Ted's Pot O' Gold 2.0

Started by Shark Hunter, March 01, 2015, 07:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Ted is right -- get rid of the line tie post either by pulling or cutting -- it isn't needed -- and it will spoil your day when polishing a spool using any sort of machine.

Everyone will have their own style of polishing a spool -- for me, I sort of do things backwards -- trying to make things simpler, safer, and quicker.

Since I have an assortment of 4 line winders -- the two largest I use for polishing spools.  One handles up to a 6/0 -- the larger one handles larger reels.

Since I believe the safest place, if possible, to spin a spool -- is on the reel.

Here is my method:

Before breaking down the reel, oil the heck out of the tail and head plate oil ports.

Strip off the line

Attach the reel to the line winder

Using the foot control, clean the spool with "0000" steel wool very deeply and thoroughly

Then finish off with a few minutes of Never Dull

Now the spool is very clean and polished as deeply as you may want

Clean as normal all parts, using any method you prefer -- ultrasonic, Dawn, simple green, toothbrush, etc..

Reassemble, lube, adjust, tune

Lastly, put the completed reel back on the line winder -- do another treatment for about 4 minutes with Never Dull.  

Finish the Polish job with a microfiber or soft flannel cloth

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Fred,

Good tip.  I may have to wait on spool polishing/waxing until I've reassembled the reel, mounted it on my spooling machine and just prior to filling it with new line.  I usually just do it slowly by hand with 0000 steel wool, and finish with carnuba wax, after a trip to the ultrasobic cleaner.  I am going to give this one a try.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.