do I need a Baja Special reel?

Started by steelfish, February 07, 2015, 04:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, lately my other "me" which is a tackle ho is having a crush on this reel, the  penn Baja Special.
but my real me which is a poor weekend warrior keeps say no, you dont.

I really like the real, love the old-school look and the beast under the hood, as well as he alloy body ala accu-frames, also love how the drags are big as a 6/0 but in a narrow 4/0 presentation, 4:1 gears for torque and it really looks good fishing them on the Mexico pangas so you dont worry if they get scratch it as happens with the gold shiny reels

but.. but.. here comes the "buts".

I already have some reels in that same class:
- Fathom 40 which has almost the same line capacity, double dogs, big drag force and cast like a dream too.
- Trini 16, this has less capacity but cast as champ, have new carbontex and upgraded dog/spring and feels like a small tank
- penn 320gti, upgraded drags and as you know has 4/0 drags and gears as well as 4:1 gears for torque, not as sturdy as the Baja but enough for my normal fisheries

so, I feel that if I go for a Baja Special it will be almost doing the same than fathom just bit more torque, I dont see if any of my reels are good for Tresher sharks but also dont think a Baja Special will do it, but hey, I dont like to go for sharks LOL.

if those first gen. Baja Special had more line capacity I think I would have gotten one a long time ago, I know there is a new line of US Senator (what they drop the baja name???) and one model is wider as the penn 4/0 senator, but for $250 I think I will better go for a used red 4/0, add double dogs and some more goodies and call it a day.

your thoughts if you where on my shoes?

did I miss something or am I totally wrong? please correct me, I was also thinking to maybe sell the trini and get the new baja version narrow, too many reels too little time to fish them all
The Baja Guy

MarkT

Sounds like you don't "need" another reel in that class but if you've become a tackle 'ho you know its not about the need... trust me, I remember who and when the "tackle ho" term was created!  It originated on Allcoast back in the day by HD, who was a true tackle 'ho by any definition... I've been following his lead for years nowl
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

LOL.. that doesnt help me too much, one point to the tackle ho on me LOL

now seriously, what big advantages will a Baja Special give me over the other 3 reels?
The Baja Guy

MarkT

If you have the fth40ld you really don't need a Baja Special or US Senator 113N. More drag control. But the 113HN probably casts better. For Yoyo, dropper loop, I'd rather have the Fathom. If you have the fth40n, well 7:1 is too fast and I'd rather have the 113hn!
A tricked out Trini 16 is faster, less power, less capacity.
A 320gti is fine for rockfish.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

MarkT

You're probably fine. Same capacity, 40" per crank on the retrieve, plenty of drag. The Fathom 40 is wider than the 113hn. Of course if you have tackle 'ho-itus then mo is mo betta!

day0ne

Nobody NEEDS a Baja Special, that's probably why I have 2, plus a YTS, a Pro Gear 454 and various 113H reels, all about the same size.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

MarkT

Yeah, no Baja Special for me but I have a YTS, Avet HX Raptor, a couple of PG 540's, Avet JX Raptor, and a Saltiga 40LDII... I'm good for 40-50#. I also have 40# on a Torium 20 for surface iron and a 40# leader on a Lexa 400 and Battle 6000. There's 50# on TLD20II for local trolling too.  I've thought I should add a 113HN just to have one!

steelfish

danm guys.. you're not helping either, I think I asked the question on the wrong forum, this place is full of tackle hos  ;D ;D ;D

Im pretty sure some of you have the sticker on the bumper of your car that says.

He who dies with the most toys wins
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on February 07, 2015, 06:27:06 AM
There's 50# on TLD20II for local trolling too. 

actually that part of the questioning on the Baja, I might forget about the Baja and get a proper 50# reel
a tanked 113H wide would to the trick or your TLD 20II is betta'? (Naa that will be part of another thread)

I friend of mine just caught a monster black bass here in Baja waters with a stock red 4/0 on 80# braid, you dont need that much line available on the 4/0 with braid since you never want to give line to a monster bass which wants to get on its cave for shelter.

a Baja Special has the guts for the stopping power of the 6/0 and plenty of line 300yd 80#..   see, now I want it again.. damn
The Baja Guy

MarkT

A Baja a Special is a proper 50# reel!  It'll get more drag than a TLD20/30II! Load it with 65/80# spectra then whatever topshot is appropriate.

I have lots of fishing toys (and will get more) but my youngest son says he wants all my fishing gear when I die. I told him I really can take it with me and I'm getting a really big coffin and taking it all with me! He said, Dad, you can't do that to me! Well, we'll see, I'm not planning on going anytime soon.

Big Tim

The power of the Dark Side is strong here  ;D I woke at 5am to get ready for work only to sit down and read this board and drink coffee. My Baja Special is a beast and now has become my sons Baja Special for anything that resembles fishing...I have to keep him from fishing in the pool (got to draw the line somewhere). If you decide to get one you will not regret it, casts well, tons of drag, narrow spool,reversible lugs, made in the USA, ect...And you can find them for less than $250.00.

I have had good luck with this person:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-Baja-Special-113HN-Star-Drag-With-Complete-Rod-Clamp-Assembly-Made-in-USA-/391029450834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0b2be852

Sorry to mess up your morning  ;D ;D ;D Got to go to work!

Big Tim

Space Herring "Commander of the Sun"

Shark Hunter

Just let "The Force" have its way. There is no reason fighting it! ;D

Daron

Green Shark, "The Rogue of the Seven Seas"
Life is Good!

Keta

Do we "need" many of the reels we have?    No, but want overpowers need most of the time.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

DaBigOno

Sounds like you need to FIX an addiction, so you need a Baja Special
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono