9/0 Frames

Started by Cortez_Conversions, February 25, 2015, 03:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on July 25, 2015, 04:14:45 PM
Dominick, i have with the high bar in front so if I need to thumb the reel, it's easier.
I haven't actually tested it with a fish but I have with a simulation of a fish and it wasn't a problem. Maybe it's possible but I don't see it.
If you don't buy one of these for joe, I'm telling him when we get together next time😬
Dom
Dom, Joe is one of the least mechanically minded guy I know.  I rebuilt a reel for him and sent it with the handle loose so that it would fit in the box.  I had to splain (Desi Arnez quote) him on how to put the handle on.  All he wants to do is fish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

LOL, now that you know what you're dealing with, you also know that you have to set up the reel ready to fish... like I do for my mom. ;)
PS- so you got the mechanical mind and he gets the fish in the cooler... you got a raw deal pal. :-*
Dom

Dominick

Here are a couple of pictures of the shark handle especially for Aiala.  This is how it shines.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Good work on that Dominick!
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Oooooo...
uuuuuuu....
ahhhhhh...

So shiny :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Aiala

Quote from: Dominick on July 27, 2015, 07:14:39 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of the shark handle especially for Aiala.  This is how it shines.  Dominick

Wholly catz!!   :o  :o

Okay, Dominick, so I followed Adam's and your advice and got the sandpapers and the SS polish and I've started on the handles... they're brightening up a lot, but geez, nothing like yours! Thing is, I'm a bit leery about applying too much pressure for fear of scratching the metal... how hard should I bear down? I see you wrap the sandpaper around a wooden block... is that the way to go?   ???

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Three se7ens

Aiala, do you have an electric buffer?  If not, you need to wetsand with very fine with the sandpaper, all the way up to 2000 grit before polishing to get a mirror finish.  Electric buffers, especially the bench grinder type can polish out the scratches from much coarser sandpaper than you will be able to buff out by hand.  How many different grits you want to buy depends on how much money and effort you want to put into it, but as a general rule of thumb, the larger the "step" between grits, the more work it will take to remove the scratches from the last step.  Water with a tiny bit of dish soap keeps the sandpaper from clogging up, and it leaves a better finish.  Change paper when it starts to lose its grit. 

Shark Hunter

Dominick,
I  have a half dozen on the way to work your magic on. ;D
Life is Good!

David Hall

I can't wait to see your hand polished 9/0 frames.

Dominick

Aiala Adam is correct.  I have an electric sander and change sandpaper often.  Wet sanding is better.  I actually got bored and stopped short of where I really wanted it.  I figured I would get back to it when I was in between projects.  That block of wood was for something else.  I used it to prop up the reel.  If you don't have an electric buffer send it to me.  Daron I'll be glad to work on one for you also.  Adam I ran into a problem with the locking screw.  I had to tap the hole because the screw would not work.  I used a 5-40 tap and it worked really well.  Dominick

broadway

You did a great job on that handle... what a difference!
Thanks for the explanation, I may need to try that on some of my lightly scratched and not so shiny aftermarket handles.
Dom

Shark Hunter

Dominick,
I'm going to take you up on that. I am so busy working on the guts right now. I have Tom's SS Sleeves paired with Adam's Big boy Inserts, SS gears on the 14/0, Double dogging with my latest order from Lee's stainless dogs. So many reels, so little time.
I actually fished one of these my last trip. The tail is sharp as hell. ::)
Adam did good on these. ;D
Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: Dominick on July 28, 2015, 04:15:24 AM
If you don't have an electric buffer send it to me. Dominick

Dominick, I don't have a sander/buffer, so like Dom I shall take you up on your very kind offer. (I've got two of Adam's handles, one regular and one counterbalanced.) I'm not going fishing until the end of October (3 months from today, come to think of it) so no rush.

I had a feeling there was a little more to this process than just hand sanding.  :-\

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: Aiala on July 28, 2015, 02:09:52 PM
Quote from: Dominick on July 28, 2015, 04:15:24 AM
If you don't have an electric buffer send it to me. Dominick

Dominick, I don't have a sander/buffer, so like Dom I shall take you up on your very kind offer. (I've got two of Adam's handles, one regular and one counterbalanced.) I'm not going fishing until the end of October (3 months from today, come to think of it) so no rush.

I had a feeling there was a little more to this process than just hand sanding.  :-\

~A~
Dominick, would you buff out 3 of AT handle wrenches for me while you are at buffing out the handle arms? ;)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 28, 2015, 05:18:37 PM
Dominick, would you buff out 3 of AT handle wrenches for me while you are at buffing out the handle arms? ;)

Bryan I don't think they will buff up.  It takes 2 hours and longer to do the handles.  I will try on and see if it will work.  Dominick