Jigmaster question

Started by tinboat814, February 02, 2015, 06:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinboat814

Hey thanks so much for the help guy's! Now it's time for me to start my build.

Big Tim

My go to reel is a 500 With all the upgrades except the 5:1 gear. No special reason for not changing out the gears. I regularly fish 240' deep and have pulled in several 18-25 Lingcod without a bit of strain on the reel.Easy 20#+ drag.

Big Tim

mine on the left

Alto Mare

Tim, that's a nice size fish. The 500 with all of the upgrades, has become one of my favorite reel for sure. I'm also not crazy about the 5:1, 4:1 serve me just fine.
Is that straight  30# mono on yours?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Big Tim

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 08, 2015, 08:24:15 PM
Tim, that's a nice size fish. The 500 with all of the upgrades, has become one of my favorite reel for sure. I'm also not crazy about the 5:1, 4:1 serve me just fine.
Is that straight  30# mono on yours?

400 yards of 65 power pro, topped with 30#.

What don't you like about the 5:1 gears ? I just ordered Alan's  DD bridge with the custom 5:1 gears.

Tim

Keta

Not enough mechanical advantage, 4:1 works better for most of my fishing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Should have known, you California boys love braid ;D. Nothing wrong with the 5:1 ratio, I personally have no need for them. For the type of fishing I do, the 4:1 will do just fine and will also take a little more abuse, but you should do just fine with yours.
Make sure the custom sleeve from Black Pearl comes with those.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Big Tim

I'm putting the 5;1 in that Accurate 500 of mine and was thinking of putting it back on the Seeker SC670-8 CT it came with to try my hand at tossing Irons this June on the SOA ?
Input?

Big Tim

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 08, 2015, 09:02:03 PM
Should have known, you California boys love braid ;D. Nothing wrong with the 5:1 ratio, I personally have no need for them. For the type of fishing I do, the 4:1 will do just fine and will also take a little more abuse, but you should do just fine with yours.

;D ;D ;D Yes we Cali Boyz love us some braid! I believe the sleeve comes in the kit, if not I will get one for sure

Alto Mare

Quote from: Big Tim on February 08, 2015, 09:04:44 PM

;D ;D ;D Yes we Cali Boyz love us some braid! I believe the sleeve comes in the kit, if not I will get one for sure
:D...
I'm just starting on it myself, so far I'm not crazy about it, I need to get used to it i guess.

Keta

Should have known, you California boys love braid ;D.

You better watch who you are calling a Californian..... ;D

I went from Dacron to Spectra so the change was not as bad as going from mono to braid.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

Oregon doesn't count  ;D ;D ;D Is that even a state ;D

Big Tim

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 08, 2015, 09:17:05 PM
Quote from: Big Tim on February 08, 2015, 09:04:44 PM

:D...
I'm just starting on it myself, so far I'm not crazy about it, I need to get used to it i guess.

It's like switching from Jack Daniels to Jim Beam, once you get use to it you love it ;D

Keta

Quote from: Big Tim on February 08, 2015, 09:22:20 PM
Oregon doesn't count  ;D ;D ;D Is that even a state ;D

State of confusion.

Mark Twain

kmstorm64

I prefer the stock ratio on the 500 over the 5:1.  I found it retrieved really fast but seemed to be really challenged for salmon trolling and that is a mere 24-30 onces. Let alone if somehting is on it of any size and wants to fight.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

tinboat814

I got my reel in and I ordered a bunch of parts, but I have some more questions. First one, the reel came with the steel main gear. Can it hold up to the higher drag pressure or should I get the stainless 4:1? My next question is just a gee wiz. About how old would you guess a maroon blank side plate Jigmaster is?