9/0 usa or china

Started by garking84, February 19, 2015, 11:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Be careful, they twist off easy.

Heat the stud and put penetrating oil on it, 50/50 ATF/Acetone or Kroil has worked well for me.  Let it cool and repeat.  After it cools again tighten it a tiny bit then put some oil on the end inside the frame.  Then back it out a bit more than you went in and lube the threads on the outside and inside of the frame.  Carefully repeat this until the stud starts coming out.

Good luck.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

garking84

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121135361974&alt=web

Well I got it out unfortunately the thread messed up.  I'm looking to get some studs do you all think these would work?

bluefish69

I have never held a 9/0 but I say that would be a 1/4-20 Stud or 10-24 Stud. Get a SS bolt from McMaster & Carr & cut the length you need.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Mike,
You haven't lived if you haven't held a 9/0. ;D
You want me to send you one? ;)
Life is Good!

bluefish69

No thank You that would be something else to put in storage room. I was concerned about the Studs on the reel. I'm slowing down buying reels.

Mike

CooldadE

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 28, 2015, 03:15:46 AM
Mike,
i I guess I can say I've lived now ... Yesterday I held my first 9/0 and bought it on the spot. Funny how it happened. The wife and I were going on a two day getaway so I checked craigslist in the area we were going to be and there it was ! It was a sign...anyway it is an experienced USA ball Bearing model. I'm looking forward to cracking her open...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

George4741

Mike,

I say that about the 10/0 and larger reels.  Hold one in your hands, then disassemble it and check out the gears.  You'll realize that you are in the realm of truly big game reels. 
viurem lliures o morirem

bluefish69

I would not be afraid to work on a 9/0 or bigger reel. I just don't have a use for any reel that large. I do have a 114HL with all the SS Goodies that will sit on a plinth until the Tuna come into Jamaica Bay on L.I.  The biggest fish I chase are Striped Bass, Cod & Pollack.

Mike

Shark Hunter

Quote from: George4741 on March 01, 2015, 04:09:10 AM
Mike,

I say that about the 10/0 and larger reels.  Hold one in your hands, then disassemble it and check out the gears.  You'll realize that you are in the realm of truly big game reels. 
Definitely George! Big Senators Rule!
They are perfect for the type of fishing I do. I love them! ;D
Life is Good!

George4741

Quote from: bluefish69 on March 01, 2015, 04:59:50 AM
I would not be afraid to work on a 9/0 or bigger reel. I just don't have a use for any reel that large. I do have a 114HL with all the SS Goodies that will sit on a plinth until the Tuna come into Jamaica Bay on L.I.  The biggest fish I chase are Striped Bass, Cod & Pollack.

Mike

You're right, Mike.  I probably don't have a use for anything larger than a 4/0 but I bought a 10/0 a while back.  Daron and Sal made me do it! ;)  At least I have the biggest reel in my neighborhood. ;D 
viurem lliures o morirem

bluefish69

I haven't found a use for anything bigger than a Newell 332 - 3/0 size. I have fished in 400' H2O & had no problems. I have 2 - 440's - 4/0 size that I never use.

Mike

Aiala

I have a sentimental love for the (USA-made) 9/0 because I caught my personal best 125# YFT on a stock 9/0 off the kite aboard Royal Polaris twenty-some years ago. The reel performed flawlessly! Lately, the addition of Dom/Tom frames makes them so irresistible that I'll probably end up with three of them. ("You know you're a reel-head when...")  ;)  :D  ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

If most of us actually "needed" a use for each reel we own -- we likely would not need much storage.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Quote from: foakes on March 01, 2015, 06:31:14 PM
If most of us actually "needed" a use for each reel we own -- we likely would not need much storage.

A-yuh... nothing like that pesky distinction between "need" and "want".   ::)  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D