Small boat/kayak conventional reel opinions?

Started by coastal_dan, February 06, 2015, 06:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 08, 2015, 09:11:00 PM

Penn Jigmaster 501: Arguably the finest all-around Yak reel made, toughest possible combo due to brutally simple design. Makes clickety clickety noises. Reassuring to some, noise to others. Much bigger than the 12 size Penns (and bigger than an Avet SX).

I Agree!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JoePlo

Interested in hearing what you end up with. I fish out of 14ft ProAngler a lot. Oddly enough I put a Penn 150 on a small casting rod for flounder. Very weird though since the reel is quite heavy compared with the carbon lite rod.

Curious about what gear you normally fish with out of the yak. I found the abuse taken by gear on the yak is quite a bit more then on a boat.

coastal_dan

Thanks all for the input!

I ended up buying a custom Connely rod at the AC boat show Saturday, but the size of the reel stays the same!  These rods are really nice, take a look when you can...

http://www.connleyfishing.com/default.aspx

I think the 501 is going to be a little big for my style of kayak fishing, I use my 500 sharking from the yak and its right on, but I wouldn't want to hold it all day togging/flounder jigging.  Now if I was fishing on the West Coast for yellowtail and what not a 501 would be my first choice!

I'm thinking I'll go with either the Squall 12 or the Fathom 12; there are some great deals to be had on fleabay.  I do really like the old school style and ease of dismantle of a Surfmaster 100 or the Squidder 146 though...

And yeah...I'm thinking it's gotta be a Penn (I know closed minded of me  ::))

JoePlo - I usually take two rods, a 3500 - 4000 series spinner with 20 lb braid and a small conventional with 30 lb braid.  The avet was a really nice size for the yak, the SXJ would have been even better.  I agree though yaking is really hard on gear; whether you dump the boat in the water or if it slides off the cart in the sand accidentally.  Also, I always like to 'keep my tip up' so to speak when fishing around structure; rather than having the rods in the built in holders (which put the rod out to the side) I put them on my crate so I know I won't loose any tips or rod ends banging into rocks or pilings.  I gotta say though...its addicting and I enjoy it a lot more than standard boat fishing.  The solitude is peaceful, allows me to drain any negative emotions from the week right out through the scuppers  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

JoePlo

I own 3 Connely rods and love them. Did have trouble with my Kingfish rod as the tip sheered off. Brian was great and just sent me a new rod no questions. Also with the Tortugas one of the rod guide inserts came out. Stuff happens. They are nice light rods. I now have release reel on tortugas and the trolling rod is awaiting one of my TLDs to be repaired.

Fishing the Gulf I usually take Shimano Saragosa 8k on Tallus heavy rod, Penn Spinfisher V 4500 on Tigerlite Jigging Heavy, Penn 113HN Baja Special on Penn Slammer rod, Release reel on Connely King rod aaaaaaand a Penn 4400 on floppy ugly stick for sabiki.

Guess you could say I have a problem on the PA14. I end up taking everything I own just because I can.

Have you rolled with your rods sticking out like a porcupine? I always worried in an outback that i would snap some rods real fast. I got tossed once in the surf and it was memorable to say the least.

coastal_dan

Wow, you do go with a full arsenal! Good to hear about the Connely rods, as long as they stand by their product I'll be happy, the guys were extremely nice and informative at the show.

You probably have a much wider variety of sizes in your fish at a closer distance.  Majority of my catches (except when I'm sharking) are going to be up to 8-10 lbs or so.  Lots of bottom fishing with live bait and jigging with bucktails/tog jigs; although I'm really hoping for a double digit tog this year ;D.  I haven't trolled much but it's on my to do list for Stripers and Blues.

I had a great day over the summer when I caught 9 species of fish in a morning all using strips of fresh surf clam, it never ceases to amaze me.

My wife and I have been talking about vacationing on the Gulf next fall, sounds like your area might be right up our alley!  I'm allowed one solid day of fishing on our family vacations, yes, she is awesome  ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

bluefish69

Dan

In Jamaica Bay Queens NY we can start catching Stripers in Mid April & go through July with Big fish from a Yak. This is in sheltered waters in sight of JFK Airport. Fish from the Teens up to the 50's will be here. We will be waiting for the Bunker to show up.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

coastal_dan

That sounds like an invitation! :D  If so, maybe I'll try to get up there this Spring!  We get a good run in the Delaware Bay in the Spring but I haven't had a chance to fish it yet.  Another thing on my list to do  ::)...haha.
Dan from Philadelphia...

bluefish69

I don't have or want to be on a Yak, too small for me. There is a 6 man boat 35' close by 1 mile away that I will make a trip this Spring.

coastal_dan

Haha, understood.  It's definitely not for all, my wife and folks thing I'm a bit nuts, but what else is new  :)  Being able to pedal rather then paddle makes a huge difference in both fishability and comfort for me.
Dan from Philadelphia...

redfish12

Dan come with the rest of the snaggedline guys the weekend after Mother's Day in May! I've been fishing JBay for the past 5 years and it is always an awesome trip! In addition to the big bass on bunker there are big blues, fluke, and weakfish all in the same areas!

coastal_dan

Very true Redfish12 - good to see you here  ;D!  I've seen that thread, need to investigate now.

Just got a smokin' deal on an International 965, so not quite what we were all saying, but it's one of my dream reels and I think it will be perfect for my style of fishing.

I truly appreciate the input and hopefully someone else can use the info presented here in their future purchasing.

Dan from Philadelphia...

bluefish69

Redfish12

I grew up in Broad Channel & have been living by Crossbay Blvd. & Belt Pkwy. since 1972. You can say that I am a local to Jamaica Bay.

Mike

Dominick

Quote from: bluefish69 on February 11, 2015, 04:20:42 PM
Redfish12

I grew up in Broad Channel & have been living by Crossbay Blvd. & Belt Pkwy. since 1972. You can say that I am a local to Jamaica Bay.

Mike
Mike: you are close to the Red Top Deli.  They make the best Italian Semolina bread among other things.  If you don't know of it, it is on Francis Lewis Blvd. south of the Belt by about a 1/2 mile.  Redfish if you are going to fish up there bring your ear protection.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redfish12

We actually camp at Floyd Bennett Field for the weekend and believe me I know it's LOUD! Mike, sounds like we need to pick your brain on where to fish up there! Any pointers would be appreciated! I usually fish from the sea plane ramp at floyd bennett field and fish all around the islands out there.

steelfish

Quote from: RowdyW on February 07, 2015, 06:13:38 AM
501 with a graphite body??? ???

LOL sorry, my mistake. I was referring to the side plates but I was also corrected that they are Plastic or Bakelite.

The Baja Guy