Started by tinboat814, February 02, 2015, 06:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

how much drag do you plan to use?

tinboat814

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: tinboat814 on February 26, 2015, 09:59:35 PM
no more than #20-24.

Thats maxing this reel out! I would definitely opt for the SS 4:1 then if thats what you are running the reel at.

tinboat814

I'm hoping with all the upgrades it can handle it, but that's the only part that I haven't changed yet.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: tinboat814 on February 27, 2015, 07:10:28 AM
I'm hoping with all the upgrades it can handle it, but that's the only part that I haven't changed yet.

You will definitely giving it a solid work out. Do you use the custom spacers from Black Pearl? Those will definitely help keep things in alignment under the stress.

tinboat814

I have a tiburon frame. I'm hoping that will help if I plan on running that high of a drag.

txangler81

Maybe Sal will chime in no one knows the capabilities of these up grades better than he does. I myself worry more about the amount of pressure being put on the side plates because it would seem to me that they are now the weakest link.

doradoben

What is the heaviest line that you plan on fishing on this reel? To fish 40 lb. test requires about 13 lb. of drag at the top of the spool.

tinboat814

Sal pm'd me and gave me some good advice on what these reels can handle. Since I'm going to be bottom fishing with my reel and I'm leaving the chrome spool on I'm going to load it with 50 lb dacron (just because it's cheaper than spectra) and throw on a 50 lb mono topshot. I should keep my drag around 16 lbs and go no higher than 20 lb if I have to crank down on something like a big aj or cobia. I bought one of Bryan's 5 + 1 drag kits to keep the drag smooth. Although the 5+1 is capable of much more than 20#s I'd rather have smooth than just big numbers. The the big thing is going to be on me and remember to stay calm if I hook on to something big and not push this reel beyond its limits.

BMITCH

Yeah well, a well placed thumb = 4# or so drag. I've caught my share of tuna up to 125# or so. All my reels are set at 20# of drag with 60# Momoi diamond. That stuff is gonna break somewhere near 68-72#. I believe it over tests. Anyway, an educated thumb at the right times does a world of good. You should be great at 15-18# of drag? Let us see how you make out.
luck is the residue of design.