,is mx8 better?i dont know ive never used it. good one for INOXICATED.

TonyFriend

Alan, you have to go to the INOX website
http://www.inox-mx3.com/inox.htm
and click on  "About us".
It is so beautifully typically Australian

INOXicated

Mx6 will work as it is a light brown grease made with polyalphaolefins and special bentone thickener. It also contains additives to protect against corrosion and oxidation. mx6 has an operating temp of -30C and has no melting point. It contains no petrochemicals there for it is not draw moisture (known as being hydroscopic). I personally use this as a assembly lube. I use the mx8 (red grease used by some reel manufacturers for bearings and gears) in just that application. I also use it in spool bearing but rethinking that as I learn from this site. The mx8 is Lithium comples and PTFE base. Mx8 will not thin out because of its shear resistance or thicken because it resists oxidation. I also use it as light protective coating inside. One of the cool things about mx8 is it comes in a arersol can and can be sprayed into bearings, when the propellant dissipates you are left with pile of grease (that the way we demo as shows). Back to the spool bearings. I had given Alan a can of our mx5 which is the mx3 product with a high amount of PTFE added. I was thinking about this product for spool bearings. Inox mx3 contains no silicon, acid, kerosene or dieselene. It will not harm mono, spectra, metals, plastics, paints, enamels, fiberglass, fromica or neoprene seals. It doesn't dry out, gum up, become gooey, wash off with water. It is non-static, non-conductive, non-staining, non-toxic. Mx3,mx4 Lanox grease,mx6 actually have NSF certification. We also have a Kosher cert. For more information and uses you can visit our website or for a list of southwest retailers go to www.inoxlubewest.com

www.APdistribution.com
Senior Account Rep. Amazing Products LLC.
www.Apdistribution.com
www.grip-n-hook.com

Strewth

Thanks for the info. So your recommendation is to use MX8 for all non-spool bearings and gears? Red is a great colour for general purpose grease, as you can see it. I did not know that MX8 is used by some reel manufacturers - can you reveal who these are?

INOXicated

Also the mx3 (little tube, yellow oil) is used by those same guys. ;)
Senior Account Rep. Amazing Products LLC.
www.Apdistribution.com
www.grip-n-hook.com