9/0 usa or china

Started by garking84, February 19, 2015, 11:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

This one has an L2 Eccentric. It fits and was on the cheap, compliments of Big T. ;)

Let me put it this way Mike. I'll take that reel off your hands if you don't want it. I think those plates are kind of rare. I can trade you this reel with a ss sleeve and new 5 stack already in it. Its all USA except for the eccentric. Or I can just give you the $160 you have in it. I think this is a transition reel. It has both China and US parts.
Your reel doesn't have the same eccentric nut and the H2 models have that nut on top of the sleeve with a plastic cap on it. Your reel has neither. If you want to trade. I will have to keep my handle. Those are getting rare too! ::)
Personally, I would tank that baby out! ;D
Life is Good!

phillyguy

Quote from: garking84 on February 19, 2015, 11:39:52 PM
I recently bought a 9/0 seller  said it's made in usa.  I paid 160 for a new 9/0 usa made I thought  it was a good deal. But nowhere on the reel does it say usa. Box says usa but then again you could always exchange boxes.  Sal, daron, all you senator experts please let me know what you think.

The reel is made in the USA.  The last large run of 115L Senator reels made in Philly used that style left and right side plate.    

Last run made in USA RS plate to the right, China made 115L2 plate to the left.  And as someone else stated the China made 115l2 have a 1/2 graphite frame.  No made in USA 115L ever had a 1/2 graphite frame.  The RS plate bearing hole is also a dead giveaway its made in USA

phillyguy

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 19, 2015, 11:46:11 PM
   I was told that Penn is making the 9/0 in the USA again.

Sorry, you got incorrect info. 

garking84

Sorry for taking a long time in responding.  I feel asleep early last night and I just finished a 12 hr Shift.  I want to thank all of you for sharing your thoughts. Daron give me a few days to think about your offer. I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do, I like the reel but I'm a  little crazy I need to be 100% sure my reels are made in usa. All I use are old Penns and new avets . Does anyone know how I could contact penn maybe they know something we don't.

CooldadE

Dump the reel and get one that says Made in USA on the sideplate... It's the only way to be sure ...I have two Chinese Jigmasters I got cheap as a parts lot. Have fished with no probs, in fact they have some SS parts the old Made in USA don't have. But I hear you though, if I have a choice I'll go USA  !

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Shark Hunter

We are all a little crazy here Mike. ;)
If you decide to sell that reel to me. I will hot rod it, just like any of my older ones.
There is still some controversy if it is made in America or not. I just like the looks of it and would replace the sleeve with stainless. Black Pearl Gears and a ss Handle arm and fish it.
Maybe a frame too. ;D
Life is Good!

conchydong

Quote from: garking84 on February 21, 2015, 01:59:58 AM
Sorry for taking a long time in responding.  I feel asleep early last night and I just finished a 12 hr Shift.  I want to thank all of you for sharing your thoughts. Daron give me a few days to think about your offer. I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do, I like the reel but I'm a  little crazy I need to be 100% sure my reels are made in usa. All I use are old Penns and new avets . Does anyone know how I could contact penn maybe they know something we don't.

I believe Philly Guy told you it was made in the USA. I also believe Philly Guy probably works for Penn (although I have no actual knowledge of this).

Shark Hunter

Alright. Philly Guy!
We need a little more reference before all here will believe what you say is Gospel. ;)
It really doesn't matter to me. I can make it a fishing Machine either way. ;D
This is only the second time I have seen those plates and I like them!
Solid evidence will make all Believers. :D
Life is Good!

phillyguy

My picture a few posts up should sum it up.  China made 115L2 has 5 side plate screws, USA made 8.  115L2 has the RS bearing enclosed, USA made has the bearing visible.  115L2 has a 1/2 graphite frame with the stand rolled on, USA made has all posts with a separate stand.  The 115L2 has a different style knob then the made in USA barrel knob.  Look at the diameter differences of the gear sleeve hole.   :)

Alto Mare

I believe the reel was assembled here, this was their last run.  Good luck finding out if the parts were actually made here :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Yes, being proud of the manufacturing heritage in the US -- I would like to buy everything I use in life -- from only Domestic Manufacturers -- using American labor.

So sometimes this is possible -- but in the majority of cases, it is not realistic or even possible.  We are only going to pay so much for a product -- and few of us are willing to do that.

The bigger questions to ask ourselves: is the quality as good, are parts available, are parts overly expensive?

I will not even go into the greed and corruption that the corporations are allowed to practice.

We live in a global manufacturing society and age.

A majority of the products we purchase are made in other countries -- clothes, shoes, electronics, TVs, tools, and so many more.  As long as we are getting what we expect -- and can afford the items -- we generally do not worry about where it was manufactured.

For the last 20+ years -- all of the Dodge Cummins Diesel Ram trucks have been built in Mexico.  Few purchasers were/are aware of that fact.  The dealer never told them.  So these consumers proudly drove their trucks for 300K to 400K miles -- only finding out later that they were made in Mexico -- but after spending $30K to $50k for the truck, then discovering the digit number "3" at the start of their VIN -- they may not have bragged as loud -- but they appreciated the truck's quality.

I too would rather have everything be made in America -- but I think that dog is buried out back somewhere -- and has been for more than awhile.

We can hang onto the past for as long as possible, or we can move ahead.  Either way is OK.  It is just up to the individual to make informed choices.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Well said Fred. ;)
I got the opportunity to try a couple of reels from the other side, I was impressed.

There is good and bad everyway, for the most part, you get what you pay for.
You can't expect a $20 reel to do great things, I've seen some $300 reels that give others a tough time competing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

garking84

There seems to be some controversy on this reel, I guess I'll never be 100 % sure where it was made.  Some of you think it's china others think  usa  and have very good points. I have decided to keep this reel. Main reason is because I had already bought all the upgrades so I went ahead and installed them.  Here are some pics

Shark Hunter

Very Nice Upgrades! :o
Good Job! ;D
Life is Good!

garking84

Oops I forgot to mention something. When I was looking for answers to find out where it was made.  I found something interesting in  the schematics. It said that older reels didn't come with washer 8A and coller #9. They came with a different washer. Here's where I got all confused my reel has all the parts  :-\ .  

I'd like to thank all of you once again.  

Now i came across a problem and need help.  I removed 1 screw from the frame to grease everything up, but the other one won't budge it's stuck.  I tried putting tape around it and twisting with pliers and nothing.  Any suggestions