Different 501 spool than I've seen

Started by Padre, February 11, 2015, 03:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padre

This 501 is up for sale on the big auction site. I'm new to the Penn addiction, but I haven't seen a spool like this before. Why is it shaped like this? Is it an older model?

Porthos

Chrome spool, part 29M-250,

Pre-dates the aluminum 29L-501,

Would you be planning to fish it or just display it?

Shark Hunter

It is what they call a three piece spool Padre. Penn made these before the one piece versions and Aluminum.
Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Look next to the line tie post for a part number, it should be a 110 spool.......or same as a 1/0 senator. Believe it or not, the #36 catalog "B" lists the 501M as having 500yard capacity. Don't see that happening on that little spool.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Padre

I don't think I've ever bought a reel I didn't intend to fish. It's actually a concept that I don't understand. If I get a reel, it's to fish it. Would this spool make this a less desirable fishing model than a later one?

Maxed Out

there is a 501 listed right now with the red aluminum spool...........That's the one you want if you're going to use it.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Porthos

The Penn aluminum or Newell aluminum spools are the best of the different 501 spools for fishing in the 21st century, especially if you intend to upgrade to the 5+1 drag stack, one-piece frames, and SS gear sleeve for higher drag pressures.

Check Craiglist as well...501's come up from time to time and maybe better priced.

russ1962

I found this 501 at a local tackle store. It already had the older Tib frame, Accurate handle, new HT-100 drags, and aluminum spool. All this for $40.
I have since added the s.s. gear sleeve. Awesome reel for $40, plus the cost of the s.s. sleeve !
Shop around. There are deals out there on the older Penn's.

Shark Hunter

That is a steal Russ for $40 Bucks. That is a $100 reel any day of the week with that frame.
Life is Good!

Marcq

Yup!! That's a pretty  good deal I must say

Marc..

Padre

Alto Mare

padre, you only paid for the handle...very nice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: russ1962 on February 11, 2015, 04:18:37 AM
I found this 501 at a local tackle store. It already had the older Tib frame, Accurate handle, new HT-100 drags, and aluminum spool. All this for $40.
I have since added the s.s. gear sleeve. Awesome reel for $40, plus the cost of the s.s. sleeve !
Shop around. There are deals out there on the older Penn's.
Score!!!  That is a steal for that reel and it's upgrades.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Rancanfish

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 11, 2015, 03:52:39 AM
   there is a 501 listed right now with the red aluminum spool...........That's the one you want if you're going to use it.

I'd love to find a red spool 501!  Then I'd check with Randy of Vintage...and look for a red accurate frame.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.