putting it back together

Started by tom5500, February 14, 2015, 08:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom5500

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 15, 2015, 02:58:02 AM
Sounds like your bearings need cleaning or replaced, it might be as simple as too much grease. if you would like them to spin, don't use grease, use oil. I use a drop of Reel-X,  also, on one of your pics the jack looks pretty corroded, I can't see the yoke. Both parts should be clean, so does the spool shaft and the inside of the pinion.

im not sure if it shows what condition the bearings in , but i pulled the side bearing out(still in the side screw cup) held it in my fingers then put the spool in and spun it.. went for ever

Keta

The outside photos are useless, it's the inside we need to see.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tom5500

tom5500

Keta

That's better but it was not what I thought. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

This may sound crazy -- but sometimes I have fixed these issues by going back over what was done.

Here is what we know --

Had decent free spool before cracking it open

Free spool dropped off after cleaning, grease, oil, and reassembly

Bearings seem good

Try this:

Back off all of the stand and post side screws just 1/8 turn, or so...

Check the free spool to see if any difference

Slightly tighten up the screws just a bit -- evenly all the way around.

Sometimes I get overly ambitious on tightening the screws attached to the stand too tightly -- then while the frame is not tweaked -- it is slightly torqued enough in one direction to cause performance issues.

Worth a try.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Those of us that have been doing this for years can forget basics that are we do without thinking, good call Fred.   Snug down screws opposite of each other until they are all snug, then finish tightening them in the same pattern.

Mark Twain

tom5500

should there be this much space with the drag backed all the way off..(im using an old jigmaster as my reference)

tom5500

Quote from: foakes on February 15, 2015, 04:42:28 PM
This may sound crazy -- but sometimes I have fixed these issues by going back over what was done.

Here is what we know --

Had decent free spool before cracking it open

Free spool dropped off after cleaning, grease, oil, and reassembly

Bearings seem good

Try this:

Back off all of the stand and post side screws just 1/8 turn, or so...

Check the free spool to see if any difference

Slightly tighten up the screws just a bit -- evenly all the way around.

Sometimes I get overly ambitious on tightening the screws attached to the stand too tightly -- then while the frame is not tweaked -- it is slightly torqued enough in one direction to cause performance issues.

Worth a try.

Best,

Fred

i gave it a shot, pretty much the same..it was bone dry when i got it , maybe the oil did slow it down  :-\

Keta

Quote from: tom5500 on February 15, 2015, 05:16:44 PM
should there be this much space with the drag backed all the way off..(im using an old jigmaster as my reference)

As long as the star isn't bottoming out it will work.

I prefer to have a tiny bit of pressure on the stack when the star is fully backed off, others like no pressure but less gap than you have.  This is "advanced reel tinkering" and we should stick to basics here for now.

Mark Twain

Keta

Quote from: tom5500 on February 15, 2015, 05:18:45 PM
i gave it a shot, pretty much the same..it was bone dry when i got it , maybe the oil did slow it down  :-\

What did you use for oil?

Mark Twain

tom5500

Quote from: Keta on February 15, 2015, 05:33:29 PM
Quote from: tom5500 on February 15, 2015, 05:18:45 PM

What did you use for oil?

abu garcia  silicote reel oil

Keta

Mark Twain

foakes

I have seen a lot of reels come in with good free spool -- because they are dry inside.

After servicing, the free spool drops off -- however, I know that the reel will last 10 times longer than a dry one, work better in the salt, and handle the largest fish time after time -- without scoring or burning the drive train.

A dry reel poorly or not lubricated, will experience as much wear in one trip -- than the same reel properly lubed will in a lifetime.

That is why an engine will run well for 300K miles or more with good maintenance and proper lubrication -- and maybe 10 minutes without oil -- before becoming toast.

Just my opinion.

Everything seems to be getting slightly better with your learning and tweaking.

If it were me, I might get some 321 oil, Yamaha Marine grease, Cal's drag grease -- take it down completely once more -- clean every part, including the inside of the pinion, and spool ends with "0000" steel wool -- reclean once more -- start from the beginning -- try it again.  The worst that will happen, is you will get more experience.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

tom5500

i'll give it a go during the week.. thanks to everyone for the help/info  :)