Bearing Shields

Started by jsam, November 12, 2010, 03:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsam

Just ordered some bearings.  Asked them to remove shields to save myself some time. I should've asked them to still include shields in bag with bearings.  Bearings showed up without the shields.  To make a long story even longer - do I need them or can I just install unshielded?

Thanks for your help.

Norcal Pescador

Is the reel for trolling or no trolling? Are the bearings for the spool or another function?

Trolling reels generally get all of the bearings packed with grease and the shields work to keep the grease in place [keeping the water out]. Non-trollers normally get a very light lube [corrosionx, reelx, tsi301 or 321, etc.] on the spool bearings for good freespool, and all other bearings packed with grease to keep water out.

See Jim Nomura's article on lubricants if you haven't already.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1018.0

Tight lines -  :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Pro Reel

When I remove the seals or sheilds from a bearing, they go in the trash. Unless your reel is rolling around in the dirt, the bearings don't need to be sheilded. Sheilds and seals trap water and grit in the bearing and makes them harder to clean. The bearings that we get are built for several aplications, some of which need to be sheilded. If the bearing is for a spool, just oil it and add an ocasional drop through the season, or any time you clean them. If the bearing is for areas of the reel other than the spool, they should probably be greased. Pack them with grease and then inspect ocasionaly to see if they need cleaned and re greased.

jsam

Thanks for the replies.  It is a casting reel - abu morrum 6600cl.  I am replacing all 4 bearings 2 of which are used on the spool.

Bryan Young

Where are you getting your bearings from with the shields removed?  Do you know the quality of the bearings are (ABEC #)?  I've yet heard of any supplier that will remove the shields.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jsam

Quote from: BryanYoung on November 14, 2010, 01:21:36 AM
Where are you getting your bearings from with the shields removed?  Do you know the quality of the bearings are (ABEC #)?  I've yet heard of any supplier that will remove the shields.

Boca.  Thay are ABEC 5.