9/0 usa or china

Started by garking84, February 19, 2015, 11:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garking84

I recently bought a 9/0 seller  said it's made in usa.  I paid 160 for a new 9/0 usa made I thought  it was a good deal. But nowhere on the reel does it say usa. Box says usa but then again you could always exchange boxes.  Sal, daron, all you senator experts please let me know what you think.

Tightlines667

I see the "Made in Usa" clearly visable on the box, but this looks like a Chinese made reel to me.  Eccentric lever & clicker recess on plates, head and tail plate markings, and rod clamp all say late model to me.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

I was told that Penn is making the 9/0 in the USA again. I'm pretty sure this is that new model. Putting made in USA on a foreign made product is not only unethical, it is illegal.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Three se7ens

http://www.pennfishingstore.com/penn-115l2-senator-l2-reel.html

The models with a 2 at the end of the model number are the current chinese made senators.  Also note that the model above has a graphite half frame.

garking84

The ebay pictures weren't close ups and he only had 3 pictures 2 of the reel and 1 of the box. Title says usa made I even asked the seller he confirmed usa made. I am very disappointed,  I just purchased accurate frame,  ss gear sleeve;, ss dogs yoke,  handle etc. Another 150 on the new rod.    >:(

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

garking84

Tightlines, I think your right the reels look exactly the same.  I'm gonna have to contact the seller and ask for a refund.  Now having said that what do you all think is a good price to pay for a 9/0 in excellent condition?

Three se7ens

I got my pristine, made in the USA model for around $120 shipped, and it already had a SS gear sleeve installed

Tightlines667

It should be worth all of $120.  They are still good working reels, and are lighter weight then the older 115 series.  Though many on the site have a strong opinion to the contrary, I know that reel can still catch fish.  It is not machined to the same tollerances, and may be a bit more prone to corrosion.  Don't get me wrong, I like the older reels better, but I have caught plenty of good fish on these reels stock as well.
Hope springs eternal

alantani

they may have used chinese parts, like stainless steel rings, bridge plates, yokes, and eccentric jacks.  personally, i wish penn would have done that long ago.  even cheap stainless is better than chrome that peels off.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

garking84

Let's say the seller refuses to refund my money.  Can I still add all the goodies to this reel accuframe ss gears etc. Or am I going to run into problems somewhere? Oh by the way guys iv been a member here for a while. I don't post much but I spend a lot of time on this site.  I'd like to say hi to all of you My name is Mike. I know there's another section where newbies introduce themselves,  but I'm not a newbie  ;D

Tightlines667

Welcome Mike!  Theres no reason to be afraid of posting here, I'm pretty sure none of us bite.  I think this reel model can take all the upgraded parts that are available here, and elsewhere.  It also does have the extrwnally accessable drag stack.  As I said, I wouldn't be afraid to fish it.  Looks like its in good overall condition.  If you do keep it, crack it open and give it a good prefishin service job.
Hope springs eternal

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

I would just roll with that reel Mike. I got some of those plates from Dom. I really like the look.
I am going to be honest.. I have been using some L2 parts in my older American Made 9/0's.
The spool and other parts will interchange with the older 9/0's. The biggest difference is the sleeve on the L2. It has a nut that goes on the sleeve. I tried an older 9/0 star on it and the threads are not exactly the same. The bridge will bolt right up to an older plate, I just swap the sleeve with stainless one anyway. The eccentric and all the screws and parts will work. Just swap the sleeve.
I built this one recently. It has been hot rodded to the hilt. Notice the plate. ;)
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

The addition of the SS rings makes keeping the reel worth it! To be honest I think the China made jigmasters are great and use parts from them all the time!