Protruding stand screws on my 501...

Started by Aiala, February 24, 2015, 09:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Here is the latest addition to my color fleet, with AccuPlates from Randy and Black Pearl's SS bars:

Isn't it pretty? I do have one question, though: As you can see, the screws attaching the side plates to the reel stand are a bit long and protrude underneath the spool:

There seems to be adequate clearance and the spool spins like a banshee, but... should I find/use shorter screws? And if so, can anyone offer suggestions as to what size/number/type SS screws I need, and possible sources where I can buy them?

As always, thanks for the help!   :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

I would go with shorter screws. You can either cut them find shorter screws.  Let me see how long mine are and I'll see if I have anything.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Oh wait, I have an accurate frame...my screw lengths is irrelevant.   Sorry.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Wow Aiala!! Nice reel. Your gonna give Sal and Daron a run for their money on the extent of collections :o you've been posting up some very nice reels as of late. Keep up the good work!!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

coastal_dan

That looks awesome!  I agree with BMITCH, you have quite the nice collection.  Shorter screws would look much better, sorry, can't help with the size though.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Keta

Nice reel.

The threads will shred your line.

The Penn (not SS) screws you need are 39-5 (short) and 32-16-CH (shorter).  They are the off handle side frame screws.  I prefer brass screws in aluminum over SS but if you grease the threads it's not that much of a problem.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

I'd tke one out and measure it against those still in place to determine the correct length then cut them to that length.  If it doesn't work out then buy new ones. Should be fine and not take too long.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Marcq

franky

I agree.  I would dremel those down to make them flush. Nice reel Aiala.  :)

alantani

if you can mike it out and give me a length, i can see what i have. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jig-guy

Wow that is a nice looking reel, GOOD JOB.

Alto Mare

As always, thanks for the help!   :)

[/quote]
Beautiful reel Aiala.
If you're still looking these might help, you would have stainless steel screws on stainless steel spacer bars.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screws/=w1yyct
http://www.mcmaster.com/#91794A128
I can't really measure the screws, my only Accurate reel left for our future project.
The sizes that should work are: 3/8"- 1/2"- 3/4"
These screws are good to have for other projects as well.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CooldadE

Aiala, That is one beautiful colored frame...especially sense it matches my eyes.  ;)

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

fIsHsTiiCkS

I am a bit partial to using these screws in my accurate conversations. http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=w202wp. They have the sizing all the way down to a 1/4. I have all the sizes if you want me to measure it out on when of my accurate frames.

DaBigOno

Sweet looking reel Aiala!   Girl got some skills!!

Two thumbs up...
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono