putting it back together

Started by tom5500, February 14, 2015, 08:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom5500

i took apart a 505(first reel ive ever done) cleaned/sanded everything looks good..having a hard time getting the side plate to snap back on and when it does its stiff to turn and the spool doesnt free spin( before cleaning it spun forever :o )  i have no idea what i missed when putting it back together

Keta

One guess would be the off handle side bearing is too tight, back it off put the reel back together and then adjust the spool thrust (side play). 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Lee is exactly correct --

Just back off the left side bearing adjuster --

Also one more hint -- when installing the right side plate assembly with the spool in place -- put the eccentric lever in the free spool position -- this will give you a little more freedom of movement when attaching everything finally together.  It backs the pinion off some.

Good work, and good learning!

Post some pics, if possible.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

You guys are confusing me :'(. Lee said handle side bearing and Fred said left side bearing. ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Keta

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 14, 2015, 09:52:52 PM
   You guys are confusing me :'(. Lee said handle side bearing and Fred said left side bearing. ;D

"off handle side"  ;)  I occasionally work on LH reels.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tom5500

i got it back together somewhat..it turns ok but not perfect.before i took it apart i got 20 second spin on the spool, now maybe 10 if lucky.. i oiled it with abu garcia silicote reel oil( what i had on hand)

Keta

Mark Twain

tom5500

when i did that the spool spun less ???

Shark Hunter

Did you clean the bearings before you re oiled them?
Life is Good!

tom5500

no, i didnt.. but when the reel was bone dry it spun great.. im still thinking i screwed somewhere along the way

Keta

Quote from: tom5500 on February 14, 2015, 10:30:18 PM
no, i didnt.. but when the reel was bone dry it spun great.. im still thinking i screwed somewhere along the way

If the side plate screwed on like a Senator you might have damaged the bearing but I doubt you could do it by force on a Jigmaster.

Mark Twain

tom5500

it was tough to get off..i lightly sanded the inside rim to get rid of the buildup and it seated ok

Shark Hunter

That reel was pretty crusty. I bet the oil loosened some crud in those bearings slowing your freespool.
That or they need replaced.
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: tom5500 on February 14, 2015, 10:45:16 PM
it was tough to get off..i lightly sanded the inside rim to get rid of the buildup and it seated ok

Good.

Mark Twain

tom5500

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 14, 2015, 10:58:33 PM
That reel was pretty crusty. I bet the oil loosened some crud in those bearings slowing your freespool.
That or they need replaced.

how would i clean them?.. they might be somewhat new as when i cleaned the drag washers they were the carbon type..maybe both were changed