Double doged 130 Sailfisher

Started by Mattman NZ, February 18, 2015, 03:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattman NZ

Quote from: john2244 on February 18, 2015, 03:36:00 AM
Nice work on the 130.  George turned me on to the 130 model and it is a great reel to fish with.  I have a spool if you need one but I am not sure of the condition as I have not seen it in awhile.
John
Hi John - Thanks  for the offer mate but you hang on to that spool you just never know what just might turn up .

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Mattman,
you are too Humble Brother! And I have to say, That is the biggest Stihl I have ever seen!
I am sure you made it snow! with that Monster!
Life is Good!

Mattman NZ

Time to fix up a few thing I wasn't too happy with the last time I worked on this bridge -mainly the post that retains the spring for the second dog - It was a bit too thin and needed a small piece of tubing to keep it there so decided to make a new one and jewel the bridge as well.
Removed the dog post and spring post after a bit of heat and cut a length of brass rod.

Turned down to fit the spring and then the bridge .

Into the bridge to see how it fits .

Happy with how its fitting into the bridge -taped in and cut the back off .

And back in the chuck to shape the head of the spring post - dome done with file then 400grt wet & dry.

All done and ready to be pressed into the bridge after a drop of Loctite red.

Mattman NZ

Now for the jewelling of the bridge and setting up the compound vice.

Set up and a few passes.

Just about done.

Done the outside of the bridge with the larger diameter bit .

Spring post pressed in .

Now for the dog post.

Time to put it all back together.

All done.

Enjoy.
Rgds
Matt...

raumati01

Quote from: Mattman NZ on February 18, 2015, 10:54:26 AM

Sal
Thanks Sal - I wish I was  but i'm a logger at heart and only got into collecting penns in the last year - Gee I remember back in the 80s I pulled my 2nd Penn a  155 apart for a quick clean and lube etc - it took me three goddamn days to get that dam dog and spring back in.lol and now do it in the blink of an eye .
Matt...

[/quote]

Is that an 066? I have one of those as my next project  after I finish my 036.

Nice work on the sailfishers, I bet there aren't many around tricked out especially to the degree that you have done them.

Mattman NZ

Hi Raumati01 and thanks for the deal on those Sail fishers  ;D - don't think ill get another one like that and the saw is next size up - MS-880 magnum .121.6cc of pure grunt . ;D

raumati01

Quote from: Mattman NZ on March 09, 2015, 05:38:58 AM
Hi Raumati01 and thanks for the deal on those Sail fishers  ;D - don't think ill get another one like that and the saw is next size up - MS-880 magnum .121.6cc of pure grunt . ;D

That would have been a mission to carry around all day, but a lot of fun to use. I didn't know they made 880s in a magnum, is it just a dual port muffler or are there more differences?. I scored an 070 the other day, I'm going to chew up some gum logs with it when I have some spare time.

Rothmar2

Great workmanship with these mods.
Shame you can't see the jeweled bridge.
Clear Perspex side plates anyone?

Mattman NZ

Quote from: raumati01 on March 09, 2015, 06:41:05 AM
Quote from: Mattman NZ on March 09, 2015, 05:38:58 AM
Hi Raumati01 and thanks for the deal on those Sail fishers  ;D - don't think ill get another one like that and the saw is next size up - MS-880 magnum .121.6cc of pure grunt . ;D

That would have been a mission to carry around all day, but a lot of fun to use. I didn't know they made 880s in a magnum, is it just a dual port muffler or are there more differences?. I scored an 070 the other day, I'm going to chew up some gum logs with it when I have some spare time.
I don't know much about the 880 - but what I do know its not light but cuts really fast using 404 full chisel chain - it had 1/2 a tank through it before my accident and 2 tanks since .I still like the old Canadian saws and add the Pioneer 620-640's to the list as well .  

raumati01

Pioneers are very  cool, have two now . What are the other Canadian brands?

Mattman NZ

Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 09, 2015, 08:10:52 AM
Thanks Rothmar2 - Yeh I know what your saying - I wish for see through plates and spools but I don't think its going to happen - not in my lifetime anyway - but I know its there and that's what counts. Lol. The Jig masters I done last year still look like they were done yesterday and the lube im using sticking to the jeweled surface really well.  

Mattman NZ

Quote from: raumati01 on March 09, 2015, 08:39:47 AM
Pioneers are very  cool, have two now . What are the other Canadian brands?
The only one I know of is called a (Canadian - 270)  my dads using it to cut up Norfolk pines.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 09, 2015, 08:10:52 AM

Okay.

(Not a Penn though, sorry. Not yet anyway.)

redsetta

Wow! :o
Impressive work as always Doc
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer