Accurate 113HLW Californian

Started by Shark Hunter, February 22, 2015, 02:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I got my newest reel today. She is a Looker! :o

Life is Good!

cwillis85

Looker for sure, what's the specs on a Californian?
Chris

Dominick

She's a beaut.  Put white line on it and you have the American Flag.   :-* Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

fIsHsTiiCkS

That is a beauty! Your reel collection is amazing!

Tightlines667

I was thinking the 4th of July special. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: cwillis85 on February 22, 2015, 02:12:56 AM
It is 3" inside the frame. 1/2" wider than a stock 113H. I searched high and low for info on this frame before I bought it. Evidently, There was a Tackle shop in  Cali named Turners, and these were sold exclusively by them. I've never seen one bigger than a Jigmaster and not in this good of shape.
There was no info on the internet. This information came from Paul Berinson and Randy Pauly.
Thank You Gentleman.
$159 delivered!
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 22, 2015, 04:31:43 AM
Quote from: cwillis85 on February 22, 2015, 02:12:56 AM
It is 3" inside the frame. 1/2" wider than a stock 113H. I searched high and low for info on this frame before I bought it. Evidently, There was a Tackle shop in  Cali named Turners, and these were sold exclusively by them. I've never seen one bigger than a Jigmaster and not in this good of shape.
There was no info on the internet. This information came from Paul Berinson and Randy Pauly.
Thank You Gentleman.
$159 delivered!

Turners is a big chain out here. Im surprised it was sold exclusively by them! I will have to look into.

Shark Hunter

Please Do Jason. I am having a hard time coming up with any information about this frame.
I rolled the dice on this one, and it came up 7! ;D
Life is Good!

day0ne

I always understood that the Turners Californian was just the custom color, though I could be wrong. How does the width compare with a regular 113HLW?
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Ron Jones

There is a bunch of gear in my tackle box bought at the original Turner's by my Grandfather. My first Mauser was bought there. I remember those frames on the Counter. The old man's boat was a Californian, I always thought it would be cool to have a set of those reels on the back.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

doradoben

Nice Senator, Daron. As far as I know, these frames were only sold by Turners because "Caifornian" is their registered trademark.   

Shark Hunter

From an anonymous member. This pretty much tells the tale of the "Californian". ;)
Turners is a gun & fish sporting goods retailer in Ca. with about 15 or 20 stores that was started by a woman that lived in Chino Hills. When she retired the chain was sold to investors that had big plan of taking the company public. The financial crash and poor management changed that. The chain was eventually sold to an employee group and has recovered. Early on, fishing gear was the primary focus, but the stores all had gun counters. They stocked a very large variety of good brand name rods and reels and their own line of Californian rods and other items like your Caifornian frame. These items were of high quality, produced by manufacturers that you would recognize and carried warranties that were superior to the same manufacturer's identical (non-private label) merchandise.
During that period they sold more Californian rods that any of their other private label items, and it's easy to understand why. The rods were U.S.A. made Californian by Penn during the period that Penn owned Sabre. They stocked the popular models and broken rods were exchanged over the counter, even if you slammed a car door on the tip. I still have some of these rods I don't fish that are the same honey color as Seeker Classics factory wrapped in blue & black that would match your reel.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

A guy in Hawaii (Stan, if you are watching) has 2 sets of Californian sideplates.  Very cool color.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

so much for the retirement fund......  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

I've shopped many of the Turners during various season, trout, bass, ocean surface, surf casting, turkey, duck, dove....well you get the picture......Turners has always been well stocked and good counter people....bought my last two firearms there and my boys always look forward to "going to Turners" for thre beginning of dove season.....my favorite fish killin' rig is a Penn 112H and Penn Californian Rod C870C 7'....darn thing has 7 guides on a 7' rod....alwys my go to rod/reel for anything....caught a lot of salmon this year on it.......would love to have more rods made in this size quality.....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!