Will a 6/0 give enough drag to fish 80lb?

Started by Jason Groombridge, February 23, 2015, 05:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Groombridge

G'day All,

I have a Senator 114H (the older one with brass spool and all bars) that I picked up in a multiple reel deal. It is a bit worse for wear and needs quite a few parts replaced. Which got me to thinking, can I hotrod it and fish 80lb on it? I already have 2 Sealine 600's for 24kg outfits so don't need any more 24kg reels. I wouldn't mind an 80lb outfit so was wondering if the 6/0, with mods, will stand up to 26lbs of drag? Will it even generate 26lbs of drag or do I need to modify the drag to get this amount.

I'm guessing to make it solid enough to fish 80lb then it is going to need:

-Tiburon frame
-Double dogs in SS??
-Better arm and bigger handle
-SS yoke??
-SS gear sleeve
-SS gears??

I don't need huge line capacity, about 600 metres all up would be OK. I plan to run braid and a mono topshot. I'm guessing the narrow frame and spool would have enough capacity.

Or do I just fix it with standard parts, sell it and get a 9/0?

Cheers

Jason

MarkT

I use mine for trolling and dropper loop with 80#. It has a Tiburon frame but is stock other than that.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shark Hunter

Jason,
Its good to see you again! ;D
With a new 5 stack drag kit. That reel should meet your needs as is.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Hey Jason,

That's a great reel for an 80lb outfit and it doesn't need much! Nice 5 stack and you are good to go.

DaBigOno

I use a stock, beat-up 6/0 w/aluminum half-frame with straight 80 lb mono for trolling.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Bryan Young

The reel can handle 80#.  I get consistently 28# max on 114Hs that I service.  If you need a little more, then I recommend getting Penn full or half aluminum frame, Tiburon or Accurate aftermarket frame for added rigidity and support.

If you want a little more drag to spare, I have a 7 stack drag kit or there are some newer systems that will be coming out shortly as well.

replacement of the parts you mentioned, I recommend replace them as needed.

good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jason Groombridge

Awwww, come on guys, I was hoping you'd tell me I HAD to do all those things! Get the impression that I'm keen to hotrod this reel?

In all seriousness, thankyou for your replies. It's good to know the reel will handle 80lb as it is because then I can clean it up, get the missing parts and go fishing. I think I will do as Bryan suggests and upgrade things as they need it and as I can afford it.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Jason

Shark Hunter

Alright Jason. You asked for it! ;D
Tiburon P-60 frame-$90
Gen 2 ss sleeve-$40
Double dogs-another $3 since the gen 2 kit comes with one.
Black Pearl ss gear set standard-$80
Bryans 7 stack kit-$37
That's $250 without an aluminum spool.
Get crackin' Buddy! ;)
Life is Good!

Jason Groombridge

G'day SH,

Yeah I get your point, I guess that's $US too, not $AU, and postage would need to be added on. Will definitely be a work in progress then.

Am I better of ditching the brass spool and getting an aluminium one?

Cheers

Jason

Shark Hunter

No,
Not really, It just makes the reel lighter without that heavy cast spool. In terms of Hot rodding one. Then the Aluminum spool would be an option. The cast one is tough as nails and I fish them with my Larger Senators. They are just Heavy compared to an Aluminum model.
If you need anything I can help you with Jason, Just let me know Buddy. ;)
Life is Good!

Porthos

You could take one of your 600H's and upgrade the drag stack to 5 washers + 1 delrin undergear and use that as your 80lb setup--taking full advantage of the all metal one-piece frame and side plates--a $40 USD project, factoring shipping to Australia. Then, clean up the 114H with new greased HT-100's for a 5+1 config ($30 USD?) transfer the 600H's line over, and use it as your "new" 24kg rig.

A $70 USD project vs. $300+ USD on the Penn only.

I have three 600H's converted as described above fished as 60lb, 80lb, and 100lb respectively.

They are pictured here (starting from the Fin Nor LT100 spinner) on the fourth, seventh, and eighth setups. The photo was from on-board the Alan Tani 2014 June 5-Day Spirit of Adventure Charter.

jonnou

Quote from: Porthos on February 24, 2015, 03:47:27 PM
You could take one of your 600H's and upgrade the drag stack to 5 washers + 1 delrin undergear and use that as your 80lb setup--taking full advantage of the all metal one-piece frame and side plates--a $40 USD project, factoring shipping to Australia. Then, clean up the 114H with new greased HT-100's for a 5+1 config ($30 USD?) transfer the 600H's line over, and use it as your "new" 24kg rig.

A $70 USD project vs. $300+ USD on the Penn only.

I have three 600H's converted as described above fished as 60lb, 80lb, and 100lb respectively.

They are pictured here (starting from the Fin Nor LT100 spinner) on the fourth, seventh, and eighth setups. The photo was from on-board the Alan Tani 2014 June 5-Day Spirit of Adventure Charter.

Thats a good point I am planning to fish a stock 114 with 80lb braid and mono topshot and am also working on 900h and 600h to marlin fish along side 50w lever and 80w leverdrag reels. this is on a very small budget

Porthos

Quote from: jonnou on February 25, 2015, 10:16:33 PMThats a good point I am planning to fish a stock 114 with 80lb braid and mono topshot and am also working on 900h and 600h to marlin fish along side 50w lever and 80w leverdrag reels. this is on a very small budget

The last of my three 600H's came off of eBay for $39.
Bryan Young's drag kit was $28.
6/0 power handle from eBay: $21.

Grand total for my 100lb reel: $88.

600 meters of Toro Tamer 100lb braid will probably run $80.
The rod is an Okuma Convector E-Glass 40-100lb: $46 (SD Day at the Docks special).

Grand total for the 100lb "setup": $214.

alantani

compared to a two speed reel that starts at $500!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jason Groombridge

Both my 600H's have already been upgraded with a 5 stack drag kit from Bryan and Alan's handles. Maybe I should fish them as my 80lb reels and then get another matching Penn for my 24kg outfits. Or maybe some more Sealines?

I'm right there with you Porthos. I don't have heaps of money to spend on fishing gear and for the price of 1 lever drag game reel I can probably come close to setting up 2 x 24kg and 2 x 37kg outfits including nice rods (I build my own).

I think in my 600H's I have a CF washer under the main gear. Should I replace that with delrin and where can I get delrin washers to suit? Are the factory washers from under the main gear delrin?

Cheers

Jason