MAGNUM 500 - PENN JIGMASTER

Started by DaBigOno, February 21, 2015, 05:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otghoyt and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

David Hall

Way to go Mike that is a beauty and well done on making the plate and figuring out how to make that spool fit correctly.  This is the first silver Magnum I have seen and Adams star and handle with the AT-PK handle fits it well.  Looks like a serious fishing machine.  Awesome all the way around.

erikpowell

Is there a smily for a head turning long low whistle???    ;D  :o ;D
Wow, she's a beut!

Maxed Out

Wow  :o :o

This thread just keeps getting better and better. I hope someday it gets a sticky cause I never get tired of thumbing thru all the pages with the sweet reels. David the 99 magnum is a special reel, nicely done. Now Bryan has company.   Mike that is a super clean magnum and I like the silver on silver look. If I remember correctly you were searching for a spool ?? Looks like your search paid off !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

PacRat

Randy helped me out with that spool. It took me about two years to get this together. The spool was the difficult part and I didn't want to invest in the rest unless I could obtain a spool. This dictated the rest of the build. Randy and I both agreed that the full width 500 spool loaded with 80 lb. braid would really allow the full potential of the Magnum to be realized. Then Al started this thread with his gorgeous black magnum and it really inspired me to keep this build moving along. I couldn't have completed this reel without this site and all the talent and knowledge represented here.
Thank you everyone
Mike

reel addict

Wow now thats a very nice silver magnum a color not seen to often congrats on your build.

coastal_dan

This thread is filled with a whole lot of awesome...that is all  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

David Hall

Anybody seen a double dog bridge yet?
The final piece to making these super tanks.

On a more serious note, I'm trying to understand the spool and gear interface in the is reel.  I know the magnum uses a larger shaft diameter, I'm wondering how this plays with the pinion gears?
Are the exclusive to the magnum?
Can we use BP 2nd generation gears and pinions?

day0ne

It used the gears from a 113H. The 113H pinion has a larger hole than the 500 pinion. This is why you need a special spool. A 500(99,501) spool with the larger diameter 113H shaft.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Maxed Out

Quote from: David Hall on May 16, 2016, 08:02:53 PM
Anybody seen a double dog bridge yet?
The final piece to making these super tanks.

On a more serious note, I'm trying to understand the spool and gear interface in the is reel.  I know the magnum uses a larger shaft diameter, I'm wondering how this plays with the pinion gears?
Are the exclusive to the magnum?
Can we use BP 2nd generation gears and pinions?

I am waiting for you to be the crash test dummy David  ;D ;D

I have 4 DD bridges coming and I may try one on the magnum, but haven't decided yet. Sal may already have the answer to these fitting a magnum.

Ted

PacRat

Ted,
I would bet my bottom dollar that it will fit.  The Magnums use 113 bridges and gears and interface over to Jigmaster at the modified yoke. The mext part in line is the jack and that's Jigmaster. I think if it fits Accuplates; it will fit Magnums.
That's my two cents worth...I'm not even crossing my fingers...call it 'Blind Faith'.
-Mike

Maxed Out

Quote from: PacRat on May 16, 2016, 11:08:52 PM
Ted,
I would bet my bottom dollar that it will fit.  The Magnums use 113 bridges and gears and interface over to Jigmaster at the modified yoke. The mext part in line is the jack and that's Jigmaster. I think if it fits Accuplates; it will fit Magnums.
That's my two cents worth...I'm not even crossing my fingers...call it 'Blind Faith'.
-Mike

Well Mike, if the magnums are milled the same as a standard accurate 113H plate, then we know it'll fit. The new bridges were tested and do fit the accurate 113H plates, but were not tested in a magnum.

I'd bet my bottom dollar too Mike, but my bottom dollar would fit in my wife's coin purse.  ;D ;D

Ted

David Hall

I'm 99.99% sure The bridge will fit, I was just wondering about my gear set options.
The new 2nd generation gears would be nice, but I have Adams inserts and accurate gear sets so that's what's going in the first ones. Just a few more days until the bridges ship.

mikeysm

Here is my squidder magnum. I had to modify the right side plate to get the duel dog bridge to fit. The dog spring post was hitting the plate and it wouldn't allow the bridge to line up with the screw holes. The 5.1 gears work with no problems. They are a little tight and will need time to break in.

Mike

David Hall

Wish you had pictures of your mods to the side plate, I'm assuming you just milled it down a hair to make the fit?

mikeysm

I still have some mods left I will take some pictures as soon as the parts get here. As for the cutting it was very little. I used a small die grinder. I may have to do a little more. Tom's idea of removing material everywhere you can on the 113 plates was a good idea they should have used when they built this tank. Their is to much extra metal that can be removed to save weight. Maybe I will give I some thought and do it. I would have to go through reanodising but the weight saving would be quite a bit. They put no thought in it when they made these plates and frame. Even the spool is heavy duty.

Mike