Will a 6/0 give enough drag to fish 80lb?

Started by Jason Groombridge, February 23, 2015, 05:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I doubt you have Delrin under gear washers. That is something fairly new that Sal started and it is a Definite improvement over the carbon fiber or stock red washer undergear.
Not sure if you are talking about the Daiwa or the Penn, but if you got Bryan's kit, I'm sure its carbon fiber on the Daiwa. I would just fish it as is. The next time you service it, replace it with Delrin.
Life is Good!

Porthos

Given that the CF undergear washer shredded for Sal at 28.5lbs (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7564.0), fishing 80lb test would mean 26.7lbs drag with the 1/3 rule, so 26-27lbs is pushing close to the point of failure. Just for my own personal sense of adequate margin of safety, I've settled on 20lbs to be the transition point from CF to delrin for the undergear washer. Would seem to help more than it hurts.

I've measured up to 42lb drag using Bryan's 600H kits, though I hesitate pushing it that high and expect consistent drag performance. For the 100lb rig, at a more realistic 30-31 lbs drag, delrin still seems more a necessity than a nice-to-have, IMHO. Seem to recall that Dawn at Smooth Drags said she had delrin washers for the 600H...

For 24kg, the 114H with posts seem like a good fit. Alternatively, the 400H's with Bryan's 400H kit would be good too. I've one 400H with doubled-up HT-100's that gets me smooth 20lbs drag with the star tight though not close to being locked down.

Would 114H's or 400H's be cheaper down under? 400H's have been harder to come by and pricing out higher than 600H's on eBay here in the US.

Shark Hunter

That is it in a nutshell Portos. The Delrin is a necessity if you push your reel close to 30lbs.
One nice fish and that carbon fiber undergear is shredded.
Not that the reel won't keep working, but the Delrin can take it again. ;D
Life is Good!

Jason Groombridge

Yep my undergear washer is CF.

Might have to think on this one a bit. Senator or 400H?

Thanks for all the replies and help guys.

Cheers

Jason

Porthos

The doubled-up HT-100's on my 400H is without Bryan's kit. Was going order one to be a later project until GSTOURS offered up his spare 400H thin washers (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13139.0).

If the 400H only had Daiwa's factory washers then Bryan's kit would be the way to go. Or, just double up the drag washers like Alan did (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8.0) to get to 20lbs (though Bryan's kit would still be a nicer upgrade).

Good luck with your 114H or Sealine quest. Tight lines!

Bryan Young

If you have already doubled with the HT-100 drag washers and you get the drag range you need on your 400H, then I believe you don't need to spend any more money.  Fish it as is and you are good to go.  If you need slightly higher drag numbers, up to 8# more drag, then my kit would help.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D