putting it back together

Started by tom5500, February 14, 2015, 08:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jg125

Quote from: tom5500 on February 14, 2015, 08:36:38 PM
i took apart a 505(first reel ive ever done) cleaned/sanded everything looks good..having a hard time getting the side plate to snap back on and when it does its stiff to turn and the spool doesnt free spin( before cleaning it spun forever :o )  i have no idea what i missed when putting it back together
sounds like your spool is not seating into your pinion gear properly and you are trying to force it in make sure your pinion gear is installed correctly. seen this before

DaBigOno

According to the video, the spool has too much lateral play, you should be able to adjust that by screwing in the non-handle side plate bearing.

Then see if the drags are working properly by tightening down the star; and turning the handle and holding spool.

Let us know
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

fIsHsTiiCkS

Tighten the drag and the handle will turn the spool for the clicker

Shark Hunter

That is the first thing I notice too Al. That spool is moving around way too much.
Life is Good!

doradoben

I agree with Shark Hunter. The spool has too much side to side movement. In reply #22 the edge of the spool is clearly too far away from the handle side plate assembly. You should not be able to stick a screwdriver blade between the spool and the inside chrome ring. Try adjusting the bearing cap on the non-handle side so that the installed spool can be moved back and forth with your fingers .005" to .010" (5 thousandths to 10 thousandths of an inch). You should be able to feel it move no more than the thickness of an open matchbook cover.

*edited to correct my spelling error.  

tom5500

ok .. redid it once again  ;D .. got everything perfect, spool doesnt move side to side, everything functions  8)

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tom5500

:D  im pretty sure the way i put it back together was my issue..(another poster mentioned pinion gear) after i rechecked everything i held the handle side in my hand then inserted the spool corectly into the pinion then put the case on, twisted and  :)

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

jg125

Quote from: tom5500 on February 19, 2015, 07:43:58 PM
:D  im pretty sure the way i put it back together was my issue..(another poster mentioned pinion gear) after i rechecked everything i held the handle side in my hand then inserted the spool corectly into the pinion then put the case on, twisted and  :)
Had a couple of reels come to me that way some take a little more effort to get the spool to seat correctly glad it worked out we were all there at one time.