Protruding stand screws on my 501...

Started by Aiala, February 24, 2015, 09:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Well, it's probably no big surprise that the screws I ordered on eBay were nothing like what I need... drat... good one, Aiala.  >:(

BUT THEN...

I receive in today's mail a surprise package from the Incredible Mr. Tani containing an assortment of different-sized screws, and to my delight, a couple of them fit my reel perfectly!  :D

So once again, as happens so frequently hereabouts that it's a commonplace, the Boss di tutti Bosses has saved a clueless mortal (me) from my own ineptitude. A simple "Thank you, Alan" seems so inadequate... I mean, I'd gladly genuflect, except that it might be considered bad form and in any case, being a Jewish lady, I don't know how.  ::)

Meanwhile, onward to my next foul-up...er, project!  ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

genuflect? I had to look that one up! :D
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Aiala, there are no foul ups, just learning mistakes. It's allllllll good!
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Awesome.

What you call foul ups I call opportunities for improvements
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

my pleasure!  if you're going to keep working on reels, it's good to have an assortment of these fillister head machine screws.  they come in very handy.  looking forward to seeing that reel on our trip. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Aiala

Quote from: alantani on March 02, 2015, 11:53:12 PM
If you're going to keep working on reels, it's good to have an assortment of these fillister head machine screws.

Absolutely! Sal suggested McMaster Carr... how do I know which sizes/lengths to order? Can you give me some of the more common numbers?

Quote from: alantani on March 02, 2015, 11:53:12 PMLooking forward to seeing that reel on our trip. 

I'll be bringing it, for sure. In fact, I plan on filling it with (dare I say it??) braid... my first time using the stuff. What would be a good lb-test for this 501 reel? (It's just stock with greased CF, not tanked up with enough drag to land an orca.) Also, will I be needing some compatible flourocarbon?

Thanks!  :)

~A~

Bryan Young

I would recommend 65# braid if any.  You will have plenty of line with that reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Aiala, I usually order: 5-40 x 3/8", 5-40 x 1/2" and 5-40 x 5/8". Those will take care most penn. If you need them for the Accu-Plates, I would also order 5-40 x 3/4" & 5-40 x 1". It's always good to have an assortment and they're not expensive.
These are fillister head, I'm not sure socket heads are available in dimensions listed above. Socket heads are better to work with, but after installing them, I like the way these fillister heads look much better, I also like the way the head is rounded.
I might be the only one that like those better ;D
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 04, 2015, 06:02:53 PM
Aiala, I usually order: 5-40 x 3/8", 5-40 x 1/2" and 5-40 x 5/8". Those will take care of most Penns. If you need them for the Accu-Plates, I would also order 5-40 x 3/4" & 5-40 x 1". It's always good to have an assortment and they're not expensive.

Sal, great, thanks! I'm ordering 20 each from a place called Fastenal. (I couldn't find the 5/8 size at McMaster-Carr.) I really appreciate the guidance... much obliged!   :)

~A~

Keta

Fastenall is a good source but my local store does not sell less than 100 each for small SS screws.  

Quote from: Aiala on March 02, 2015, 11:14:30 PM
Well, it's probably no big surprise that the screws I ordered on eBay were nothing like what I need... drat... good one, Aiala.  >:(  

Let me guess, jdltreasures1?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Quote from: Keta on March 06, 2015, 03:33:58 PM
Let me guess, jdltreasures1?

No, someone else, and it was entirely my mistake. I've ordered from JDL a couple of times, no problems that I can recall.  :)

~A~