Jigmaster 506HS Upgraded and Tanked!

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, February 15, 2015, 06:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 15, 2015, 02:43:36 PM
I heard you guys talk about it before, personally, I would never go without a tension spring...just my 2 cents ;)
Sal, best option would be to cut the spacer but cutting stainless is not very easy.  He really should end his stack with a keyed washer and the tension spring.   That is the basis of my suggestion.

Is the keyed washer under the gear sitting flat on the rachet?  I think there was like 1/16 in. that needed to be grounded down.

Did I send you a drag kit with an extra keyed washer for under the drag stack?  I don't recall.  Are you using a penn washer for the last washer in the stack?  This may be the 2 contributing factors leading to the spacing problem you are having.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Ok Bri Bri, here is my take on it and again, just my opinion, you guys do as you please.
The last keyed washer on top of the stack does not help with the star backing out, but a tension/belleville washer does. this is the main reason the tension spring was set it, to keep the star from backing itself out when under stress. That tension spring will also help with adjusting the drags gradually.
I do not believe in the carbon fiber washer for under the gear,  I have found that replacing that washer with an acetal/ delrin washer will give me the smoothest reel, adding another on top doubles the pleasure.
I do not have any issues using the belleville as Jason is, but he's still using an acetal under your spring. Honestly, I believe he'll do better with just the acetal/delrin belleville there, its working on mine just fine :-\, he needs to crank down on the star at first and everything falls in just right, but he will also need the correct spacer. Alan C has 3 sizes in stock, he shouldn't be having any issues.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Simply awesome reel!  Looking forward to hearing about getting it tweaked just right.  Thanks for sharing!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

foakes

Great job, Fstiks --

If you had 3 or 4 tanks like these in various sizes up to 6/0 --

A HD 2 speed

And a HD Spinner

That is all you might need for a long range trip.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 15, 2015, 05:38:48 PM
Ok Bri Bri, here is my take on it and again, just my opinion, you guys do as you please.
The last keyed washer on top of the stack does not help with the star backing out, but a tension/belleville washer does. this is the main reason the tension spring was set it, to keep the star from backing itself out when under stress. That tension spring will also help with adjusting the drags gradually.
I do not believe in the carbon fiber washer for under the gear,  I have found that replacing that washer with an acetal/ delrin washer will give me the smoothest reel, adding another on top doubles the pleasure.
I do not have any issues using the belleville as Jason is, but he's still using an acetal under your spring. Honestly, I believe he'll do better with just the acetal/delrin belleville there, its working on mine just fine :-\, he needs to crank down on the star at first and everything falls in just right, but he will also need the correct spacer. Alan C has 3 sizes in stock, he shouldn't be having any issues.
My Buddy Sal,

He did start with the acetel spring washer and he also had a clearance problem.  I think he also is using acetel under the main gear, but supportive by a thin keyed washer.

My concern is that his last washer is in the drag stack...it's an eared washer, which will turn with the gear, not the gear sleeve.  The gear will rotate under pressure in a counter clockwise direction.  The spring washer, which is not keyed, may also rotate in a counter clockwise direction.  This may turn the spacer in a counter clockwise direction and the spacer is in contact with the spacer, that under tension, may also rotate in a counter clockwise direction.  For this reason you will always see the last washer used on the gear stack will be keyed to the gear sleeve.  I have seen and experienced that under drag pressure, if you install the drag stack incorrectly, the top washer, spring washer, spacer and star act like one unit.  Note that you will not have this issue with star drag reels that use keyed sleeves.

I have never had a star back off with a keyed washer on top under any pressure.  I recommend using a spring washer to help distributer the pressure to the center and edges of the drag stack for greater consistent pressure irrespective of what you use.

For some of the drag upgrade kits out there,  the last keyed washer, what they call a pressure plate, is thicker in the center and thinner at the edge.  This design will help place even pressure on the entire drag stack since deflection of the metal washers is eliminated due to this design.

They key in the keyed washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Buddy, with no disrespect, you just gave me a headache ::) ;D. I have  seen the star back out, it backs out when the tension spring doesn't sit straight, usually when the last eared washer is out of place, tilted with one ear sitting on the lip of the main gear. The star will also back out when you don't use the tension spring. Penn uses a wavy washer, those do  a good job, but my Delrin belleville is doing a better job.
Again just my opinion and not twisting anyone's arm.
I like the latest combination on my reels and for me it will be very hard to change it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Good Work Jason! I just did a 506 last night and yours puts mine to shame. :'(
Awesome build Buddy! ;D
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

First, THANK YOU to everyone for the very kind words on the build! It was something I really took my time on and I want to stress how it all started around Alan C's gears! They are great and I would love to push for him to make another run of these  ;D

QuoteBeautiful work Jason. When you mention that the Delrin belleville didn't fit, could you be more specific?, did it hit the side plate or did you have an issue with the star? You've also mentioned too soft, I'm sure you mean to springy, that would be a good thing. The acetal itself is very strong.
Also, could I have the part # of the ss bridge screws, I want to help look around and see if I could find some as the original.

