Clarion Is. trip on the Royal Star

Started by Islandgypsy, February 12, 2015, 10:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islandgypsy

Returned recently from a Long Range trip..still haven't figured out how to download photos from a digital camera but did take a few with an IPad for those that might be interested.

We left SD Jan 25. On our way, assembled our tackle

After almost  four days of travel, including a morning of awesome Wahoo fishing at Alijos Rocks for over seventy fish, Clarion is on the horizon.

A great sundown bite, the deck before the the tuna are put down in the RSW tanks.

A 212# I caught second morning at greylight. Penn 50 VSX, 130# JB hollow line (purchased from from Lee(Keta) and L2L topshot 130# Blackwater fluorocarbon.

Mike on a supercharged fish that went straightaway on the surface..reel is just about spooled and a back-up rig and float is clipped to his harness lugs and rod/reel is thrown overboard and fought on second rig. After the original combo was retrieved he still had enough drag to bring the fish to the boat...says a lot about greased carbon fiber drags.

Mikes fish gaffed and being waked down to the gate. About 275#..each one of these fish fights a different fight.

My "half-time" fish caught while listening to the super bowl on the radio.

After five days and nights of tuna we returned up the line for another day of stellar Wahoo fishing at Alijos.

Time to head home...the end. Can't say enough about the Captain(Randy), crew, and Jeff and Nestor in the galley. Great trip.

foakes

Great trip -- Congratulations!

Looking forward to some more pics from your digital --

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Islandgypsy

Thanks, Fred. When I get my gear cleaned up and put away I'll try to figure it out ???  GB

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Wow!  :o :o Epic adventure. You guys get some REALLY nice fish. Maybe someday. :-\
luck is the residue of design.

wallacewt

Aiala

ROYAL STAR is my boat of choice... first class operation. I have fished with her more times than I can remember over the past 20-some years. Captains Randy, Brian, and Tim are all seasoned professionals who are dedicated to absolute excellence, and the rest of the crew is always terrific, too. Randy's wife Tracy, who takes care of office business and handles the reservations, is a truly fine lady who makes everything easy and a pleasure.

If this sounds like some sort of over-the-top endorsement... IT IS!! Give 'em a try, you won't be disappointed. Just ask I. Gypsy!  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

DaBigOno

Thanks for the report.   Nice pheeshees!

The Royal Star is one of my favorites out of S.D.

Clarion Island is a far way from home, glad you had fun  :)
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

john2244

Great report, pics, and trip.  I have not followed the long trips much this year, any 300 lbers on your trip ???
John

Islandgypsy

No 300's John...but I can tell you about the one that got away. Hooked a fish on the kite just as it was getting dark on a double hooked squid. After 45 mins- maybe an hour I started to gain a little line..this was on an Penn 80 with 200 lb. Spectra and leader with rod to match...when this fish said adios and headed for the bottom in 65 fathoms of water, went over the edge, shredded the leader and broke off. No stopping him,nothing we could do. I still feel privileged just to have experienced his power ...awesome, noble fish.

Aiala,x2 on the Star! -GB

Shark Hunter

Great Report! Glad you got on some fish! ;D
Life is Good!

theswimmer

What a trip,i am still trying to scrape together$ for June .
Love the story of the rig that went for a swim!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

john2244

I sure you had a big fish on the Penn 80.  Nice 212 lber, they are fun to catch !!   Is that Nacho in the blue shirt in your 212 pic ?? I know he does a couple of trips a year on the Royal Star.  I have fished with him several times on the American Angler.
John

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt