Small boat/kayak conventional reel opinions?

Started by coastal_dan, February 06, 2015, 06:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Just recently sold my Avet SX due to just too long of a handle lever and never needing that much line!  Also, becoming kind of a Penn nut (all the thanks to this site!)  

Target species: Tog, Gray Triggerfish, Flounder, Stripers, Drum

Target Line I'll be using: 30 lb braid to tactical angler clip

Pole: St. Croix Tidemaster MH 12-25 lb line

Budget: Varies depending on what may need to be done, maximum price of say $140 nicely upgraded.

I fish from a Hobie Outback 80% of the time, the other 20% is on 20 - 24 ft center consoles.

So, with that being said....my options seem to be as follows:

1)Surfmaster 100 (Plenty of Newell upgrades available and looks like a great size)

2)Squidmaster 146 (I like this size, slightly harder to find)

3)Penn Senator 1/0 (Looks like a nice size, upgrades available, the ability to add a tiburon frame is nice but costly)

4)Penn 210 (a little bigger than I'm looking for and its a levelwind, but a neat reel)

5)Penn 109m (I don't want a foreign made one, so the older ones are harder to find, also a levelwind)

6)Penn 180 (just built one for my dad, great size reel)

Any others that you suggest and your opinions truly matter!  Thanks folks!

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

MarkT

There is the Avet SXJ that's narrower than the standard SX. I'm not too fond of my SX, I prefer the form factor of the MXJ which is a tiny bit narrower and taller. A Penn Squall 12 is nice and small with big powerful drags. I have the Fathom 12 and like it for light line but for yakkin I think you'd be better off with a graphite body reel.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

redfish12

Penn Squall 12 would be a good option but might be a little big for that rod. Same with the old school choices you mention above, probably large on that rod but a 146 or 100 would be my picks.

You are lucky you don't need a LH! I would reach out to Randy at the Vintage Offshore Tackle forum on this site and grab one of his Newell 220s. They are a graphite frame version of the 146 and they are much lighter! Great bottom fishing reel that does great double duty in the kayak for livelining or trolling. It has one of the loudest clickers EVER.

MarkT

Isn't a Squall 12 smaller than a 146 or 220?  It'll drag both of them backwards until they drown too!

FatTuna

steelfish

Once I heard a penn 501 is one of the best kayak reels you can get.
Strong enough for the species listed, not many bearings to care for, strong graphite body and alloy spool.

Saying that, I have my 505hs with 150 yds of 30 braid as backing and a lot of 30lb mono in top.
The Baja Guy

RowdyW

MarkT

A 501 has plastic or Bakelite sideplates depending on the age.  No bearings in a 501, I'd rather go with a GS535 with a Daiwa SL or even better, a Torque handle like the one on my mag 525.

redfish12

Diawa SL20SH would be another good one to look into!

SoCalAngler

If infact the Penn SQL 12 is too big for that rod then the Daiwa BG 20 and SL20SH would too big also becuase they are just a bit narrower than the SQL 15 the bigger brother to the 12.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on February 07, 2015, 06:31:35 AM
A 501 has plastic or Bakelite sideplates depending on the age.  No bearings in a 501, I'd rather go with a GS535 with a Daiwa SL or even better, a Torque handle like the one on my mag 525.

Yeah Mark you got that idea from me on the other board, its also a sticky on one of the Penn boards here.

MarkT

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 08, 2015, 01:48:27 AM
Quote from: MarkT on February 07, 2015, 06:31:35 AM

Yeah Mark you got that idea from me on the other board, its also a sticky on one of the Penn boards here.

Absolutely, and a great idea it is too!

Big Tim

whalebreath

johndtuttle

Quote from: whalebreath on February 08, 2015, 04:56:04 AM
Shimano Calcutta 400 of some type.

Very sweet reel...but too nice for a yak reel unless losing it overboard or to corrosion/sand means nothing to you. *Every* kayak gets dumped in the surf sooner or later. The only thing tougher on reels than yakking is wading in breaking surf.

Penn Squall 12: Corrosion resistant frame bonus, terrific caster.

Penn Fathom: Aluminum frame bonus, a little more drag and stiffness.

Penn Jigmaster 501: Arguably the finest all-around Yak reel made, toughest possible combo due to brutally simple design. Makes clickety clickety noises. Reassuring to some, noise to others. Much bigger than the 12 size Penns (and bigger than an Avet SX).