Sal, I did not have a spacing issue with the acetal washer, it fit well into the side plate. The added height if the washer and 5+1 stack just made the original 12.5mm spacer not work AT ALL. Needed to switch to a 10.5mm and even then I ground another 1mm off! I like the washers A LOT and use them in some reels, just for this one I think the feel is better with the one Bryan offers. It really just came down to a preference thing.

UPDATED this with the screw info! Here are the SS bridge screws I used. http://www.mcmaster.com/#92196a138/=vxai2u

Quotex 2 - Looks good. It looks like you started with a 24-66 handle but what is the black arm on the finished reel?

Hey Michael,

Its a black accurate handle that I got from Randy awhile back. The Knob is not accurate but it is one of my favorite and I have a few in different colors and sizes.

QuoteYour new pinion has a larger hole for the rectangularish engagement portion of the spool shaft. The original gear has a smaller hole as the 505/506 spool shaft where this engagement portion clicks in. Do you think that this uneven pressure on the engagement portion of the shaft and on the new gears will damage the shaft or gears over time?Huh??

The slot for the spool engagement is the same size on both pinions. I think it just looks different in the pictures. Im not really a photographer  :-\

QuoteSal, best option would be to cut the spacer but cutting stainless is not very easy.  He really should end his stack with a keyed washer and the tension spring.   That is the basis of my suggestion.

Is the keyed washer under the gear sitting flat on the rachet?  I think there was like 1/16 in. that needed to be grounded down.

Did I send you a drag kit with an extra keyed washer for under the drag stack?  I don't recall.  Are you using a penn washer for the last washer in the stack?  This may be the 2 contributing factors leading to the spacing problem you are having.

Now Sal and Bryan or Bri Bri as Sal nicknamed you  ;D

I have loved reading your comments! First, the stack is a normal 5 stack with the keyed washer sitting on the top! It just looks like an eared one because of the grease. Bryan, I have bought A LOT of spare SS washers from you just for builds like this, the SS washers are from you but the CF washers I cut myself. All CF washers are 0.50mm as are the SS washers from you. It just sits much higher due to the 5 stack. Also, I did talk to Alan T. about the 1/16 inch and I ground it down when I received it.

I am still going to play with the spring washer/spacer setup and see what the best tweaks are for it.

Quote from: foakes on February 15, 2015, 05:53:23 PM
Great job, Fstiks --

If you had 3 or 4 tanks like these in various sizes up to 6/0 --

A HD 2 speed

And a HD Spinner

That is all you might need for a long range trip.

Best,

Fred

Thanks Fred! I actually have everything you said. I have a couple tanks  ;D. Now lets go on a LR trip!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 15, 2015, 08:36:42 PM
Awesome build Buddy! ;D

I saw you build and solid work! I really like these reels!

fIsHsTiiCkS

QuoteFor some of the drag upgrade kits out there,  the last keyed washer, what they call a pressure plate, is thicker in the center and thinner at the edge.  This design will help place even pressure on the entire drag stack since deflection of the metal washers is eliminated due to this design.

This is true and I place a standard Penn Keyed washer on top of the stack off all my 5 stacks that spacing allows for it. It makes for a much better pressure distribution.

Bryan Young

Entertainment...love it from your neighborhood Bry Bry.  :p

Keta

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on February 15, 2015, 09:39:50 PMThis is true and I place a standard Penn Keyed washer on top of the stack off all my 5 stacks that spacing allows for it. It makes for a much better pressure distribution.

Depending on the stack height I occasionally use a stock thickness eared washer for the top one too.  As long as the ears are more than 1/2 way in the gear I have no problems.  I also use stock and .020 keyed Penn 60 washers for spacers between the top keyed washer and the spacer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Jason, you did a beautiful job, wait a minute, I said that already. Never mind...carry on ;)

steelfish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 15, 2015, 08:36:42 PM
Awesome build Buddy! ;D

dont be that hard on yourself, you did a fantastic resurrection to your 506HS too
The Baja Guy

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 15, 2015, 10:37:27 PM
Jason, you did a beautiful job, wait a minute, I said that already. Never mind...carry on ;)

Thanks Sal, all possible because of the members here!  Actually started this build because Alan C. said you had some questions about that gear set in the 505.