New in box, old senator 9/0 arrived. Age of this reel anyone?

Started by trond_solem, February 14, 2015, 12:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

Today the never used Senator 9/0 I bought arrived at my doorstep.
Just as promised, it was new in box, with tools, lube and instructions.
Since it had been sitting in it's box at the former dealer, it needed some cleaning and re-lubricarion. It has HT-100 drags accessible from the outside. The drags was dry. I hope that someone can give me a hint about the age of the reel from this info.

I paid just $65 plus shipping for the reel. I think that is a bargain for this beautiful reel.

DaBigOno

Quote from: trond_solem on February 14, 2015, 12:56:33 PM
I paid just $65 plus shipping for the reel. I think that is a bargain for this beautiful reel.

I don't know how old it is, but you didn't get a bargain, you stole it!

Nice find  :)
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

TechTeach

With that spool and black handle I would say 80s -90s vintage.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

trond_solem

Quote from: DaBigOno on February 14, 2015, 01:04:27 PM
Quote from: trond_solem on February 14, 2015, 12:56:33 PM

I don't know how old it is, but you didn't get a bargain, you stole it!

Nice find  :)

Nope. :-)
A friend of the former shop owner posted it for sale on FaceBook. Nobody had any interest until I found it.

trond_solem

Quote from: TechTeach2530 on February 14, 2015, 01:08:27 PM

Forgot to mention that it has the felt washer on top of the drag stack.
I read someting somewhere about replacing it, but I can't rememeber where.
It will however get a steel main gear and a 7+1 drag stack.

Shark Hunter

That's a nice reel trond, but not vintage. I prefer the aluminum spool on these 9/0's. It amplifies the clicker. You definitely got it for a good price. Vintage models will have the chrome bronze spool. You still did good.
Life is Good!

Aiala

That's a beauty, and a WHOPPER of a good deal! (I am frankly envious.)  ;)

Both of my 9/0s have the felt washer, too... I see no need to replace them, they work just fine. 

Are you going to design an after-market frame for these, too?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

trond_solem

Quote from: Aiala on February 14, 2015, 02:14:30 PM
That's a beauty, and a WHOPPER of a good deal! (I am frankly envious.)  ;)

Both of my 9/0s have the felt washer, too... I see no need to replace them, they work just fine. 

Are you going to design an after-market frame for these, too?   :)

~A~

Already done!
Ended up with a half-frame design. More than strong enough. Requires use of the inner rings.
This is much cheaper to make than a full frame.

coastal_dan

Beauty and a great deal!  Love the half frame as well. 
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Dominick

Trond, are you physically making these up or designing them on the computer for fun?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Quote from: TechTeach2530 on February 14, 2015, 01:08:27 PM
I would have never thought the 80s or 90 would be considered vintage...that means I'm antique. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Aiala

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 14, 2015, 06:13:32 PM
...that means I'm antique. 
Hey, Bryan, when the first Penn models you ever owned have been out of production for forty years, well.... yeah. You 'n me both.            

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

You're still a young lady Aiala :).

Trond, you did really good on that reel. As for date, it isn't easy, that reel could be anywhere from the late 80's to around 2006.
I might have one of the first box that they used, but that doesn't mean much, since they all look the same.

The box on the left has the 115L sticker over the 115, both reels look identical

If one of your frames ever happens, I would recommend a different stand. you are showing one similar to Tiburon, I wouldn't mind those on smaller reels, but personally, not on larger reels,as the 9/0.
I would recommend one as Accurate did, or one as Tom did

Being milled out of one piece gets costly, if you're going with two pieces, you might want to consider this one

To me, this is one of the best design, stainless steel stand, secured with 4 screws and 2 bolts, that won't go anywhere.

sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

trond_solem

Quote from: Dominick on February 14, 2015, 06:08:22 PM
Trond, are you physically making these up or designing them on the computer for fun?  Dominick

I am trying to get them made for a reasonable cost. Working on it.

trond_solem

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 14, 2015, 07:19:45 PM

Being milled out of one piece gets costly, if you're going with two pieces, you might want to consider this one

To me, this is one of the best design, stainless steel stand, secured with 4 screws and 2 bolts, that won't go anywhere.

sal

I designed the foot so it sits in a slot that prevents it from twisting. Two M6 screws holds it tight against the bottom of the frame. The reel clamp is attached to two other bolts that wont rip out of the frame with the load levels we are talking about here. They will literally hold a ton. Likewise, the screws for the foot will hold more than enough by themself.
What's the worst case here? 50b drag, you cranking hard, about 2,5 times the drag force. at some point, the same direction as the drag force.  Combined 175lb. Say the force is about level with the top og the full spool.
That is 110mm from the foot. The rear screw is about 40mm from the pivot point at the front of the foot. That is about a 2.75 arm realation, so 175lb x 2.75 = 481.25lb is the load the rearmost screw has to hold, if we don't take the holding power of the fron screw into concideration.
I will be very surprised if you can rip the screw out of the frame with that force. Accordng to my calculations, you will need to apply a force of more than 3500lb to rip one screw out of the frame if it has 6mm of engagement. Here we have a safety factor of about 8 in this worst case.
It's worth doing it well, but overdoing it is waste of time and money.
The other screw will help holding the foot and the rod clamp will also help holding it down.  There is no way this foot is going to be ripped off the frame.